• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte Pack List

Don Camillo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 04-16
Norte/Primitivo 09-16
VdlP/ Sanabres 02/3-17
Levante 09/17,
Ruta de la Lana 09/18
I know all pack lists come down to personal preference but for what it is worth here is mine, full and frank. Most of this is tried and tested on the Frances earlier this year but I have modified it taking into account what I used and what I didn't as opposed to weight (which will hover around 7.5 -8 kg).
Vango Khumbu 50lt trekking ruck sac (not as robust as my Lowe Alpine but half the weight)
Highlander Bivvy Bag. Definitely an acquired taste but worth its 770g, complete freedom to sleep where you want and waterproof/breathable too).
Sleeping mat - cut down for easier packing.
Robson Downlite 300 sleeping bag (1kg)
Clothing ( I am wearing some of this stuff so not everything is in the pack)
Boots. Wore my Karrimor's out on Frances - soles failed and seams split, so this time I have gone for a pair of surplus (but new) Altberg Defenders £50 from ebay ! Currently wearing them in, only downside I can think of is I need to bring along waterproof waxing stuff for them to keep them marginally waterproof. (It's almost sad but that's another 40g !)
2 x Long sleeve base layers. Quick dry and lightweight.
2 x T shirt base layers .
1 x mid layer micro fleece. There that's three layers without even thinking about it.
2 x Craghopper trekking trousers.. loads of pockets some zipped.
3 pairs of "isodry" type socks (not thick but not exactly thin either)
Waterproof overtrousers heavy weight ones. I tried lightweight ones and the mileage from a week of rain on the Frances wore out the proofing very quickly rendering them useless so I am going with quality this time.
Waterproof jacket. Again a final check on weather will determine if I opt for a lightweight or slightly heavier jacket. As both act as my top layer in case it gets cold it will be a last minute decision.
Boxers, built for comfort not speed ! Gloves and hat.
Micro towel, again acquired taste but they do work.
Toiletries including skin cream which is worth its weight in gold, plus sun cream.
2 x plastic water bottles (half litre each). Head torch and spare batteries.
Guide book (for the maps but not the bit about crossing railway bridges!), mobile phone and charger, pocket knife, can opener/spoon (bizarre but it's real and it works), compass (10 g's worth of peace of mind),pen. 12, yes twelve, Snickers bars...calories by the bucket load... stuff yourself silly, put the miles in and still lose weight (over a stone last time).
That's roughly it. 7.5 to 8 Kg (plus 1 Kg for water and a bit more for food). Stuff I need at the top of the pack, everything in plastic and still room for a couple of days food.
Hope this is informative, again everyone packs differently and I could lose a kg or so by not having the ability to rough it a night or two but why compromise that experience.
23 days to go and counting, Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi do you plan to include a stove? Not being a fan of waterproof trousers i'am going to pack a rain kilt. They are cheap, lightweight and you could make your own. I would only take a pair of trousers and running shorts. I would also reduce the number of tops to one of each.

No stove that will start adding to many extras and weight. For food it is bread/cheese etc etc when on the road topped up by whatever is available when in town. I will stick to the waterproof trousers but you have a point regarding the tops. To be honest I could leave 1 top behind based on my previous experience but I am taking one extra for flexibility as may ber restricted on where I can wash them. They pack small and weigh 230 g or so. The trousers are the same only marginally more weight than shorts and, not that its a fashion show, my pale white Brit legs don't really go well with shorts. I don't do much running now either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You took the norte?
did you camp by choice or because it was your only option due to where you stopped walking?

I know all pack lists come down to personal preference but for what it is worth here is mine, full and frank. Most of this is tried and tested on the Frances earlier this year but I have modified it taking into account what I used and what I didn't as opposed to weight (which will hover around 7.5 -8 kg).
Vango Khumbu 50lt trekking ruck sac (not as robust as my Lowe Alpine but half the weight)
Highlander Bivvy Bag. Definitely an acquired taste but worth its 770g, complete freedom to sleep where you want and waterproof/breathable too).
Sleeping mat - cut down for easier packing.
Robson Downlite 300 sleeping bag (1kg)
Clothing ( I am wearing some of this stuff so not everything is in the pack)
Boots. Wore my Karrimor's out on Frances - soles failed and seams split, so this time I have gone for a pair of surplus (but new) Altberg Defenders £50 from ebay ! Currently wearing them in, only downside I can think of is I need to bring along waterproof waxing stuff for them to keep them marginally waterproof. (It's almost sad but that's another 40g !)
2 x Long sleeve base layers. Quick dry and lightweight.
2 x T shirt base layers .
1 x mid layer micro fleece. There that's three layers without even thinking about it.
2 x Craghopper trekking trousers.. loads of pockets some zipped.
3 pairs of "isodry" type socks (not thick but not exactly thin either)
Waterproof overtrousers heavy weight ones. I tried lightweight ones and the mileage from a week of rain on the Frances wore out the proofing very quickly rendering them useless so I am going with quality this time.
Waterproof jacket. Again a final check on weather will determine if I opt for a lightweight or slightly heavier jacket. As both act as my top layer in case it gets cold it will be a last minute decision.
Boxers, built for comfort not speed ! Gloves and hat.
Micro towel, again acquired taste but they do work.
Toiletries including skin cream which is worth its weight in gold, plus sun cream.
2 x plastic water bottles (half litre each). Head torch and spare batteries.
Guide book (for the maps but not the bit about crossing railway bridges!), mobile phone and charger, pocket knife, can opener/spoon (bizarre but it's real and it works), compass (10 g's worth of peace of mind),pen. 12, yes twelve, Snickers bars...calories by the bucket load... stuff yourself silly, put the miles in and still lose weight (over a stone last time).
That's roughly it. 7.5 to 8 Kg (plus 1 Kg for water and a bit more for food). Stuff I need at the top of the pack, everything in plastic and still room for a couple of days food.
Hope this is informative, again everyone packs differently and I could lose a kg or so by not having the ability to rough it a night or two but why compromise that experience.
23 days to go and counting, Buen Camino.
Good list. I am starting my 4th Camino in September and I am doing the Norte also. I always feel like I am packing too much. I am taking only 2 quick dry shirts and two pairs of pants that can zip off to make into shorts. For layering and no fleece I have the lightest Under Armor. I will wear these at night and early in the morning. Usually I wear my short pants over the Under Armor and when it starts to get hot I take off the Under Armor and stuff it in my pack. I don't take extra batteries because you can get them everywhere and you can download free compasses to your smart phone. IPhones come with them. Instead of Snickers Bars try buying Goo. Marathoners use them. They are light and small and give a great energy burst and will not melt in your pack if its a hot day. Let us know any highlights, great places to sleep, especially good donatives with fun and good dinners, and low points too!! Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.