• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte or Frances

mexicokid99

Time of past OR future Camino
I am a new member but have researched the forum and I know about the differences between the 2 routes...I plan to walk my first Camino in May 0f 2014..I am a retired male 65 years of age and in good shape and I already do many hikes....so the only question I have is which camino to choose I am leaning towards the Norte as I love the ocean.....soon I want to make the choice and do some planning..would appreciate any input from seasoned walkers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola

The Norte will provide you with stunning ocean/coastal trails and May can be a very warm periode in Spain although it was not this year.
If you have searched the forum for descriptions you will know it is a bit different than The Frances.
I have walked and enjoyed them both, still in my experience, I would recommend a first time Camino to be Camino Frances.
Maybe because it was what I walked first and the memories therefore are stronger.
But the month of May is a busy month and from reading about pilgrims experiences this May, several experienced full albergues and crowds of people.
Overall it did not seem to be an issue which would justify planning another route.

This will of course be less of an issue on The Norte as it is much less traveled.
It is really up to you so go with your gut feeling.
Whichever Camino you choose I am certain it will be a great experience.

Buen Camino
lettinggo

First Camino should me imho the Camino Frances....certainly busier than Norte, but on CDN accomodations are much less frequent than on CF and, most important of all, the atmosphere there is definitely not as 'magic' than on CF, especially in the first part,before the final 100 km's.
On CDN you have frequently nice views of the coast but you are frequently inland , on paved roads and often with rather significant climbs and descents. Albergues with hospitaleros and communal meals are not the rule or at least it wasn't so when we walked it.
In any case, BUEN CAMINO !!!!
Giorgio

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would say to walk the Camino which calls to you most. For me the Francés was/is a non-starter and the 'Northern' routes call loudest - the scenery, less people etc which suit my style of pilgrimage. Others like the crowds, meseta etc. So go where you feel happiest and Buen Camino

well I went for a big hike this afternoon in the canyons of San Miguel de Allende, my home town, and I decided that the choice I am going to make is the Norte..... so now I can plan and will be on the Camino to celebrate my birthday next may thanks for all the valuable input best wishes les

You are in the company of Norte lovers. I am going back for my second time this Sept and I am dragging my room mate along too. I hear the Northern route is less crowded, but the reasons I did it were: the ocean views, moderate weather, very European, and the ocean views! I figured if I was going to walk for 5 weeks, I was going to do it at the ocean. I fell in love with it! I am doing an app for the iPhone about the Camino Norte as there are very few english guide books, but there is information available. I will do the Camino Frances one day, but not in the summer (too busy) I have been spoilt by the Norte!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a new member but have researched the forum and I know about the differences between the 2 routes...I plan to walk my first Camino in May 0f 2014..I am a retired male 65 years of age and in good shape and I already do many hikes....so the only question I have is which camino to choose I am leaning towards the Norte as I love the ocean.....soon I want to make the choice and do some planning..would appreciate any input from seasoned walkers

Hi poogeyejr, let me know when you've finished the iPhone App :) i'll made the Camino Del Norte on June 2014 by bicycle

You are in the company of Norte lovers. I am going back for my second time this Sept and I am dragging my room mate along too. I hear the Northern route is less crowded, but the reasons I did it were: the ocean views, moderate weather, very European, and the ocean views! I figured if I was going to walk for 5 weeks, I was going to do it at the ocean. I fell in love with it! I am doing an app for the iPhone about the Camino Norte as there are very few english guide books, but there is information available. I will do the Camino Frances one day, but not in the summer (too busy) I have been spoilt by the Norte!

I'm thinking about trying the Camino Norte next year (after doing the Camino Frances last year). I've read and heard about many of the differences already mentioned here but the one thing in your post that caught my eye was "moderate weather". I was under the impression that the weather along the coast was even more erratic and unpredictable than the weather on the Frances - am I off base on this assumption? I'm guessing this means you had pretty good weather when you went - what time of year was it and roughly how many days of rain did you get, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi mexicokid.

I had this same dilemma. In the end I did sort of half of the norte - from Santander to Irun backwards, followed by the whole Frances. Quite simply it depends on what kind of experience you are hoping to have. Physically the north route is much more taxing from an exertion point of view. More steep hills more often. The stages are shorter to compensate but then you have the problem of albergues. I was on the north route in April and many were closed. One night in a little Basque village I had to spend 52 euros on a hotel. One day I combined to stages to walk 41km just to get to the next place to stay. Further to this, the north route is quieter for people. Many are serious walkers and north europeans. If you're looking for lots of young walkers and teenagers you might prefer the French - I'm just basing this on your screen name :). The French route is far busier, which does get annoying as you pass Leon, but this brings the obvious element of far more places and variety of accommodation.

