• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte or Frances?

Casserole

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 - Solo, SJPdP to Finisterre
2018 - Daughter (2) and Hubby, Sarria to SdC
UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I found the answer to my question, but I still love hearing about others experiences!

Hi, all!

I did Frances solo back in 2009. I have finally convinced my husband to do part of The Camino with me! He isn't much into hiking and we will be doing it with our 2 year old.

My question is, to convert him do I take him on Norte or Frances? Since he dislikes hiking so much, we are just going to do the last 100k. I know its crowded and kind of annoying, but beggars can't be choosers.

Any insight on the Northern route would be much appreciated since I've never done it.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have choices. If your husband dislikes walking, the more diversions and non-walking goodies, the better.
The Norte will likely be less crowded.
Also consider that there are also the Ingles, the Sanabres from Orense, and the Portugues. All of these will be less of a zoo than the Frances. Hot springs in Orense aside, the Portugues might be a nice compromise. Well...do take this with a grain of salt. I am just saying that, based on zero first-hand knowledge.;)

Even though its busier than the early parts it is still beautiful. Is it important to get a Compostela? If not you could do a different 100kms of the Frances, or even the Finisterre Muxia Camino.
(If you have a 2 year old, you probably want frequent villages as a distraction).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have a little one and weather is nice, it would be worth doing some of the Norte or the Finisterre Muxia walk. Then you have the sea.

Last 40 of Norte is the most boring part of Frances I think and a lot of people so it will almost be the same but I say Norte in that case.Will you carry the kid or a sulky?

Alternatives if a compostela is required:
I really liked Camino Inglés. Fisterra-Muxía-SdC is also good (yes I did get a compostela for that route). Starting in the beautiful town of Valenca in Portugal could be an option as well. It is a little more than 100 but worth it instead of starting in Tui.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.