• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Norte in real time

Madis

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Im doing my second day on the Norte as I write this. Going along the trail I make video clips and post them in real time.

Instagram page:
https://instagram.com/madis.valja?igshid=ZGUzMzM3NWJiOQ==

Videos are under stories. They last just 24 hours before the system removes them. This way you are always up to date.

Im also posting daily memories into my public Facebook folder for Camino Norte:
https://www.facebook.com/madis.valja
Hi MadisV,
I'm also planning Camino del Norte. That's why I thank you for your information and inspiration. Buen Camino.

We fly out today and start on Wednesday. We’ll be a few days behind you! Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Im glad people are finding it helpful.

I really recommend the alternative routes between Zumaia and Deba. I did just the first part today. I thought there would be too much of mud and rock for the second half.

Yellow arrows did not point the way to the first part right next to Zumaia (next to San Telmo Ermita church). Had to use the Buen Camino app to find it. It added an extra 2km to my walk, but it was the best part of Norte I have seen so far.

The second part of Geopark trail for Flysch did have yellow arrows. That one was easier to find than the hard surface alternative that I took. With better weather would have continued to be amazed by flysch rock formations next to an ocean trail. Either way its 9km to Deba from the second split on Buen Camino app.

Thanks for the recommendation. I leave Sunday from US to Spain — assuming the WestJet labor strike doesn’t mess me up — so I have been reading on here. I can’t see your stories on instagram because I don’t have an account. Are you hosting your pictures any place else? Thanks, Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just passed Santallana del Mar today and really recommend people stay there in the former cloister.

There are not that many open albergues here in the area. Either temporarily closed or opening only for July and August.

Most manageable (and nicest walk) idea is to take the train out of Santander to Santa Cruz de Bezana and walk from there the new Camino route (does not do a train crossing from Boo).

There was a great "forest alternative" route as locals called it today. It starts right before La Alcebosa and goes straight towards Serdio.

I attached image of the trail map.

It was 2km shorter than the original route that goes also through Hortigal, but the forest route was completely on natural terrain. Having walked only hard road surfaces since Samtander, this was an extremely welcomed change.

Also, a little earlier today, the walk after Oyambre park towards San Vicente could be done by decending down to Merón beach. It was such a delight and the waves were big.

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_142839.jpg
    IMG_20230525_142839.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230525_145626.jpg
    IMG_20230525_145626.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230525_151502.jpg
    IMG_20230525_151502.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
Note: There is a road construction on the pilgrim route from Pesués to Unquera. Pilgrims need to take the highway sidewalk between these two places. There is a dedicated red walking zone for pedestrians.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just wanted to add here that there are currently a lot of pilgrims continuing the Norte from Avilles. Appatently the albergue there is almost full a lot of the time (it hosts like max 50 people).

Many pilgrims are booking and reserving places ahead on the second part of the Norte. The albergues in Asturias region accept reservations over phone calls.

Just make sure you check with your destination albergue a day ahead instead of discovering after arrival that you need to find a new place for yourself.

Just finished a few hours ago. Feels amazing!

The second part of the Norte I liked even more than the first.

Muros de Nalón was just the real start of the Camino :) Tomorrow a bus trip to Fisterra and hopefully will see a sunset at the lighthouse ♥️
IMG_20230610_161625.jpg

The second part of the Norte I liked even more than the first.
I'm on the Norte again after having walked it in 2018, but this time I'm going to finish on the Primitivo. I have to say that I'm rather wistful for what I'm going to miss on the second part, and a bit jealous of those who I've met that are continuing on the Norte all the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just wanted to add here that there are currently a lot of pilgrims continuing the Norte from Avilles. Appatently the albergue there is almost full a lot of the time (it hosts like max 50 people).

Many pilgrims are booking and reserving places ahead on the second part of the Norte. The albergues in Asturias region accept reservations over phone calls.

Just make sure you check with your destination albergue a day ahead instead of discovering after arrival that you need to find a new place for yourself.
How far in advance are you allowed to book Albergues? Day before? Day of?

How far in advance are you allowed to book Albergues? Day before? Day of?
It depends on the place. Private albergues may take reservations months in advance, while most public (like the one mentioned in Avilés) and parochial albergues don't take reservations and operate on a first come, first served basis. If you check the listings on Gronze they will tell you whether or not reservations are accepted.

Why was this so for you?
From Muros onwards you only have fantastic nature days. Even when you start going inland towards Santiago, it will still be great every single day.

I went always as close to the ocean as possible. I can't guarantee that the other route options are as good.

I'm on the Norte again after having walked it in 2018, but this time I'm going to finish on the Primitivo. I have to say that I'm rather wistful for what I'm going to miss on the second part, and a bit jealous of those who I've met that are continuing on the Norte all the way.
I absolutely loved the second half of the Norte last year. It was my second time through that part. Second time was much better than the first. However, never fear, I am certain you will enjoy the Primitivo

The second part of the del Norte is really quiet at the moment. Today I’ve seen only two other pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From Muros onwards you only have fantastic nature days. Even when you start going inland towards Santiago, it will still be great every single day.

I went always as close to the ocean as possible. I can't guarantee that the other route options are as good.
I love it! Love the Norte so much!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.