Beauty is subjective, but I think - apart from the Pyrenees and the Bierzo area - the north wins out. The coast and the hills and mountains with their affluent and well-kept villages are truly gorgeous. Just be aware that the weather is more changeable. I, like you, love the ocean and even when it's raining it is still beautiful. Saying this, the beauty on the French route is in the people. I made incredibly strong bonds with people and miss them like phantom limbs. You can't really set one off against the other. I would hazard to say do the French route first just so you get a bit of a taste of everything. If you decide you're not enjoying it, or maybe it's too 'easy' or even 'boring', transfer up and take on the hilly side of life.

Any more questions, fire away :)

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Q_FNBBV813OtMClRc43BQ

I have only walked the Norte, so can not compare it objectively with the Frances, but suffice to say it is a lovely route amnd I had a truly fantastic time walking it on May/june this year. It was hard going in the early stages due to the rain and the mud, but the views, beaches and camraderie more than made up for that. One of the truest comments I heard was that in the first week you adjust physically, the second mentally, and in the the third week you start to enjoy yourself. This definetly describes how I felt. I did not have trouble finding a bed at anytime, and there were plenty of pilgrims for company, or to walk alone which ever suited me. In the early stages many of the pilgrims were retired people, however I soon teamed up with several pilgrims and together we walked most of the route and formed life long relationships. I would reccomend the Norte every time.

I have only walked the Norte, so can not compare it objectively with the Frances, but suffice to say it is a lovely route amnd I had a truly fantastic time walking it on May/june this year. It was hard going in the early stages due to the rain and the mud, but the views, beaches and camraderie more than made up for that. One of the truest comments I heard was that in the first week you adjust physically, the second mentally, and in the the third week you start to enjoy yourself. This definetly describes how I felt. I did not have trouble finding a bed at anytime, and there were plenty of pilgrims for company, or to walk alone which ever suited me. In the early stages many of the pilgrims were retired people, however I soon teamed up with several pilgrims and together we walked most of the route and formed life long relationships. I would reccomend the Norte every time.

I like what you say about the first week adjusting physically, the second mentally, etc. When we do our Norte in 2015, we intend to start in SJPdP and walk the GR10 to Irun. I expect that will be our physical adjustment, so we can get right on that mental adjustment starting the Norte, and hopefully start actually enjoying ourselves by Guernica! :D

I am a slow walker, and starting all this mid-May-ish, with rest days, I expect to be in Santiago around the second week in July. How is it joining the Frances in Arzua, at the end of the Norte in July? Jarring? No beds? What is the actual distance left to Santiago from Arzua?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola
About 40 km, and many makes it in one day as the terrain is not difficult, the end of a journey is close, but it will of course depend on the physical state one is in.
I have not done the GR10 but I have heard good reports about it and it will prepare you well for the first week of uphill and downhill of the Norte.
I would recommend you to read up a bit about camino Primitivo, as it is very nice, and although it may take slightly longer time compared with the end of the Norte, it is a fantastic experience.
Don't decide now. Once you are near Oviedo and the fork between the two caminos, your body and time you have will have some to say which to follow. As well as other pilgrims on your route.
The Primitivo is through mountains so it would be safe to say one has to feel a bit strong to continue that path.
When I walked Irun-Oviedo-Palas de Rei-Santiago it took one month, being a somewhat fast walker.
I am sure your 7-8 weeks will be enough for you to enjoy a calm and adventurous walk!
Once you get on the Frances expect more pilgrims. It will only be for a few days and there will be places for you to sleep, whether it is at Albergues Municipal, Privados, hostals, sport halls etc.

Buen Camino
Lettingo

I am a slow walker, and starting all this mid-May-ish, with rest days, I expect to be in Santiago around the second week in July. How is it joining the Frances in Arzua, at the end of the Norte in July? Jarring? No beds? What is the actual distance left to Santiago from Arzua?
Caplen
We joined the Frances at Aruza and despite being warned about it, it was a huge shock. We arrived in town at about 2.00pm to find several alberges already full and to be told that we had left it very late to find a bed, whereas on the Norte we often didn't arrive until late afternoon and had always been accommodated. The sea of pilgrims flooding past was very strange to us compared to what we were used, and it felt very disconcerting to be walking with so many people. We were used to meeting up with a few pilgrims each day, and the initial enquirey was to see if we had a mutual language, but now we heard people identiyfing themselves, by which bus party they were with "Are you one of the 37 from Chicago? No we are with the 22 from New York." Later we learned that it is not good to join onto the Frances on a weekend as there are many day or weekend walkers then. I walked on to Muxia from Santiago and this was good in that it felt like being on the camino again, rather than on such a busy commercial outing. I think our expierience on the Norte was typical from what other people said later. Hope you have a great time in 2015, it really is a fabulous walk.

I've run across several people on the Norte who came here after starting on the Frances and discovering it's too crowded, even in September and October.

I am leaning towards the Norte as I love the ocean....

There's your answer right there, my friend. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, what is the app?

Hello, what is the app?
I am developing an iPhone app in English about my journey on the Norte. Not a full guide book but it has the places I visited and the places I stayed. It should be in the App Store May 2014.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.