• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte Here I come !

Roger0704

Let's walk the talk.....
Time of past OR future Camino
I did CF April/May 2018...
Gonna Do Camino Norte April 2019
Well...
After doing the CF april 2018 my mind is still not at ease..
So I want to do another one in 2019.
This time one with more solitude, I think that the Norte will provide this.
So let's get ready for it.
I will start on the 11th of april, anybody now a perfect albergue as starting point in Irun?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Albergue de peregrinos Jakobi should do. Now it is in new place: C.Leska 1. The price is Donativo. It is opened from March to October.
Have yet not been there. I am planning to be there in the end of July 2019.
In the beginning of July 2018 it still was on the old place: C/ Lucas de Berroa, 18. I actually did't stay there. Just had a look in the morning, starting my Camiono.
Sorry, English is not my first language.

Albergue de peregrinos Jakobi should do. Now it is in new place: C.Leska 1. The price is Donativo. It is opened from March to October.
Have yet not been there. I am planning to be there in the end of July 2019.
In the beginning of July 2018 it still was on the old place: C/ Lucas de Berroa, 18. I actually did't stay there. Just had a look in the morning, starting my Camiono.
Sorry, English is not my first language.
Your English is perfect !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We went in the fall and encountered mud here and there but not enough to stick to boots. Enjoy! You will love it. It's beautiful. We got our credentials and shells at the Alburgue de Peregrinos in Irun. Make sure you are aware of the interior route that leaves out of there if you want to walk along the coast going out of Irun.

Well...
I will start on the 11th of april, anybody now a perfect albergue as starting point in Irun?
The municipal albergue is where I stayed in September when I did the Norte. It is clean. It is right at the start of the Camino in Irun. You can get a credential there if you do not have one. It is a big albergue so I doubt you will have a problem getting a bed. I started on a Sunday and very little was open near the Albergue to either go to a restaurant or a grocery store. Be ready for a nice big hill to walk up. I thought it was a really tough day to San Sebastian. I thought it was tougher than St. Jean to Roncesvalles. But I am also 64 and I was 60 the last time I walked on the Frances. I also had already walked the Le Puy Camino when I arrived in St. Jean. But it is a long day nonetheless. A really beautiful camino, but lots of road walking and you will have solitude especially after you pass Santander. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well...
Ha ha go for it.... I did the Frances this April and I’m walking from Santander to Oviedo then the Primitivo from April 10th..... we won’t cross paths but no doubt we’ll smoke the same smiles and laugh the same laughs and definitely endure the same dilemmas but that’s the point!.... I wish you a buen camino 🙏🤗🕺

I'm also planning to start the Norte in April - not decided on the exact date yet. Good to see the advice on here re: albergue in Irun etc. I'm sure I'll be back with many questions myself! Happy planning all.

Well...
I'm also planning to start the Norte in April - not decided on the exact date yet. Good to see the advice on here re: albergue in Irun etc. I'm sure I'll be back with many questions myself! Happy planning all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I walked the Norte this June and it was a challenge. The first week was the hardest because the paths in the Basque region were quite muddy as it rained every day and you will experience a lot of uphill too, I accepted the challenge and in the end it was all worth it as this camino is one of the most spectacular I have ever walked. From the photos you can see the dark and the bright side of this camino. Do not be disheartened if you will have the same weather conditions I had but keep going, all the way, and you will return home with a huge sense of satisfaction.

Attachments

• IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7736.JPG
    IMG_7736.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7737.JPG
    IMG_7737.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7772.JPG
    IMG_7772.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7753.JPG
    IMG_7753.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7765.JPG
    IMG_7765.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7816.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8115.JPG
    IMG_8115.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
Hi. I walked the Norte this June and it was a challenge. The first week was the hardest because the paths in the Basque region were quite muddy as it rained every day and you will experience a lot of uphill too, I accepted the challenge and in the end it was all worth it as this camino is one of the most spectacular I have ever walked. From the photos you can see the dark and the bright side of this camino. Do not be disheartened if you will have the same weather conditions I had but keep going, all the way, and you will return home with a huge sense of satisfaction.
Thanks for the pictures . The mud Looks like the Frances this past April.
I am walking the Norte 2019 spring

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, and I recommend you stay on the Norte all the way to Lavacolla (sp?). Merging with the CF at Arzua was a shocker after the relative solitude of the Norte.

I’m thinking of walking the Norte from Irun in August of 2019. Does anyone here have anything to share about conditions, beds or food along the way in August?

My CF was also April 3 2018 and I'm also looking to do Norte' for next Spring. I'm trying to figure out a way to go SJPDP to Roncesvalles via Nepolean (since I missed it last year) then heading up to Norte' by walk or ride. Any suggestions ?

