• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nordiac poles vs hiking poles

DeniseT

Time of past OR future Camino
Future:) 01 Jun 2017 SJPDP
hey all, booked on our first Camino next May fro SJDP, I have very ordinary knees and back. Have heard Nordiac style walking takes some pressure of . Anyone had any experience with Nordic style compared hiking poles?cheers

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I did a Nordic walking course couple of years ago - it was interesting, but not really suited to long distance walking carrying a backpack.
A different type of pole to the normal trekking version is needed, and a completely different technique. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing both methods.
Nordic walking is more aerobic exercise - OK if you're training for the SAS, but not for the ups and downs of the camino trail, IMO, so you would be far better taking the pressure off with regular trekking poles - as many on here will tell you, they do make a real difference. However, please make sure you do use poles properly (again, lots of videos out there) - many on the camino seem to carry them more as a fashion accessory, often waving them around like a drum major with his baton...lol
Good luck.

Many Nordic poles are not collapsible. Three section trekking poles are much more convenient for getting through airports (you probably will need to check them, or check your pack containing them). When you have a twenty pound pack on your back, the Nordic trekking techniques won't work as well as they do on flat walking around one's neighborhood.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Both nordic and regular trekking poles can be used to reduce the amount of weight carried by lower joints (hips and below). However, I agree with @Travellingman, and suspect it is unlikely that you would be able to maintain a nordic walking style even if you were using nordic poles. So unless you intend to take up nordic walking as an activity before or after your camino, I don't think spending more on nordic poles is warranted.

I agree with the comments already made. I use Nordic Poles at home and used these poles on the Camino because they are the ones I am used to. I agree that you won't be able to keep up a proper Nordic walking technique for long while Camino walking.
I am a keen Nordic walker and lead walks for Age U.K. anyone of 50 yrs can join these walks. If you decide take up Nordic walking it is advisable to go on a short training course to learn the technique.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.