• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nordic Walking

JasonR

Hi All,
I have a few months to prepare for the camino and recently I can across the concept of Nordic walking. It essentially like cross country skiing without skis or snow! Apparently you need special poles and a bit of training. I have a bad knee and ankle and the guy who is promoting it in the uk (i bumped into him the other day) says it would be ideal. Concerns are:
1) can it work on non smooth/or steep terain and therefore relevant to the camino
2) I dont want to treat the camino as a race, again is it relevant when moving at a normal pace...ive seen videos of superfit ladies doing about 40 mph across a playing field!
3) i am inherantly a traditionalist and am concerned about looking like a winter olympic wannabee

would appreciate any ones views/opinions

Good luck everyone!
Jason

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jason -

There are all kinds of "training" regimes that folks will suggest for you.

At worst, some training programs may make you susceptible to injury, at best, they will not prepare you for the repetetive 20+ days of walking on varied surfaces and grades.

In my opinion, the best way to train for walking the camino is walking.

For your ankle and knee, I suggest you see a physiotherapist to see what s/he suggests.

So just get out and walk - after the first week, walk with your pack and try to include hills and varied landscape. If you intend to use poles, practice with them as well.

Best of luck,

lynne

Also: I walk at about 4 kph on the camino - sometimes 5 for very short periods. Believe me when I tell you that is sufficient to complete your stages in a reasonable time every day. I have seen tall young guys walking 5-6 kph and they were really moving! You can keep this pace up with no problem for your whole camino, but I wouldn't push for more than l4-5 kph.
L

Hi Jason, I think Nordic walking poles are quite different to ordinary trekking or pacer poles that are used on long walks. Nordic walking is high powered, fast exercise, while most trekkers just need a bit of help with taking the load off their knees.
Jacki.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Talking of skiing - here I am enjoying an active skiing holiday worrying about preserving my knees for May 10th, the beginning of my Camino and being very careful not to damage them! Also subjecting our friends to a viewing of The Way - and for me, getting very excited!

I was given some Nordic walking poles and they are much longer than normal walking poles and held and used in the same way as cross country skiing poles. Nordic walking using poles is more of a form of exercise for the arms as well as the legs rather than a useful aid for walking.

I did a Nordic walking course last year, and whilst it can be good aerobic exercise, IMO it's not of much use for distance walking with a loaded pack, unless you're training for the SAS :D The poles are - usually - one piece, and rather less robust than trekking poles - as has been said, it's akin to ski-ing without skis, and at a much faster pace than normal walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.