• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte section as a family of 5 - is there enough accommodation?

Mandygoingplaces

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm hoping you wonderful forum members will be able to help me as you have before.

Am I mad to try and take my partner and 3 teenagers on a four day section of the Norte ? (probably Santilana to Llanes - short walking days).

Having walked 3 weeks worth of the Norte (over 3 separate years) solo and loved it, I am keen to give them the wonderful experience of the Camino -backpacking, the kindness of strangers, beautiful countryside, hard physical effort vs reward and all the other good stuff that it brings.
However having done a days research it seems a lot of the Albergues are, or will be at capacity, or worse still closed, and although we don't mind paying for the odd B&B/hotel I'm not sure we can risk trying to sleep 5 without booking at a municipal, which according to Booking.com means an expensive and impossible 4 days - booking inflated priced hotels nowhere near the route. Are there not enough Albergues to support the increased number of pilgrims now? I'm up for camping, but wild is illegal (and a bit obvious with 5 of us) and carrying enough tents might pose a problem, that is if there are camp sites not too far from the route.

I appreciate Booking.com does not give an entirely real picture, and am happy to try and call independent hostels to book ahead of time. But there don't seem to be very many of those, either.

I'm not one to admit defeat, but is there any way this can work for us? Are there other Caminos - Italy? - where word hasn't yet got out and the pilgrim hostels will be able to accommodate us?

I know this has been done - I met a lovely Portugese family of 5 doing it in 2020 who, to my knowledge are still walking a week a year to get to Santiago someday...

If you can offer any thoughts and save me from a package holiday I would be forever grateful :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not mad at all! It's a wonderful plan. I went with my family and some friends this time last year and we were a group of eight in all (on the Portugues). We booked bunks in private albergues and used the odd booking.com flat where we needed to. I reckon the private albergues are the best way forward if you want to be sure of accommodation in advance, but five isn't a silly number if you're trying the municipal ones too (though I leave it to people with more up-to-date knowledge to give you better insight into that). Good luck!

It would be risky on the Norte, but not impossible. During vacation season, though, it would be even more difficult to find five beds in the same accommodation for a low price. Either plan for off-season or consider a less popular route or one with more accommodation choices.

May I suggest the Aragon route? (Camino Aragon aka Camino Frances through Aragon). It’s rarely (if ever!) crowded, incredibly beautiful, and very historic. Starting at the French/Spanish border in Somport, four days of walking will take you to Canfranc Pueblo, Jaca, Arres, and Ruesta - the best part of that route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I must second Vacajoe;'s recommendation. The Camino Aragones, starting in Oleron Ste. Marie, is much less crowded, a gorgeous walk and one where the spirit of the camino shines bright. From Oleron, you walk several days to get to the Somport pass. It's not one and done like the Frances. In Sarrance, the monastery is a dream with a communal meal we will never forget. At Somport, the peaks, still with snow even in August, tower above you, unlike the Frances where you at the top. Jaca is truly special, as is San Juan de la Pena, Javier, Leyre and Sanguesa.

I just returned last night after being hosted by the various pilgrim associations in Navarre. It was not a camino, although we walked on both the Frances or Aragones each day. We were welcomed in each place by members of the local associations who embraced us with a true pilgrim embrace. These two routes share much history together, but while the Frances gets ever more crowded, the Aragones remains a route with plenty of peregrinos for comeraderie while you could still walk a day and encounter very few.

HI @Mandygoingplaces I LOVE the Aragones Way - I was just there for the third time a little over a week ago. And it has some very special albergues, as others have mentioned, which may well be able to accommodate your family group.

I'm hesitant to discourage - especially when it comes to the Aragones! But just some context that may be relevant to you.

I'm assuming from your Avatar that you're travelling from the UK. And from your post that you're short on time. The Norte has quite a few ready access points as you already know. Getting to the Col du Somport, whether via Spain or France, may require more time than you can allow. Also I'm not aware of any transport directly out of Ruesta - so that could also add to the time required and logistics. If I'm wrong on that I'm sure others will chime in to say so.

Also, you mentioned '(probably Santilana to Llanes - short walking days). So that's less than 20 kms per day.

The 4 stages between Col du Somport to Ruesta are wonderful - even if you don't have time to visit the Monasteries de San Juan de la Pena. But of the stages mentioned above, Jaca to Arres, and Arres to Ruesta,, are around 25 and 28 kms respectively (though there is the possibility of a shorter stage to Artieda).

Anyhoo, not intending to be negative about others' suggestions, just adding some practicalities that may be relevant to you. If I've misunderstood and easy access/travelling time is not an issue - then ignore all of the above. If you do have time to get yourself to and from the Aragones, it will be a great four days of walking.

Whatever you decide, what a wonderful family adventure. Best wishes. Buen Camino.

Ps. Sorry I can’t offer any information about the Norte accommodation situation.

Last edited:
Or try the Camino Ingles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It would be risky on the Norte, but not impossible. During vacation season, though, it would be even more difficult to find five beds in the same accommodation for a low price. Either plan for off-season or consider a less popular route or one with more accommodation choices.

May I suggest the Aragon route? (Camino Aragon aka Camino Frances through Aragon). It’s rarely (if ever!) crowded, incredibly beautiful, and very historic. Starting at the French/Spanish border in Somport, four days of walking will take you to Canfranc Pueblo, Jaca, Arres, and Ruesta - the best part of that route.
This is a great idea!

Thank you all so much for your very insightful comments and ideas.
Having google-mapped the Camino Aragon it looks absolutely stunning, and those first few days walking look very varied an beautiful, and hopefully much quieter :)
I really appreciate your comments though @Pelerina around the logistics of getting there and back. The overall time is not so much of an issue though, and maybe we could make the travel to the start and return part of the adventure!? I also need to do more research on the kms per stage, to see if there is any way of breaking up the larger ones for the children and stopping in between...
I think I found something last week that gave the hostels on that route - I will see if they can be pre-booked.
Many thanks all!

Hey there Gronze has everything you need for this route. Accommodation distances elevations. but some cannot be prebooked eg Arres and Canfranc Pueblo which are both v special. 😎

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.