• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte sept-oct 2021?

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys!

I'm looking to go back on the Camino this autumn, having walked already the Frances in 2019. I'd like to vary thing a bit and try a new way, so I was thinking about the Norte. I have all of September and October, but I was wondering if it's doable, considering Covid restrictions and albergues closure for the autumn season and such.

I'd be willing to try another camino, Norte is not mandatory, but I feel that walking the Frances again would take some 'magic' out of the experience.

Anybody walking the Norte at the same time?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am like minded with the Norte and the time frame but will not bother if testing is required in either direction during air travel. Alternatively I will travel in the U.S. until all of that is settled. Fingers crossed for Sep/Oct though.

I'd be willing to try another camino, Norte is not mandatory, but I feel that walking the Frances again would take some 'magic' of the experience.
I think that September - October might be an ideal time for the Norte, especially since it's past the summer holidays when the Northern coast is so popular with tourists. You will likely find quite a few other pilgrims walking at that time. However, I don't know when albergues start closing for the season, so you should probably budget for some private accommodations. In fact on the Norte a larger daily budget is probably a good idea most any time of the year, since the pilgrim infrastructure isn't as robust as on the Francés.
That said, a repeat Camino Frances can be just as "magical" as your first, provided that you don't try to recreate your first experience. Make it its own unique experience by spending more time in towns that you just walked through the first time. And of course you will meet a whole new group of pilgrims. That's where I find much of the magic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi guys!

I'm looking to go back on the Camino this autumn, having walked already the Frances in 2019. I'd like to vary thing a bit and try a new way, so I was thinking about the Norte. I have all of September and October, but I was wondering if it's doable, considering Covid restrictions and albergues closure for the autumn season and such.

I'd be willing to try another camino, Norte is not mandatory, but I feel that walking the Frances again would take some 'magic' out of the experience.

My niece and I are walking from San Sebastian Starting Oct 1st we're planning on switching over to the Primitivo though. We're hoping to arrive in Santiago on Nov 1st.

I agree with @trecile that the Norte in autumn sounds like a very good choice. When I walked it in springtime, it was very nice to have a huge array of accommodation options other than albergues — touristic apartments, small hotels, etc — all waiting for the tourist crowds to arrive, but willing to cut prices quite drastically for peregrinos. I’m assuming that the same rationale will hold true in a fall Norte. The tourists will be gone, and many of the owners who have survived covid will likely continue to keep their places open during the fall. If you’re committed to an albergue-only camino, though, I think that the situation could be a bit more tricky.

Early September through mid October is an ideal time to walk the del Norte. I finished the second half of my second del Norte in late October into early November and concluded that was a little late. Lots of wind and rain and some very cool days. And few fellow Peregrinos. But enough, of course, to make new Amigos del Camino for life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys!

I've got the Norte and Primitivo planned for September/October, from my planning there are a lot of places open and it (fingers tightly crossed) can only get better right! :)

Hi guys!

I am hoping to walk Primitivo in October but I am exploring taking the ferry from Plymouth here in England to Santander on del Norte then walking from there to Villaviciosa/Sebrayo and cutting across to Oviedo to pick up the The Primitivo. This works out at about 500k give or take. I have no time pressures so may decide to start mid September. I will just see how it goes.
Buen Camino
Vince

My current hope/plan is to begin walking from Irun on September 7, 2021. I have a little over three weeks before I need to get back to the U.S. I'll see how far I get (hopefully to Oviedo) and, provided the universe, my health and the various powers-that-be are agreeable, I'll walk the Primitivo in May, 2022.

Until this latest variant appeared, I was concerned the Norte would be crowded in September. At this point, it's hard to tell what may happen or what restrictions might be in place by then.

Here's hoping for the best.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My niece and I are walking from San Sebastian Starting Oct 1st we're planning on switching over to the Primitivo though. We're hoping to arrive in Santiago on Nov 1st.
HI there, just wondering how this went Emily? I am thinking of beginning early October this year (2022) but don't like walking too many days over 25C. How did you find the temperatures? Even though I imagine some of the public albergues may be closing during October, did you find enough private accommodation to make the days not too long? I would appreciate any wisdom you may care to share, this will be my 8th camino but have never walked the Norte and now feel it's call very strongly. cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back