• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte-Crowded in May 2018

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
This is my first time on the Norte. I haven’t even started walking yet because I am attending the European Rugby Cup this weekend in Bilbao. I am staying in Laredo for 3 nights and starting my Camino from there on Sunday morning. So far what I have observed already is there are more pilgrims on the Norte than I was envisioning. Lots of pilgrims walking through Laredo yesterday and this morning. Many pilgrims noticeable amongst the 100,000 rugby fans in Bilbao this afternoon. I am sure some of them were shocked and disappointed trying to find lodging around Bilbao tonight. I have walked the Ingles, the Aragones and the CP twice and seen less pilgrims. I am beginning to wonder if I am in for a shock the next 5 weeks looking for a bed?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm walking next year and I thought next year would be better in May because there's not a soccer event there then. Maybe I'm in for a shock too...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leaving from Irun tomorrow, very worried about the weather! Are you finding it cold as well as wet? I think I may need to go out and buy some warmer stuff...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Leaving from Irun tomorrow, very worried about the weather! Are you finding it cold as well as wet? I think I may need to go out and buy some warmer stuff...
I debated about leaving my fleece behind and now think it was a bad decision. It was very nice in Laredo on Thursday, but rain and cold since. Sounded like ice crystal on my rain slicker tonight but this to will pass.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just past Debna heading toward bilbao, not at all crowed and very poor weather, 1 nice day since may 8 when I left Irun
Isrela Albergue (first past Castro is shut)

Isrela Albergue (first past Castro is shut)
Do you mean 'closed down 'or a temporary closure?
It would be good to know if it needs adding to the thread 'Changes on the Norte ' and I will edit the thread title so it is not just 'west of Santander'.

That was also my first plan, but I’m a newbie and don’t think it’d be a good idea for me to start in the rain. I’m waiting a couple of days, hoping for some dry days ahead! All the best to your start!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sunday, 13 May, my first day walking from Laredo to Helgueras in a steady cold rain and it looked like a conga line to me. 25 pilgrims on the first ferry to Santana at 9am and even though that crowd spread out I keep seeing new groups. The albergue in Helgurras looks like it will be complete, there were already 10 people by noon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting to read this thread as I am planning to do the Norte next spring. I had been thinking April/May, but it seems there are many, many people on the latter end of the Camino at the moment, so I'm wondering if Mar/Apr would be better. I've read that it can be tough in the winter months (More so than the Frances, which I happily did this past Nov/Dec?), but what are peoples thoughts on commencing early March? Obviously none of us can predict what the weather will be, but in terms of albergues being open etc? Planning to start in Irun than joining the Primitivo at Oviedo, with a possible little detour out and back along the Camino Liebana (St Vincent to Potes).

Doesn't have to be tough, especially if you happily did the Frances in Nov/Dec. The climate on the Norte is mild and wet. But that is the case all year round. Normally it doesn't get below zero. And the weather has been that strange that it is hard to predict. In January I have had sunny days with 18 or 19 degrees and yesterday it hailed. The only tough part might be that many albergues will still be closed.

Just finished my second day of walking from Helgueras to Guemes. I did not see as many pilgrims today but admittedly I am at the back of the pack. The albergue la Cabana Del abuelo Peuto is filling up fast. I had hoped to stay in the albergue de Meruelo, but sadly it has closed. Around noon the weather cleared up, it is still chilly but sunny.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day 3 is done, I am stopping in Somo for 2 nights to nurse my feet, the last 3 days have been nothing but hard surfaces. There are still crowds, at Ernesto’s last night we were eating supper on folding tables and chairs. There were about 80 pilgrims and we were told there are only about the same amount of beds available in albergues for the next 40km, there are only 50 in Santander, so the morning started off like a typical bed race. I am going to spend tomorrow exploring Santander and weighing the options of switching to the CF only because I know there are more rooms even with the crowds there.

Last edited:
We have been watching pilgrims walking the Norte and felt that numbers were down. West of Santander, but maybe you have hit a surge at the moment. The Primitivo looked busy around Cornellana and the Frances sounded busy as usual.
Hope that the Norte quietens down for you

I decided to take a train to Fromista on Thursday and start walking the Canal Castilla to Vallalodid. Don’t know what after that, I hate crowds of people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.