• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte or Portuguese + new painting

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did the Portuguese along the sense literal plus the spiritual variant. Loved it! Hiking was easy, fish was amazing

Hi Wei Ho, that's a lovely painting :)

Most people start the Portugues in Porto, and it takes around 10 days. If you start the Norte from Irun, it will take around 35 days of walking. So I guess time constraints, etc, will need to be factored into your decision. How much time do you have? Is it important to finish in Santiago?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Wei Ho, that's a lovely painting :)

Most people start the Portugues in Porto, and it takes around 10 days. If you start the Norte from Irun, it will take around 35 days of walking. So I guess time constraints, etc, will need to be factored into your decision. How much time do you have? Is it important to finish in Santiago?
For me, time is not an issue. If I do the Portuguese way, I would do the whole way, probably carry on to Finisterra. I went to Muxia last time and missed out Finisterra.

Hi, I'm grappling with the same choice and I look like settling on the Norte from Irun, then changing onto the Primitivo through to SDC in May/June. By doing this route, I think I get the best out of the coast and the mountains without the crowds. I've watched a few youtube video's of the Portugues route and for me, its just not as inspiring as the northern route. I'm more interested in the scenic beauty, some solitude, time for reflection and physical challenge of the Camino, rather than a religious experience. If I get time, I plan on getting a bus through to Finisterre and Muxia for a couple of days. Happy to discuss.

Thanks
M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Happy to discuss.

The Norte really is spectacular. I'd just add two things:
1. There's lots of road and pavement walking on the official camino route. Make sure you take the coastal alternatives when you can (do a search for "coastal alternatives to the Norte's asphalt" on this forum, peregrina2000 has compiled a list).
2. There might not be the crowds of the Frances, but there are far fewer albergues (sometimes only one per stage, and with only 20 beds...) - so on occasion you need to flexible with accommodation. You can normally get a pension/ hostal/ hotel/ hostel for quite a reasonable price, and they offer pilgrim discounts. But I'd definitely advise budgeting a bit extra for this.

1. There's lots of road and pavement walking on the official camino route. Make sure you take the coastal alternatives when you can (do a search for "coastal alternatives to the Norte's asphalt" on this forum, peregrina2000 has compiled a list).
2. There might not be the crowds of the Frances, but there are far fewer albergues (sometimes only one per stage, and with only 20 beds...) - so on occasion you need to flexible with accommodation. You can normally get a pension/ hostal/ hotel/ hostel for quite a reasonable price, and they offer pilgrim discounts. But I'd definitely advise budgeting a bit extra for this.
Hi Mark, the Norte sounds perfect for me apart from the possibility of short of beds in albergue along the way. I met a guy on the Frances way last October he said he walked part of the Norte before switched to Frances due to bed shortages. Seems there was pilgrims surge on the Norte last year.

I
I am thinking of bring a ultra light tent for the Norte. Don’t know if this is practical.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me, time is not an issue. If I do the Portuguese way, I would do the whole way, probably carry on to Finisterra. I went to Muxia last time and missed out Finisterra.
Hi,
We did the Portuguese route in 2016 from Lisbon to Fatima then Porto to Santiago. It’s also a beautiful walk and easier for us than the Frances. Lots of friendly people. SeaFood was great. If you are walking for religious reason, this is a nice spiritual walk with a number of significant churches to the faith. We plan to do the Norte in 2020.

Hi,
We did the Portuguese route in 2016 from Lisbon to Fatima then Porto to Santiago. It’s also a beautiful walk and easier for us than the Frances. Lots of friendly people. SeaFood was great. If you are walking for religious reason, this is a nice spiritual walk with a number of significant churches to the faith. We plan to do the Norte in 2020.
Glad to hear that. How was the accommodation situation on the Portuguese way? I will met to stay in albergue wherever it is possible.

Glad to hear that. How was the accommodation situation on the Portuguese way? I will met to stay in albergue wherever it is possible.
In 2016, there were few, sometimes only one per town except for Santarem. From Porto, the number of Albergue picks up a little but still nothing compared to Camino Frances. You can check gronze.com and use google translate. Im pretty sure accommodations has changed a lot after 3 years. Buen Camino..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Weiho, I love my painting. Do you ever do a painting with figures that are female? I was thinking it would be a cool gift for my Camino partner, but since we are both women, I'd like to see a female...even from the back.
Let me know it thats in the cards.

