• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nordic poles

G

Garfield

Just completed the first stage of the French way and took the Napolian route which is beautiful but higher and tougher of the two routes. We have Nordic poles which I feel helps us a lot. I had never used them before but watched a couple of you tube instructions on how they should be used. It takes a little practice and technique. I saw many people who didnt know how to use the poles and they seemed more of a hinderance for them. Which on day one on the Naploeon route.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never bought into the "proper use" of poles. Seems a bit silly as they become an extension of a person in 500 miles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am so used it, can't walk without poles. People may not know that the advantages of trekking poles have been scientifically proven in study after study. Once you discover their benefits you will never walk without them. Buen camino.

After 500 miles of free styling I don't suppose you would want to change. I refuse (sadly cannot) unlearn my poor guitar playing technique. All I am saying is that if you are going to walk for 150 hours over 30 plus days it might be worth spending 5 minutes watching a video of someone who might know more about walking sticks than one might think possible.

After 500 miles of free styling I don't suppose you would want to change. I refuse (sadly cannot) unlearn my poor guitar playing technique. All I am saying is that if you are going to walk for 150 hours over 30 plus days it might be worth spending 5 minutes watching a video of someone who might know more about walking sticks than one might think possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I am so used it, can't walk without poles. People may not know that the advantages of trekking poles have been scientifically proven in study after study. Once you discover their benefits you will never walk without them. Buen camino.
I agree. The most important time to have a set of poles along for the walk is once the person gets tired and starts to walk with poor form. Once the mind thinks the body is tired and muscles react accordingly that is when the poles can maintain good form and reduce the perceived rate of exertion.

When my girlfriend and I started the Camino Frances we wondered if they would really help us were 65 year old walkers. We finished and came into Santiago yesterday. I will say definitely yes to trekking poles. Why: on hills, in mud patches weather for a few feet or all day especially with a pack on, better center of balance, on long days by day's end with out them at home my knees hurt a bit on the Camino on long days with a pack on varied terrain they didn't, they were well worth the money. We got black diamond carbon fiber poles with cork handles with rubber tips which have lasted the whole trip and used all day everyday. I see many using the metal points .which seem to work too. I would have had a great deal more knee and ankle issues if I didn't have them and use them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back