• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte in may

daandownunder

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis (2010)
Camino Frances (2012)
Camino del Salvador & Primitivo & Finisterre (2014)
Via de la Plata /Camino Frances (2015)
Hi all,
I'm trying to decide on either CF or Norte for may 2012. All I have booked so far is a flight out of Santiago on the 30th of may. It seems that there's quite a few towns on the Norte where the albergues are only open july/august. So I'm wondering whether I would have to walk really long days (35km+) to get accommodation? Anyone with experience in may? Is it easy to find other accommodation that isn't too expensive??

Thanks!
Danielle

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Danielle,
Welcome to the forum! I don't know where you heard that albergues only open in July and August, but that's not accurate.

I walked several years ago, starting on May 1, and all albergues were open. It's true that the spacing of the albergues on the Norte is a bit more problematic than on the Frances. My walking companion and I spent a fair number of nights in pensiones or small hotels, but that was by choice and to enable us to be less concerned about planning stages. But we met a group of people who had managed to plan stages to coincide with albergues almost every day. So it can be done.

We had glorious weather, just one totally rainy day going into Llanes. It's a beautiful route. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie, that's good to hear!
I found in the Paco Nadal guide that there's quite a few where it's mentioned they're only open in july/august... Same on some albergue lists I got from other posts in the Norte-forum. I don't mind the occasional hotel or pension, but was just wondering if anyone that's been there in may had any trouble.
Good to hear about the weather too as that's another (very) small concern I still have, more to to with what to pack in may rather then not wanting to walk in rain. Well preferably not obviously :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Norte starting in late June 2009. From Irun to Bilbao (it was still the month of June when I was in this area) some albergues had not yet opened for the season. There were, however, youth hostels that were opened in those places. I always found a place to stay at a youth hostel or albergue though so I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem.

Hi Danielle,
seems you live downunder as well, I'm from Sydney.
I walked the Camino del Norte all the way from Irun to SdC this year early May to Mid June.
It's true some of the refugios/Albergues are still closed at this time, but majority is open.
San Sebastian was closed, I used the YH, Euro 19.50 was good value, good breakfast included.
In La Franca, Villaviciosa, Otur I used small private clean hotels (hostels), about Euro 15 a night.
Compare this with some refugios charging ca 10 Euro.....15 bucks a night in a private room with
own bathroom and towels and good bed with fresh linen etc is a steal.
It's true, there are sometimes bigger distances between refugios/albergues etc on the Norte than
on the Frances (I walked in 2008 from SJPdP to SdC), but you ALWAYS find accommodation, don't
worry....municipal, private or otherwise.
People are VERY VERY helpful and friendly all along the way.....and the Camino is NOT
crowded at all, a welcome change from the pressure on the Frances.
You will see and experience the difference in Arzua (2 days before SdC), it's there where the
del Norte route meets the Frances route.........a culture-shock.....tranquility meets rush-hour !!!
Happy to answer more questions if needed.
Just ask !!
Regards and BUEN CAMINO
Bem in Sydney

Thanks viajero & Bem!
Haven't walked the CF myself, just the 3 days from SJPP to Pamplona at the end of my Chemin du Puy. Somehow the Norte just appeals to me more...

And I don't live downunder, wouldn't mind it though 8) Live in the Netherlands
The username is a souvenir from my working holiday downunder in 2000!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was surprised to learn that many albergues are closed along the Norte till July, so I stand corrected. I guess what that means is that there are a lot more albergues now than there were in 2007 when I walked, because I can only think of one that I saw that was closed. There was a big albergue across the street from the monastery at Zenarruza that was closed, but that day's pilgrim traffic all fit in the small albergue in the monastery.

So I don't think you'll have trouble finding places to stay even in May, and my bet is that as the pilgrim traffic increases, more of the albergues will open earlier to meet that traffic. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.