Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre in 27 days - planning for 2016

noway

Hi,

This summer I walked the Camino Frances in 22 days.

Loved it! For the summer of 2016 I'm planning to walk the Camino Norte, switching to the Camino Primitivo, and then walk to Finisterre and Muxia.

My plan for the 3 Stages:
  1. Camino Norte: 14 days
  2. Camino Primitivo: 10 days
  3. From SdC to Finisterre and Muxia: 3 days
I will use 27 days walking. Then have one day relaxing in SdC
(Start walking 19.06 and arrive in Muxia 16.07)

Questions:
  1. I have one extra rest day that I can take during my walk. Any recommendations as to where?
  2. Anyone here that has walked both the Camino Frances, and then the route I mentioned above in recent years? Need some points as to what to consider/plan for when it comes to the norte/primitivo in relation to the Camino Frances?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to be different I'd suggest rather than taking whole rest days I'd walk shorter distances on each of the Sundays - the Norte passes through more remote areas than the Frances and you will find few shops open on Sundays, even in bigger towns

How lucky you are to be able to walk all those routes in on stretch, unfortunately it would take me so much longer.

There is nothing really so particular on the Northern routes at that time of the year in comparison to the CF that would cause you to change much. Perhaps just be sure to have more reliable rain gear, making sure you have walking poles as there are a few bits that are ultra steep on uneven terrain and a slightly warmer sleeping bag incase it rains days after day making you a bit colder.

As for where to "rest", there are a number of options. At the start there is Bilbao, then Santander on the waterfront. Santillna is beautiful, but not enough for a full day, even if you visit the cave. Lugo is lovely as well, but other than the plaza not lots to entertain you. Then there are some beautiful places that are not for siteseeing but beach and scenary. If you surf, Samo (?), just before the ferry to Santander if a surf hotspot where you could rent a board. Now, the waves, not Hawai though ;)

Have a wonderful time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The point of the rest day for me is restitution. As I walk longer and faster than the average, I arrive at the albergue 12 hours or more after I started the day. The issue with that starts creeping up on you after a week: The body does not get enough rest each day. A complete rest day just laying around, eating, drinking and sleeping really helps a lot J

Taking two half days might also work. I might consider that.

Also thanks for sharing a couple of cities that might do for a rest day. I would like to do my rest day half way into the walk and not too early like Bilbao.

When I walked the CF I never booked a room in advance. There was always 3-4 albergues in town I always got a room. Is that different when walking the norte/primitivo?

What guide books ore other material did you use? There is very little out there.

Noway:

There are online guides Gronze.com and Eroski sites. Many people also use the Northern routes Cicerone guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi,

This summer I walked the Camino Frances in 22 days.

Loved it! For the summer of 2016 I'm planning to walk the Camino Norte, switching to the Camino Primitivo, and then walk to Finisterre and Muxia.

My plan for the 3 Stages:
  1. Camino Norte: 14 days
  2. Camino Primitivo: 10 days
  3. From SdC to Finisterre and Muxia: 3 days
I will use 27 days walking. Then have one day relaxing in SdC
(Start walking 19.06 and arrive in Muxia 16.07)

Questions:
  1. I have one extra rest day that I can take during my walk. Any recommendations as to where?
  2. Anyone here that has walked both the Camino Frances, and then the route I mentioned above in recent years? Need some points as to what to consider/plan for when it comes to the norte/primitivo in relation to the Camino Frances?

Noway:

I am assuming you plan to jump to the Primitivo at Villaviciosa/Oviedo?

Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the Norte you will find a few places with sleeping options, but not many, and even fewer on the Primitivo.

Oviedo is a nice little city with lots of hotels and pensiones and if you want to add culture to your stay you can take a look at the cathedral bur especially the Naranco sites.

On the Norte lots of beaches; arriving into Noya, the one in Castro Urdiales or Laredo. Not mich to see do other thant lay on the beach and all have many sleeping options.

Thanks for the site recomendations:
I'm planning to divert from the Norte at Sebrayo and then walk one day to Oviedo. Seems like the main option according to those sites.

