• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte or Primitivo in May?

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
Hey everyone,

I live in Valencia, Spain, so I'm already in Spain. The official state of alarm ends on May 9th, and my plan is to (hopefully, assuming travel restrictions ease internally) head up and do 7-10 days of one of these two hikes. I don't expect albergue's to be open yet, so I'll likely AirBNB or hotel if possible.

I need to train for a hike in July in Italy (assuming I can travel to Italy by then), so I'm leaning towards the primitivo since it has a lot of elevation to practice on. But I'm worried it might be a bit wet in May there.

Any thoughts on the Norte vs Primitivo in May in terms of enjoyment (weather, food, etc.), and difficulty (my impression is the primitivo is more difficult, but I don't mind the Norte as long as it's provides some elevation challenge once and a while).

Any thoughts? Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Albergues are open in Galicia. Asturias?? Primitivo would grant you some challenges, lots of lovely elevation and maybe some residual snow - always good exercise. You could start in Santiago, head for Lugo and see how far toward Oviedo you can get. That'll give you a few days acclimatization before the real ascents commence and the rain will be coming from behind you which means an umbrella should suffice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First, to answer your question. As between Norte and Primitivo, I would go with the Primitivo just because it is more off road and I know you have had some shin splint issues.

Now to give an unsolicited opinion 😀 If you’re looking for elevation, I highly recommend the Saiatz alternative of the Vasco Interior. Glorious!!! But maybe too short for you. But the crown jewel for mountains would have to be the Olvidado (starting in Aguilar de Campoo) to Ponferrada.

Based on when. We hiked the Norte and then the primitivo 2 years ago, we had great weather, hardly any rain and the up and down on the primitivo was fabulous. Spend some time in Lugo if you can spare, the Roman ruins are great.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey everyone,

I live in Valencia, Spain, so I'm already in Spain. The official state of alarm ends on May 9th, and my plan is to (hopefully, assuming travel restrictions ease internally) head up and do 7-10 days of one of these two hikes. I don't expect albergue's to be open yet, so I'll likely AirBNB or hotel if possible.

I need to train for a hike in July in Italy (assuming I can travel to Italy by then), so I'm leaning towards the primitivo since it has a lot of elevation to practice on. But I'm worried it might be a bit wet in May there.

Any thoughts on the Norte vs Primitivo in May in terms of enjoyment (weather, food, etc.), and difficulty (my impression is the primitivo is more difficult, but I don't mind the Norte as long as it's provides some elevation challenge once and a while).

Any thoughts? Thanks!
If you do the beginning of the northern Camino there is plenty of elevation challenge

Hey everyone,

Any thoughts? Thanks!
What is the name of the hike in Italy? Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Food wise and hotel availability wise a walk between Irun or SS to Bilbao would fit your timeline. Loved the Basque Country.

First part of the Norte would be my choice. Lots of up and down. Beautiful coast. Maybe more choices of accommodation.

If you had time, you could start in Léon and walk the Salvador to Oviedo. That is definitely up and down, and you finish up in Oviedo, which is where the Primitivo starts.
Agree. I really want to do the Salvador and then Primitivo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So I was getting set to head up to the Norte this week and start, but the weather is looking pretty dismal. Anyone do the Camino Portuguese from Porto in May and have some thoughts? I really want to do some of the Norte, but not if it's raining 80% of the time. I'll see what it looks like next week, but Monday the internal travel restrictions end so I'm anxious to head out somewhere and start walking.

@DuaneS have you considered the Primitivo? Just that the Basque Country (around Bilbao) is still a red zone, with high rates of infection. I assume they will keep some kind of perimeter control if numbers don't improve. However you would be the best judge to know what is happening locally, being in Spain.

@DuaneS have you considered the Primitivo? Just that the Basque Country (around Bilbao) is still a red zone, with high rates of infection. I assume they will keep some kind of perimeter control if numbers don't improve. However you would be the best judge to know what is happening locally, being in Spain.

The state of alarm ends tomorrow across Spain, and with it the perimeter restrictions. The basque country asked their local courts for an extension, but it was rejected, for better or worse. So right now all options are on the table starting tomorrow. Unfortunately the weather up north on the Norte and Primitivo is pretty dismal, so I'm not sure what to do yet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So I bit the bullet and bought a train ticket to Irún tomorrow. The weather on the Norte seems pretty dismal right now, at least on my phone, but I’m hoping it’s just all these apps reporting a little rain for an hour as. “Rainy day”. I’m not super keen on walking in the rain day after day, so I’ll head up there and see what it looks like. That said, the Frances is showing decent weather next week. So I may decide after a few days to train to Pamplona and walk to Burgos instead.

Where are you, the Camino or Alta Via 1,
Buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back