My CF was also April 3 2018 and I'm also looking to do Norte' for next Spring. I'm trying to figure out a way to go SJPDP to Roncesvalles via Nepolean (since I missed it last year) then heading up to Norte' by walk or ride. Any suggestions ?
See this thread for information and links https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjddp-to-irun-to-join-camino-del-norte.58735/. Also check the Del Norte sub-forum for additional infomation and coastal alternatives to keep you off the tarmac and hugging the coast. Try this one https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m thinking of walking the Norte from Irun in August of 2019. Does anyone here have anything to share about conditions, beds or food along the way in August?
Hello, Walking Geo. I am planning to to Norte from end of July - first days of September.
This is my second try on the Norte. I started my previous Norte 04. July and was in Santander 21. July. Problem was my knee, I twisted and had torn ligaments just 1,5 months before start of my Camino. It slowed me down but was OK up to point, when the wether got wet and chilly. So I did Frances from Burgos to Santiago de Compostella.
So I know little bit, what do expect, at least up to Santander.
My guess is, the conditions in August are nearly the same, as in July. Some rain, some sunny days, some warm days (up to 27 degrees Celsius), some chilly days (about 15 degrees Celsius).
I was following the official road. If there were different options, I took nearly all the time the easiest option. The food and water where nether the problem. I newer prepared food by myself. I don't like cooking so much. I always found some place to have the breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes the breakfast and dinner where in the Albergue.
I tried to stay in public Albergues as much as possible and never had reservation. But I got the place in the Albergue, there I was planning to stay, nearly every time. Once, then I didn't get, was in Pobena, then man in Albergue told the folk, who was able to carry little bit on, to go to Onton. I did this day from Portugalete, but man in Albergue was expecting lot of pilgrims from Bilbao. In Onton was very nice Albergue, so I was happy! Sometimes you have to race for get the place, for example Castro-Urdales.
In my opinion, the prices for food and Albergues are the same as on the Frances. Some places are Donativo as well.
I was using the app, called Norte, I purchased from App Store. It is worth every penny.
My backup app was MapsMe, there I downloaded Maps and Routes from Internet, so no Internet connection was in use while walking.
Buen Camiono!

Thanks agu! It's sounds like you had a good time despite your knee. I guess it's like all the other caminos in many ways yet different in it's own way... I had thought that lodgings were tougher to come by on the Norte then what you described, so I'm happy to hear you had no problems getting a bed. It's funny, I was going to walk the Norte this last August but I was having a foot issues before I left home and chose to walk the Portuguese route instead because it's flatter, shorter and I didn't want any problems... It worked..

Enjoy your Norte "2"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all. So, starting to semi-finalise my plan for the Camino Norte this spring. I plan to start on Friday 19th April, which I've just realised is Good Friday, so my first 4 days will be over the Easter w/e. I'm then planning to join onto the Primitive from Villavicosa around 7th May. So 2 questions:

1) Should I pre-book all of my accommodation over the 4 Easter days (I'm guessing definitely so in San Seb on Good Friday, but will I be OK just to turn up on the remaining 3 days when I'm a little more off the beaten (tourist) track (Zarautz, Deba and Markina/Xemain).

2) On the CF last year, I took 2 extra days, for a bit of a break and also to spend a little extra time in both Burgos and Leon. This year I might just take 1 extra day, somewhere around Villaciosa / Oviedo. Any recommendations re: which are the nicer towns to spend an additional day (inc and in addition to those two).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

is it necessary to telephone in advance to check if the albergue is open and if there are alvailable places in may 2019 ?
Depends on the time of year I think. We walked in Aug/September and October 2018. We were shut out of the alburgue at Ibiri Auzoa 20ks outside of Markina-Xemein for not calling ahead. Had to taxi forward as I could not do another 20k that day having walked from Zumaia. Then a few days later the alburgue in Gernika was completo when we arrived. A few times we got in just under the gun. We don't like making reservations but it's becoming a must.

Is it just me or are albergues twice the price vs their counterparts on the Frances. I’m looking on the WP App & both Norte books, and they have most lodgings priced between 15-18 euros...

Well, there are certainly not as many albergues on the Norte so maybe it's a competition thing. It's been 5 years since our CF and we did the Norte last fall so can't speak to the dicrepancy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is it just me or are albergues twice the price vs their counterparts on the Frances. I’m looking on the WP App & both Norte books, and they have most lodgings priced between 15-18 euros...
I stayed at albergues on the Norte that were between 5 and 15 Euros, and a few donativos.

I was about to order my guide book......but now can't decide on which one! I have downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app, so prob won't use that book, so it's between the Cicerone 'The Northern Camino's" , which seems to make sense as I'm planning to join the Primitivo - or, 'Camino del Norte' by Mathew Harms and others. I can't see anywhere if the CdelN book has good maps and elevation details? I loved the Brierley guide for the CF, so I guess I'm looking for something that compares well to that. I'd love recommendations or just to hear what others are opting for.

I was about to order my guide book......but now can't decide on which one! I have downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app, so prob won't use that book, so it's between the Cicerone 'The Northern Camino's" , which seems to make sense as I'm planning to join the Primitivo - or, 'Camino del Norte' by Mathew Harms and others. I can't see anywhere if the CdelN book has good maps and elevation details? I loved the Brierley guide for the CF, so I guess I'm looking for something that compares well to that. I'd love recommendations or just to hear what others are opting for.

I’ve just purchased Wise Pilgrim & Village to Village, both have semi-useable maps, but if your point of reference is the Brierley guide book, then you’ll be disappointed.

The scale only aides in giving you an overview, the layout isn’t intuitive, the zoomed in portions are snippets that help you through the main artery’s of the cities but nothing more. The app is what I’ll take on the norte along with my own personal notes on my phone. Better to do your own research, make notes on points of interest, and use the app IMO

YMMV

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I believe that both of those books are available on Kindle, so you could just download them to your phone to save weight.

I do love a physical book to carry.....but hadn't thought about downloading t'other - good idea - then I get the best of both!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.