• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte this July...

zimmecp

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2017
Hi Everybody!

I'll be heading out on the Camino del Norte near the end of June...finishing on July 31 (I think)... Anyone else out there doing the Norte this July???

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be a week behind you both, walking out of Irun on the 5th of July.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Everybody!

I'll be heading out on the Camino del Norte near the end of June...finishing on July 31 (I think)... Anyone else out there doing the Norte this July???
Hi,
I'm arriving Irún June 22nd to start del Norte the next day. May see you on the way.

Hey!
I'm leaving Irun on the 28th of June and planning to do Norte/Primitivo :)

Looks like I'll be a day behind you! I arrive in Madrid on the 28th...leave Irun on the 29th! But I'll actually be in San Sebastian on the night of the 28th...I'll pm you my info if you want to meet up!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning on a 17th or 18th of July start in Irun. Depends on when exactly my flights get in ;)

I'll pass through Irun on June 28 from SJPD for Norte/Primitivo.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey!
I'm leaving Irun on the 28th of June and planning to do Norte/Primitivo :)
I am looking at norte as one option, i am sensing the frances route will be crowded. i definitely want to do muxial (spelling)

That's why i chose to do Norte aswell - don't like when it gets too crowded :)
When are you planning to do it?

Hi Everybody!

What is the weather like in June/July/August? I've read the forums here and totally confused. I'm doing the Norte this year - starting anytime between June - September ;)...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Weather? There is a saying in Asturias: 'If you don't like the weather, just wait for 15 minutes.' :)
I guess it can be anything between 16 and 28 degrees Celsius. It can be sunny, it can be cloudy, it can rain and it probably will change all the time.

I'm hoping to start on June 6 from Irun - I will not walk over 22 km in a day (13 miles) so I have my own Etaps and I will finish towards the end of July. Booked my flight to Biarritz BUT I need to shop in Irun. A pole (or poles?) and dog repellent.
Everything in America is a rip-off, we can't walk without $1,000 worth of gear but I did buy a pack yesterday and I'm doing 8.5 miles in SF today with the pack. My knees may give out (it did two months ago when I walked 8.5 miles with a heavy pack) so I will utilize luggage service on long days and steep climbs.

I'm due to arrive in Bilbao on the evening of 6th July, and start walking next day. It would be great to see some of you who've posted on this thread, though I leave Australia on the 4th, so please forgive me if I'm jet-lagged and grumpy! I'll do part of the Camino del Norte, then turn off onto the Primitivo, and hopefully walk to Finisterre and Muxia, time permitting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm due to arrive in Bilbao on the evening of 6th July, and start walking next day. It would be great to see some of you who've posted on this thread, though I leave Australia on the 4th, so please forgive me if I'm jet-lagged and grumpy! I'll do part of the Camino del Norte, then turn off onto the Primitivo, and hopefully walk to Finisterre and Muxia, time permitting.
Hi Malcom, my partner and I will be walking the Norte in early July, it's our first time, walk any of the Camino we are also from Australia hope to see you on the way. We have chosen the north to avoid the crowds too.

I will be in Bilbao a couple of days before you or maybe even at the same time, depending on how much i've decided to walk during the first days, so might eventually meet up..:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi! I'm leaving San Sebastián on 15th June. Hope to meet some of you along the way.

I'm hoping to start on June 6 from Irun - I will not walk over 22 km in a day (13 miles) so I have my own Etaps and I will finish towards the end of July. Booked my flight to Biarritz BUT I need to shop in Irun. A pole (or poles?) and dog repellent.
Everything in America is a rip-off, we can't walk without $1,000 worth of gear but I did buy a pack yesterday and I'm doing 8.5 miles in SF today with the pack. My knees may give out (it did two months ago when I walked 8.5 miles with a heavy pack) so I will utilize luggage service on long days and steep climbs.

For poles, as i might have to do the shopping there aswell, i found these shops.

1) If you are staying in the Albergue de peregrinos de Irun, the closest (3 minute walk according to google maps) is Intersport.
Intersport - C/Fuenterrabía s/n, 20300, Irun.
http://www.intersport.es/productos/outdoor/bastones

2) Another option:
Decathlon - Parque Comercial Txingudi, 20305, Irún. Opening times: monday-saturday, 9h30-21h30.

3)You could also go to the same shop just across the border, on the french side (because you will be coming from France anyway):
Decathlon - Water Sports Center by Decathlon; 8, Rue des orangers, 64700. Opening times: monday-saturday, 9h-20h.

Maybe someone who has been there, can say if they sell poles or is it a shop specialized on water sports?

