• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte - Hiking Alone, Hoping to Meet Others?

cronnik

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 11/21
Pamplona - Burgos
Sarria - SdC
Hi all,

I’ve done Portuguese (from Porto), 3/4 of Frances and 1st week of Norte mostly over the last year. The majority of those trips I hiked with a buddy, and Irún-> Bilbao with my girlfriend.

I am arriving in Spain alone July 7 and I am contemplating continuing my Norte from Bilbao (really from Portugalete or Pobena) alone.

The only time I hiked alone was SJPDP - Lagroño last July and really enjoyed meeting folks who I still keep in touch with and will meet in Oviedo July 18 for the Primitivo.
I’ve been on the forum searching and so far haven’t found much so forgive me for asking. I wanted to see what your experience has been encountering/frequency of other pilgrims on the Norte and possibility of meeting them.

As I said I will be there in July. I know from my Norte experience that the coastal towns can be busy with regional locals enjoying holidays (esp on the weekend). Since I was with my girlfriend we staid in low priced private rooms in pensiones. This time I intend to stay at albergues (municipal if open) and hope to meet pilgrims then?

I am not against hiking alone during the day (and often do as I am a fast walker) but when on the Frances I enjoyed seeing familiar faces as they came in after me at the albergues and then planning on some dinners/drinks for that evening. I truly valued the open and authentic long talks I had with pilgrims during the day on the Camino and continuing them later over drinks. I love talking to the Spanish, French and other European pilgrims as well as the locals when possible as I find I learn much more about “life” (and myself) by conversations with folks that have different backgrounds from me. (I prefer not to interact with Americans while traveling in Spain as I didn’t fly to another country just see more folks from mine!)

I am outgoing and approachable so am not worried about being sociable, in fact I quite enjoy it. I also speak pretty good Spanish (lives in Sevilla and Barcelona and learned Spanish there) and good French too.

Thanks & Buen Camino always

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Norte in 2019, I met a lovely French couple and a wonderful man from Belgium, who I am still friends with. We walked together and alone, but always met up in the most fun and surprising places. Eventually, we made and stuck to a plan to arrive in Santiago together.

There was a larger cohort also, including folks from Germany, Italy and England among others. There may have also been another American or two...it's a large country. ;-)

On the Norte in 2019, I met a lovely French couple and a wonderful man from Belgium, who I am still friends with. We walked together and alone, but always met up in the most fun and surprising places. Eventually, we made and stuck to a plan to arrive in Santiago together.

There was a larger cohort also, including folks from Germany, Italy and England among others. There may have also been another American or two...it's a large country. ;-)
Suzanne - thank you for sharing your experience. What month was this in?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked in 2018 in October/November. I think it is difficult to make a blanket statement as things change from season to season and even day to day. When I walked there were lots of wonderful people I met. I found it to be the youngest group of pilgrims overall. Most of the pilgrims I met were in their 20's and 30's. I was 63 at the time. But the most striking difference I found between the Norte and Frances pilgrims is I felt like the pilgrims on the Norte were far more independent. Some people came together and many of us walked together for an hour or so here or there. Or saw each other and shared a meal on a cliff overlooking the ocean. But there were no more than a handful (maybe 2 or 3) groups of camino "families" that formed. People walked themselves. In the albergues things were different. We often stayed in the same albergues at night and cooked together and had really enjoyable evenings. But it was all coincidental and not planned on where to stop at night and where to sleep.

I walked in 2018 in October/November. I think it is difficult to make a blanket statement as things change from season to season and even day to day. When I walked there were lots of wonderful people I met. I found it to be the youngest group of pilgrims overall. Most of the pilgrims I met were in their 20's and 30's. I was 63 at the time. But the most striking difference I found between the Norte and Frances pilgrims is I felt like the pilgrims on the Norte were far more independent. Some people came together and many of us walked together for an hour or so here or there. Or saw each other and shared a meal on a cliff overlooking the ocean. But there were no more than a handful (maybe 2 or 3) groups of camino "families" that formed. People walked themselves. In the albergues things were different. We often stayed in the same albergues at night and cooked together and had really enjoyable evenings. But it was all coincidental and not planned on where to stop at night and where to sleep.
Thanks for the color and sharing your experience

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I’m walking the northern route third week of August thru to October (I think it’ll take me that long 😂) and I hope to build a few “Camino” friendships along the way. I’ve always read that “Camino families” are formed; that you’ll walk and meet some Camino friends along the way, possibly, meet up and share pilgrim meals, possibly walk with some for a few days, possibly separate and possibly even meet up with some again along the way while being together with some of the originals. Although, I have no expectations per se, I’m truly hoping to experience pilgrim friendships, families and shared meals and fellowship on my Camino! 🙂

Buen Camino Cronnik; may you have amazing experiences and encounters!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.