• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte in June

AML

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2013
Norte/Primitivo May/June 2014
Vasco del Interior/ Burgos - Leon/Del Salvador/Primitivo May/June 2015
Ourense - Santiago Sept 2015
Camino Ingles Sept 2015
Porto-SDC Sept/Oct 2016
HI All,

I've recently been considering walking another Camino route, I walked Camino Frances last Sept/oct.
I feel now like walking the Norte route starting in either Irun or maybe Bilboa and then continuing on the Primitivo to Santaigo de Compostela.
Can someone tell me the total distance of this route from Irun and approx. how many days to walk?
Would it take similar amount of time as the Frances or longer??
Is there less albergues on route and where can I get a route map or is it really necessary?
Thanks............:)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi there, I'm at my work right now, so can't answer all your questions, but here are a few things to be going on with.

Firstly, check out this link for alberges and suggested walking stages, and maps.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

If you want a guide book then the one to buy is "The Northern Caminos" by Dave Whitson, and Laura Perazzol. Dave is a is a member of this forum and can be contacted via the following link.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/members/dave.441/

The North route is fantastic for scenery, beaches, and mountains, but it is very different from the Frances. When I walked in May /June last year, I never had any problem finding a bed, there were alberges along the route, but probably not as many as on the Frances. I didn't use a guide other than a basic and rather inacurate one I was given at the the tourist info, but it was enough to know where I was heading. Usually the hospitaleros at the alberges are well informed about the next days walking choices and are happy to talk about your options.

If you can start in Irun, I would suggest you do so, the scenery from there to Bilbao is great, and will get you set up for the hills on the Primitivo. The number of days to walk really depends on you, the whole length of the Norte is 800kms, which at an average of 25kms a day is 32 days. Remember, it will feel like more on the stretches where there is a lot of up or down hill walking.

I deeply envy you getting to do the Norte and the Primitivo, have a beer in Santiago for me! Buen camino.

Last edited:
I walked the Norte last October. I had to change plans to walk the Primitivo after Oviedo and I'm glad I got to do the whole Norte which is a lovely route. I took 37 days but that included a couple of lost days when I started the Primitivo. The Auberges are fine and when you want a bit of privacy etc there are inexpensive pensions all along the route.
www.caminotim.wordpress.com Enjoy whichever route you take.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for replies, the northern caminos guide book seems very interesting MKalcolm....
Would you consider the Norte more expensive for accommodation/meals etc compared with Frances? Is it possible to stay in municipal albergues all the way or would it be required to stay in pensions/etc at times??

Cheers......:)

Hi AML,
Sorry I can't answer your question as I have never walked the Frances, despite reading lots about it and walking with many pilgrims who had been along it. I stayed in alberges the entire length of the Norte, except in Villaviscoia where a hotel gave discounts to pilgrims. There were youth hostels on the early part of the walk which were expensive, 21 Euro a night but I walked on to the next accommodation which was cheaper in one case, and donativo at a monastery in the other. If you budget 10 euro a night, some nights will be cheaper, and only occasionally more expensive. Several alberges were private rather than municpal, and these tended to cost ten euro a night. At first I watched my budget carefully and kept a calculation of each days spending, but after a while I relaxed this and while not extravagant, I relaxed and spent as much as I needed to for a bed, meal and a drink or two. If you budget 25 euro a day this would be OK, though it can be done for less if need be.

Ok I have decided when to go, I arrive Biarritz on 21 May. I plan to start in Hendaye and walk across to Irun and stay at pilgrim Albergue there.
A couple of questions, can I get a bus from Biarritz airport direct to Hendaye or do I need to get bus to Bayonne and get train to Hendaye??
Is it possible to get pilgrim passport in alberge Irun
I know its possible to walk from Biarritz aiport but I want to have a few days after I reach Santaigo to go to Muxia too so I will start in Hendaye. Last year I got to Finesterre after Santaigo but not Muxia so I like to go Muxia this time.
Thanks guys:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A couple of questions, can I get a bus from Biarritz airport direct to Hendaye or do I need to get bus to Bayonne and get train to Hendaye??

AML.

You can either take a route C Chronoplus bus from Biarritz Airport to SNCF Gare Biarritz and then a train to Irun/Hendaye or take a Transports64 n°816 bus from the airport to Hendaye . See this handy guide for accessing/departing Biarritz airport for more info.

MM

Following the advice above, its easy to get to Irun. I asked at the the tourist info at the airport and they gave me all the details I needed to get to the Pilgrims hostel. You can get a credential (Pilgrim passport) from the hospitalero at the hostel in Irun.

Thanks a lot, seem easy enough getting to Hendaye:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone used CSJ book Los Camino del Norte by Eric Walker and Chris Lennie, are there good maps in it? What about "Ruta de la Costa - Irun to Villaviciosa"?

HI All,

I've recently been considering walking another Camino route, I walked Camino Frances last Sept/oct.
I feel now like walking the Norte route starting in either Irun or maybe Bilboa and then continuing on the Primitivo to Santaigo de Compostela.
Can someone tell me the total distance of this route from Irun and approx. how many days to walk?
Would it take similar amount of time as the Frances or longer??
Is there less albergues on route and where can I get a route map or is it really necessary?
Thanks............:)

I did not walk yet, but I am starting in Bilbao on May 1st, going left for primitivo , my estimate 28days 4 to spare for finnestere / muxia or slow down.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has anyone used CSJ book Los Camino del Norte by Eric Walker and Chris Lennie, are there good maps in it? What about "Ruta de la Costa - Irun to Villaviciosa"?

I have used these guides for all my walks and really do prefer. While there are no maps, I find it easy to "supplement" with other resources such as the advice of the hospitaleros, other walkers, simple printouts found in refugios, etc. The Eroski site helps quite a bit as well.

These guides are small and simple and updated as much as can be expected. The last I had for this route is '10 which has '07 information. I know there is an updated one now. Much has changed in these years. Good to support the Confraternity of St. James.

Looking forward to ordering my guides this week.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back