Buen Camino

I'm also from Australia and start walking my Camino from Bidart on the 26th May after spending two nights in Bayonne.I will only walk about 10k each day for the first few days.
Sooooo looking forward to this.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning on starting in Irun on the 19th of July :)

Maybe we'll meet on the way :) I'll be a few days ahead but am planning in a couple of rest/sightseeing/beach days in Bilbao/Santander, Gijon, Ribadeo, and Santiago so I'll be on the road a total of 38 days from Irun to Muxia.

Buen Camino!!

Weather? There is a saying in Asturias: 'If you don't like the weather, just wait for 15 minutes.' :)
I guess it can be anything between 16 and 28 degrees Celsius. It can be sunny, it can be cloudy, it can rain and it probably will change all the time.

Haha! We have similar mercurial weather in Dallas! But alas...I think I have solved the problem! Thanks for the tip!

I walked 20 Klm in SF Sat and Sun with a full pack AND my knees survived!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's why i chose to do Norte aswell - don't like when it gets too crowded :)
When are you planning to do it?
I see that you are talking about the Camino del Norte NOT being busy. I experienced last year end of July (Irun - Bilbao) that the way itself is not crowded, but the albergues were. It even got to a situation that a pilgrim who had an injury that made him walk slowly, arrived 'late' in one of the places (Deba I believe). He took / had to take a train back to a previous village as there were no beds available. Then to find out that the albergue of that village were also packed. The feeling of not being sure of finding a place to sleep actually made me not feeling as free as I experienced before during the camino frances (the busy last part, in August). Being in time in a village was needed to find a bed, at the Camino Frances there were always alternatives available (ok sometimes more expensive) on a short walking distance.

You are right, Janneke, 'busy' is relative. The amount of albergues seems to stay a bit behind to the growth in popularity of the Norte. Were you walking out of Irun in a weekend? I hope to escape the 'crowds' a bit by setting off on a Wednesday.

Cannot remember if it was weekend or not - but it was overall very busy in the albergues. In Guernica I arrived at 12 in the local albergue and this was already full - all were booked in Advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I see that you are talking about the Camino del Norte NOT being busy. I experienced last year end of July (Irun - Bilbao) that the way itself is not crowded, but the albergues were. It even got to a situation that a pilgrim who had an injury that made him walk slowly, arrived 'late' in one of the places (Deba I believe). He took / had to take a train back to a previous village as there were no beds available. Then to find out that the albergue of that village were also packed. The feeling of not being sure of finding a place to sleep actually made me not feeling as free as I experienced before during the camino frances (the busy last part, in August). Being in time in a village was needed to find a bed, at the Camino Frances there were always alternatives available (ok sometimes more expensive) on a short walking distance.

Thanks for your post!
It's something i've been a bit worried about aswell-the nimber of free places in albergues. I'm travelling on a budget and hoping to be sleeping in them...

I think it will calm down a bit on the Primitivo, but still, walking and knowing that it is a race for bed, just adds some stress that shouldn't be there..
I already imagine myself wanting to enjoy the view by the coast, but secretly counting the pilgrims walking past me and checking the number of places from the wise guidebook, just to know if i should get back on the road or i have time for some extra seconds of peace and beauty for the eye.. :D :D

And booking ahead for me isn't the real thing either, it creates "limits " and you're less free..

I guess there's not much to do about it..

And booking ahead for me isn't the real thing either, it creates "limits " and you're less free..

On the Norte and Primitivo albergues are fairly far from each other making spontaneity far less common and easy to achieve than on the Frances. Might as well book ahead, unless you are one of these people able to walk an extra 10km a day, or more, without blinking.

I was also hoping to take each day as it comes, but when people talk about booking ahead, are they talking about planning out the whole Camino from beginning to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia, or just booking a couple of days ahead?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was also hoping to take each day as it comes, but when people talk about booking ahead, are they talking about planning out the whole Camino from beginning to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia, or just booking a couple of days ahead?
A couple of days ahead, or even just the night before. It really is not as much as a pain as it may seem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
About the reserving beds thing, there are a lot of places where there is just one albergue de peregrinos. Most of the time it doesn't take reservations. So then you'll have to take the chance or book a non-pilgrim option ahead.

I am doubting a bit about Irun for example. Would love to stay in the albergue to meet other pilgrims and to get the Camino feeling. But my train arrives around 6pm. Should I take the plunge? There is now already hardly an affordable hostal available anymore for that night...

I arrive in Biarritz 25th June and plan to walk from there to Irun and onwards either on Sunday next day or Monday.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be a week behind you both, walking out of Irun on the 5th of July.
I might see you Luka, I'm hoping to leave Irun on 5th July. I'll be wearing the same hat as in the photo.

About the reserving beds thing, there are a lot of places where there is just one albergue de peregrinos. Most of the time it doesn't take reservations. So then you'll have to take the chance or book a non-pilgrim option ahead.

