• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nord to Montparnasse question

trinencadian

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2013
Hi all!

I’m starting to poke around more seriously trying to figure out my trip from London to SJPDP. I won’t have the jet lag issue since I’m arriving in London on April 17th (a.m.) and looking to start heading to SJPDP on April 19th.

I am leaning towards the train because I have a serious soft spot for trains and not to mention the other time I’ve done the Paris to Southwest France train trip, I did it at night so I want to do it during the day this time.

I know I can't book until 90 days before leaving but I did manage to find the hours of the trip I'd probably like to take. Depart London at 7:55am (St Pancras) and arrive at Paris Nord at 11:26am. Apparently, I’m to somehow make it from Nord to Montparnasse in an hour as the TGV train leaves at 12:27pm. Has anyone done the trip from Gare Nord to Gare Montparnasse? I did check around online and some seem to say it is a 15 minute metro trip and others say it is over an hour metro trip! So I’m confused :oops: Anyone has experience on this?

The rest of the trip is straightforward: arrive in Bayonne at 5:32pm, depart on a TER train at 6:07pm arriving in SJPDP at 7:33. My idea would be to then find a place to sleep (or pre-book), find dinner, sleep, next morning wander the town and have lunch. Then about 1pm, make the trek to Orisson, where I have a booking for the night.

Thanks!
-T

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Looking at a Paris Metro map, it appears fairly straightforward to get from Gare du Nord down to Gare Montparnasse, and I would allow about an hour all told. Take the #4 subway line; there are no line changes necessary. An hour will allow time to navigate the (rambling and poorly signed) train stations on either end, where there is much walking and stair-climbing involved.

Be sure to pick up a sandwich or two at the Gare Montparnasse, for your on-train picnic meal on the trip down.

When you buy your TGV ticket, you will get a seat reservation as well.

Bon chemin!

T:

It was 2010 when I took this route and my English friend who accompanied me to the Montparnesse station spoke French. As I recall, we walked into an underground tunnel system and purchased Metro train tickets. Then walked through the tunnel system to an underground train. We rode this train for a short while, less than 10 minutes, then exited through another tunnel system into the Montparnesse Station. There are many signs and maps at each entrance/exit along the way. On my return, I easily found my way and speak no French. Next year when I walked, I flew from Stansted airport North of London. It was about a 50 minute ride (50 quid) from London by car. Then a 2 hour flight to Biarritz. A short cab or bus ride to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPdP. This route is much quicker and cheaper than the train.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, for your responses Joe and Kitsambler! I’m laughing because your two response are exactly what I’m finding online – some say an hour and others say 10-15 minutes! What I’m now thinking of doing, to avoid this whole Nord-Montparnasse thing is leave a couple days earlier and travel through Toulouse and reconnect with that lovely city (was there for 5 months in 2006).

Thanks for your input!
-T

Just to be clear, the hour I was quoting allowed for the walking portions within the two train stations as well as the train ride between them. (That's the translation of "all told".)

T:

Gare du Nord ▶ Gare Montparnasse

Walk off the Eurostar platform, turn left, and follow the signs for Metro line M4.

Take metro line M4 direct to Montparnasse Bienvenue (follow signs 'M4 direction Porte d'Orléans').

In contrast to other Paris mainline stations, where the metro platforms are more or less directly underneath the mainline platforms, at Montparnasse it's a 700 metre (750 yard) underground walk from the metro station to the mainline TGV platforms through broad well-lit well-signed subways, with moving walkways for the long bits. Allow plenty of time for the transfer, and if you're not good with longish walks with luggage (even with the moving walkways), consider taking a taxi from Paris Nord to the Gare Montparnasse.

Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back