• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Norte- Primitivo

TracitaEnCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Norte--Primitivo
Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I am arriving to Madrid on June 30th and have made arrangements to get to Irun that same night. I'm sure I'll be exhausted, but my hopes are to start the Camino on the 1st. I fly back to the states on August 5. With that said, I've seen the some of the route stages and I'm wondering if anyone has doubled up? I know that there may be unprecedented events (illness, blisters, etc), but I would like to hear from pilgrims who have finished this route in about a month. Is it possible!?
Oh and I should also mention that I would like to do the Hospitales route as well. I'l be starting in Irun!
Thank you!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I walked the Primitivo last year I met a number, an incredible number!, of people who walked 40-45-50km a day.

Could I do it? Nope. Can you? Only your past walking experience and the Camino will tell.

One thing to keep in mind is that July is high season, though not super high season like August, and many of the accomodations on that route (Norte) are not reserved for pilgrims only and even those who are will fill up much earlier. This means that if waltz in late in the evening you may have a hard time finding a bed.

I walked the Norte/primitivo in 34 walking days, averaging about 20-25 km walk per stage. I am overweight and not that fit. So yes, if you are fitter and could do longer distances per day and you don't require that many break days, Absolutely doable. Listen to your body, plan each stage carefully and go for it. In the worst case, you can always bus/train certain sections to gain few days..

Take a look at my stages here. You can tweak this to suit your timeline. Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked the Norte/primitivo in 34 walking days, averaging about 20-25 km walk per stage. I am overweight and not that fit. So yes, if you are fitter and could do longer distances per day and you don't require that many break days, Absolutely doable. Listen to your body, plan each stage carefully and go for it. In the worst case, you can always bus/train certain sections to gain few days..

Take a look at my stages here. You can tweak this to suit your timeline. Buen Camino.[
Thank you for the encouraging responses! 20-2km is impressive. I am a runner and exercise everyday, but have never done 20 mile stretches consecutively walking! I know my body will adjust...and hopefully my feet. I have comfortable trail runners wtih an insert, but I have mostly flat feet, which aren't in my favor. Good to know you were able to do in 34!

When I walked the Primitivo last year I met a number, an incredible number!, of people who walked 40-45-50km a day.

Could I do it? Nope. Can you? Only your past walking experience and the Camino will tell.

One thing to keep in mind is that July is high season, though not super high season like August, and many of the accomodations on that route (Norte) are not reserved for pilgrims only and even those who are will fill up much earlier. This means that if waltz in late in the evening you may have a hard time finding a bed.

Sounds like you must have met some THRU-HIKERS..perhaps they had done the PCT or AT? I know I need to be flexible and listen to my body, but it would certainly be nice to finish! I have to do my homework and read about the locations of all the different hostels/albergues. I plan to get up early and there is plenty of daylight in teh summer, but availability could be an issue.

Sounds like you must have met some THRU-HIKERS..perhaps they had done the PCT or AT? I know I need to be flexible and listen to my body, but it would certainly be nice to finish! I have to do my homework and read about the locations of all the different hostels/albergues. I plan to get up early and there is plenty of daylight in teh summer, but availability could be an issue.
No, not "Thru-hickers", just a Russian, a Swiss (78 years old!), and Italian amd 2 Portuguese. Ah, and the man walking back via the Hospitales route! Bumped into him when the clouds came in and left us with zero visibility for a coup,e of minutes. It would be nice if you could finish, you're right, you will figure out no doubt. Have fun planning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Tracita!
You may be unaware of the fact that you will arrive to Irun on the day of a HUGE fiesta (local holiday), the day of San Marcial. In the past I happened to arrive to Irun on the very same day, June the 30th, and was totally shocked by what I saw on the streets: awesome parades of the people dressed in red, white and black, some of them carrying shotguns and firing them in the air!
un_lugar_en_el_paraiso_san_marcial_irun_descarga_iglesia_juncal_eva_pascual.jpg

To my disappointment, I soon realized they don't celebrate my arrival on the Camino del Norte, but some past victory over the French army, or something. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the festivities very much. Next day, early in the morning I started to walk the Norte, when some of the people were still in the bars.
A word of practical advice: If you plan to stay in a hostel or pension on that night, make a reservation well ahead of time, because eventually all the rooms will be gone. Also, in the afternoon, all the supermarkets are closed - but all the restaurants are open (and they are extremely crowded). People come to see that fiesta from the entire region, including the neigboring area in France (to celebrate their defeat?). Any reason is good for a fiesta!

Buen Camino!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I am arriving to Madrid on June 30th and have made arrangements to get to Irun that same night. I'm sure I'll be exhausted, but my hopes are to start the Camino on the 1st. I fly back to the states on August 5. With that said, I've seen the some of the route stages and I'm wondering if anyone has doubled up? I know that there may be unprecedented events (illness, blisters, etc), but I would like to hear from pilgrims who have finished this route in about a month. Is it possible!?
Oh and I should also mention that I would like to do the Hospitales route as well. I'l be starting in Irun!
Thank you!
Hallo!!! Well last year I started from Bilbao the north way and continued the primitivo and also did the hospitales route.... Yes it is possible to do it in a month even if u rest for a day or two.....my boyfriend started in Irun and needed 32 days but with two days off and also some days with few kilometers walking.....so yes it is possible!!!!!
Have a great way!!!!
Buen camino!!!!!!!

I hope it's possible as we depart Irun on 28 April and hope to arrive Santiago on the 28 May. Longish segments but 4 days rest. 50 fat and fit (ish) so here's hoping.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Tracita!
You may be unaware of the fact that you will arrive to Irun on the day of a HUGE fiesta (local holiday), the day of San Marcial. In the past I happened to arrive to Irun on the very same day, June the 30th, and was totally shocked by what I saw on the streets: awesome parades of the people dressed in red, white and black, some of them carrying shotguns and firing them in the air!
un_lugar_en_el_paraiso_san_marcial_irun_descarga_iglesia_juncal_eva_pascual.jpg

To my disappointment, I soon realized they don't celebrate my arrival on the Camino del Norte, but some past victory over the French army, or something. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the festivities very much. Next day, early in the morning I started to walk the Norte, when some of the people were still in the bars.
A word of practical advice: If you plan to stay in a hostel or pension on that night, make a reservation well ahead of time, because eventually all the rooms will be gone. Also, in the afternoon, all the supermarkets are closed - but all the restaurants are open (and they are extremely crowded). People come to see that fiesta from the entire region, including the neigboring area in France (to celebrate their defeat?). Any reason is good for a fiesta!

Buen Camino!
wowza!!! What a fun factoid! I'll be getting in late, who knows what type of revelry will be going on in the streets. I already booked my pension, so hopefully they'll honor that!!!

Back