I am doubting a bit about Irun for example. Would love to stay in the albergue to meet other pilgrims and to get the Camino feeling. But my train arrives around 6pm. Should I take the plunge? There is now already hardly an affordable hostal available anymore for that night...

Have you looked into Capitan Tximista? It's a private alberque that's 4km down the trail heading for San Sebastian. They take reservations. When I stayed there last week at the start of my camino I definitely met other pilgrims.

An added advantage is that staying there shortens the next days walk to San Sebastian. It cost 19E including breakfast.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you looked into Capitan Tximista? It's a private alberque that's 4km down the trail heading for San Sebastian. They take reservations. When I stayed there last week at the start of my camino I definitely met other pilgrims.

An added advantage is that staying there shortens the next days walk to San Sebastian. It cost 19E including breakfast.
Thanks for the tip! I just checked it and it's already completo on the night of the 4th to the 5th of July. That's the thing that is worrying me a bit. So many places seem to be fully booked so many weeks ahead...

I'll take the chance and will go to Irun without reservation. The albergue has 48 beds and they say they'll put air mattresses on the floor if full. If I can't sleep there I will have even more problems finding a bed in the next towns along the Norte. Then I'll just have to change my plans.

Not to be the voice of gloom and doom or anything, but at this point in time there are already nights on the Norte where the number of pilgrims exceeds the local capacity. I can't begin to imagine how things will look in June -August, based on the number of forum members that have indicated that's when they'll be traveling.

There are business opportunities out there for those who are so inclined.

Thanks for your post!
It's something i've been a bit worried about aswell-the nimber of free places in albergues. I'm travelling on a budget and hoping to be sleeping in them...

I think it will calm down a bit on the Primitivo, but still, walking and knowing that it is a race for bed, just adds some stress that shouldn't be there..
I already imagine myself wanting to enjoy the view by the coast, but secretly counting the pilgrims walking past me and checking the number of places from the wise guidebook, just to know if i should get back on the road or i have time for some extra seconds of peace and beauty for the eye.. :D :D

In the busy times it would be advisable to try to book friday and saturday a few days in advance if you want to be sure. The locals often book hostels for the weekends. Alternatively you could avoid bigger cities in the weekends. Assume that you have your options also known from www.gronze.com . Also I experienced that some of the new ones are not yet mentioned. Bon camino

Apart from the advise to travel light, I always take a 'knee band' with me for just the little extra support (especially steep downhills!). Forget about the dog repellent, the few ones are used to peregrinos.
Bon camino!

Not to be the voice of gloom and doom or anything, but at this point in time there are already nights on the Norte where the number of pilgrims exceeds the local capacity. I can't begin to imagine how things will look in June -August, based on the number of forum members that have indicated that's when they'll be traveling.
We'll see. I keep my fingers crossed that walking out of Irun in the middle of the week might help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found hostels in Bidart and Hondarribia, with a ferry from Hendaye to Hondarribia at the Marina.

We're arriving at the end of June on a Friday night. Finish work, fly to Spain , bus to Irun. I'll gladly hop on a mattress if that's all they have. I really hate the idea of reserving beds, which can't be done with Irun municipal anyway. I heard so many scary stories about no beds etc on last years Portuguese Camino but rolled with it and it was all fine.

Arriving late after travelling all day with international flights, I think it would be a fair poor start for a municipal albergue to turn us away completely. I'm sure it will be fine. Usually they will call around and find a wee spot for us ithey are full, in my experience. People tend to be very helpful. Worst goes to worst we'll take a cab up to the next albergues, then head back in to start the next morning.

Racing for beds kills Camino spirit. It hate it more than bed bug talk.

We're arriving at the end of June on a Friday night.

I would go to the Municipal Albergue if they don't have a bed, you could get info about the albergue's ahead and route info that they provide, then you can walk over to the Hondarriba hostel it puts you in a great location to start the Camino along the coast for the first half of that leg.

Buen Camino

that's the plan. 4km out..... between them I'm sure they can find a spot on the floor for two pilgrims. Someone will find a place for us, they always do.

No problem Luka. Lift off from Saturday next!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So excited for you! Are you doing a blog? I would love to follow along . . .

@poogeyejr Usually I am, but always in Dutch, so my mom can read it. This time I will hardly blog. I have no tablet anymore to write on. Instead I'll post a Camino photo every day on twitter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Deepforest how are you doing? Going well, so far? I am curious about the crowdedness of the Irun albergue. I'll arrive there Tuesday evening and it is the first time I didn't book my first night.

According to the June statistics there must have been an average of 77 pilgrims a day in June, with most likely more people towards the end of June and in the weekends. Quite a bit more pilgrims than beds... No idea how many pilgrims will start their Camino in San Sebastian or Bilbao though.