Do I need to book at the Albergues in advance?
Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish - is that a greater problem on this route compared to CF?

Noway:

I walked the month of April 2014. I did no booking ahead and had no problems finding accommodation.

Sebrayo has nothing more than an Albergue and a questionable bar/restaurant down the road. I would walk on to Villaviciosa. It is a nice town with a lot of accommodation and food options. The split to Oviedo comes a short distance after leaving Villaviciosa and is clearly marked.

I would suggest you stay on the Norte and save the Primitivo for a Salvador/Primitivo combination at a later time.

In regards to language, the more Spanish you know the better. I do not speak Spanish, with the exception of a few sentences, and did not have a problem. During the Summer there will be more Pilgrims so my experience might not be the same as yours.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes jpflavin1, the big question is wheter I should walk the primitivo Norte or split and walk the Primitivo. To be honest this is my last camino, after this I will walk somewhere else.

In case I change my mind I could walk Salvador and then the rest of the Norte.

From the standpoint that this is my last camino, how would you compare the last stretch of the Norte vs. the Primitivo? Any recommendations?

Yes jpflavin1, the big question is wheter I should walk the primitivo Norte or split and walk the Primitivo. To be honest this is my last camino, after this I will walk somewhere else.

In case I change my mind I could walk Salvador and then the rest of the Norte.

From the standpoint that this is my last camino, how would you compare the last stretch of the Norte vs. the Primitivo? Any recommendations?

Noway:

These two Camino's are similar and different. I find the Primitivo to be just as hilly as the Norte and it has a similar Albergue structure. That said, it is more rural and the scenery is very different. Primitivo has more mountain views versus ocean views. The Primitivo is more path than hard surface and can be very muddy if raining. The Norte's only ugly spot is between Gijon and Aviles (very industrial). It stays ocean-side until you reach Galacia and then turns inland. They are both good routes, imo.

You mentioned this could be your last Camino. If that is the case, I would recommend you stick to your original plan. The Primitivo is different enough that makes it a nice change.

Keep in mind weather and the time of year you walk can create a different experience than I had walking in April.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
If this is your last Camino, I strongly recommend the fist half of the Norte and then the Primitivo. This way you will want to come back again and again.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The point of the rest day for me is restitution. As I walk longer and faster than the average, I arrive at the albergue 12 hours or more after I started the day. The issue with that starts creeping up on you after a week: The body does not get enough rest each day. A complete rest day just laying around, eating, drinking and sleeping really helps a lot J

Taking two half days might also work. I might consider that.

Also thanks for sharing a couple of cities that might do for a rest day. I would like to do my rest day half way into the walk and not too early like Bilbao.

When I walked the CF I never booked a room in advance. There was always 3-4 albergues in town I always got a room. Is that different when walking the norte/primitivo?

What guide books ore other material did you use? There is very little out there.

Hi, noway,
I think that both the "second part" of the Norte and the Primitivo are both pretty wonderful, but the Primitivo holds a special place in my heart. AND it gives you the option of taking a rest day in what I think is the most beautiful small city in Spain (well, ok, one of the most beautiful) -- Oviedo. It's charming, alive, great statues all over the city, beautiful parks, preserved old core around the cathedral, pre-romanesque churches about 3 km out of town, and a whole pedestrian street dedicated to nothing more than gulping down a low-alcohol cider that many love and many don't (but seeing the pouring routine is itself worth the price of a bottle).

I think the online sources are sufficient for accommodation and distances information (gronze, mundicamino, the Eroski site). Liz Brandt put together a guide for the Primitivo that's in the Resources section of the forum. Many have found it very helpful. As others have noted, I think the Cicerone guide is the most popular English language guide ifyou like the cultural commentary, etc, and don't speak Spanish. CSJ also has something in their bookshop. Buen camino, Laurie

A couple of more questions:
Where do I get my Pilgrimspassport in Irun?
Where is the offical start in Irun? ( I see some advocating starting in Hendaye)
Anyone have arecomended Albergue/hostel to recomend, that is close to the starting point

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back