Hi Mark, the Norte sounds perfect for me apart from the possibility of short of beds in albergue along the way. I met a guy on the Frances way last October he said he walked part of the Norte before switched to Frances due to bed shortages. Seems there was pilgrims surge on the Norte last year.
Hi,

I've been crunching the numbers and April/May/June is probably the only time I can get 6 weeks off work anyway. I think if I start in early May and finish in June, starting on the Norte then switching to the Primitivo, the numbers shouldn't be too bad.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@weiho, That's a lovely, peaceful and serene painting!

My first Camino was on The Portugues (from Porto) and it was very, very lovely.
Buen Camino or Bom Caminho! ;)

Hi, I'm grappling with the same choice and I look like settling on the Norte from Irun, then changing onto the Primitivo through to SDC in May/June. By doing this route, I think I get the best out of the coast and the mountains without the crowds. I've watched a few youtube video's of the Portugues route and for me, its just not as inspiring as the northern route. I'm more interested in the scenic beauty, some solitude, time for reflection and physical challenge of the Camino, rather than a religious experience. If I get time, I plan on getting a bus through to Finisterre and Muxia for a couple of days. Happy to discuss.

Thanks
M

Hi Mark, thank you for your message. I rplied to you a few days ago and just now realized that my reply was posted to somebody else.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mark, thank you for your message. I rplied to you a few days ago and just now realized that my reply was posted to somebody else.

Mark,
The Norte during May & June will be less crowded, but you may hit an abundance of rain up there during that time not to mention the mud that goes along with it. It truly is a beautiful walk though.

Hooked! Considering take the Camino again. This time, probably Norte or Portuguese in September/October. Which one you would do if it were you? I know that both are very nice, but when you have to choose one, which one you would choose?

The painting is from my Camino Frances last year.
View attachment 55685
Lovely painting.
Views on Norte lovely but competitive feeling more sport than pilgrimage. At least in July/Aug.

Camino climate/friendliness/spiritual feeling better on Portuguese (walked from Lisboa). A bit more boring surroundings I would say but there are alternatives and most of the time ok.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
By saying competitive feeling, do you mean people rush for beds? I met a pilgrim who had just switched fro Norte to Frances. He told me that the number of pilgrims walking the Norte increased by 30% last year. You have to arrive at albergue before 11:00 am to secure a bed.

We did the norte and primitivo 4 years ago. Only missed 2-3 municipal albergues because one only had 12 beds (we walked another 200 metres to get a private albergue for 12 euros) and could not find one in Oviedo or Bilbao. I hope the bed race does not start on the norte as we return in 3 weeks!

I’ve completed both - San Sebastián to Santiago in six weeks and Lisbon to Porto to Santiago in six weeks. El Norte may be like the first car you buy, the most memorable for only that reason. El Norte may be more physically challenging but not bad for a 66 years old with bad knees from basketball late into life. Portuguese seemed to have closer facilities and historical towns to linger in. Either will be great.
BF375991-EB1F-4240-A09C-451133F8932E.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’ve completed both - San Sebastián to Santiago in six weeks and Lisbon to Porto to Santiago in six weeks. El Norte may be like the first car you buy, the most memorable for only that reason. El Norte may be more physically challenging but not bad for a 66 years old with bad knees from basketball late into life. Portuguese seemed to have closer facilities and historical towns to linger in. Either will be great.
View attachment 56096
Thank you Bob! The photo looks beautiful. I guess it is from Norte.

By saying competitive feeling, do you mean people rush for beds? I met a pilgrim who had just switched fro Norte to Frances. He told me that the number of pilgrims walking the Norte increased by 30% last year. You have to arrive at albergue before 11:00 am to secure a bed.
It was a bit of a bed rush but it was not that I was thinking of. More of a feeling of doing it for sports reasons then anything else. People asking you how far have you walked, how fast not with a curious intent more to be able to brag them self (hard when they meet me who always do double "normal distances" ;-) ). A lot of people I met was taking badly about CF as it was to easy they did CN because it was harder... I missed open churches, pilgrim masses in the small towns etc. Of course I met lovely pilgrims as well but not as often as I have on the previous caminos. Less people walking by themself on Norte as well. Lots of friends doing an event together. But hey that is just my feeling, others might have a totally different experience.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.