Edit: just looked it up, 788 pilgrims started in Irun in June. That makes an average of 26 a day. Totally different number.

Last edited:
Correction: I forgot to count the pilgrims who started before Irun:

Francia - C.N : 77
Baiona/Bayonne: 243 (I assume they continue on the Norte)
Hendaya : 47 (the French, I guess ;))
Irun: 788

So that makes a total of 1155 pilgrims in Irun in June. Which is 39 a day. No idea about July yet, but that number will certainly increase.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am in San Sebastian now. Just had a very beautiful first stage from Irún! No problems finding a bed so far, but I started out in the middle of the week.

Comparing the Primitivo last June with the second half of the Norte this June, my distinct impression is that the Norte west of Gijon is much less "crowded" than the Primitivo. I'm referring here maybe not to absolute numbers but rather to how much space there was in albergues.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have not been on the Primitivo, but the drop in numbers on the Norte after the turnoff at Sebrayo was really noticeable. After that we saw hardly any other pilgrims. In a couple of places there were only a couple of people in albergues. So I would not be surprised.

I have not been on the Primitivo, but the drop in numbers on the Norte after the turnoff at Sebrayo was really noticeable. After that we saw hardly any other pilgrims. In a couple of places there were only a couple of people in albergues. So I would not be surprised.
I think that probably at least half of the people starting in Irun turn left at Villaviciosa for the Primitivo. When you add to that the number of people starting in Oviedo, that's a lot of pilgrims.

Hey everyone, just finished my 15th day on the Norte, staying in Celorio.

After Bilbao it got much more crowded. For exemple, in Pobena i slept in a park with some other fellow pilgrims. Although we were in the town at 11 in the morning, we didn't want to line up behind the albergues door 4h before the opening time - waste of time when there is a beautiful beach you could be enjoying.

A couple of days ago we were walking to San Vicente de la Barquera, had already walked 30km, got there 30 minutes after opening time, the hospitalero said it was full (she actually didn't know how many beds she had left).
We were about to go to Serdio, but that was full aswell(contacted a pilgrim who was ahead of us). We still went to Serdio, so a 38km day, got some beds at the hospitaleros own house..

Overall i have booked just for a couple of nights, just because there were 5 of us.
I would recommend to avoid following the stages proposed by guidebooks.

I recommend staying in Caborredondo (after santillana del mar)-a really nice place !

And there are some albergues on the way that are not in books or on websites yet.
For exemple in Buelna - albergue Santa Marina (before Pendueles).

Loving the experience!

Buen Camino !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From the sound of things, the Camino del Norte in June is a totally different animal than in July. I finished in early July and there was no need for reservations till Arzua and O Pedrouzo. Not only does it look like the numbers of pilgrims is increasing dramatically on the Norte, but the numbers of tourists will be going up too as we get further into summer. That will have an impact on the availability (and price) of non-albergue lodging.

Buen camino to all, and if you are feeling adventurous, I would HIGHLY recommend the off-Camino coastal paths. Not only do you avoid pounding the asphalt as the Camino takes you along the highway, but the scenery is absolutely spectacular.

Hi from Pobeña! At this moment the last pilgrims found a bed here. It seems full now, but there are still some empty tents in the backyard. So today it is not as crowded as Getter described. But the hospitalero said it is completo almost every night.

The numbers seem to go up after Bilbao indeed, while the numbers of beds go down. The albergue in Castro Urdiales is small and the one in Islares closed. No idea where everyone is going to sleep tomorrow. I myself booked a pension for 45 euro, so a lot higher than Laurie payed.

Laurie, do you have to follow the GR-signs for the coastal paths?

Hi from Pobeña! At this moment the last pilgrims found a bed here. It seems full now, but there are still some empty tents in the backyard. So today it is not as crowded as Getter described. But the hospitalero said it is completo almost every night.

The numbers seem to go up after Bilbao indeed, while the numbers of beds go down. The albergue in Castro Urdiales is small and the one in Islares closed. No idea where everyone is going to sleep tomorrow. I myself booked a pension for 45 euro, so a lot higher than Laurie payed.

Laurie, do you have to follow the GR-signs for the coastal paths?

Hi, Luka,
Unfortunately, at least as I remember it, there are no markings from the Camino to most of these coastal paths. If I hadn't had my GPS, I wouldn't have found them. Sometimes it involved taking a small road to a RR crossing and then to the coast, and others it just involved a quick detour off Camino. The one that is probably the easiest to get to is after Colombres, on your way into Llanes. You can either go straight in La Franca, as I did (following my GPS) or, As Wise Pilgrim has told me, wait till you are on the side of the national highway, and keep an eye out for a small path that goes over the RR tracks and then walk out to the coast. Once you are on the coast here, you will have no trouble. And it is one of the best.

The other easy one to follow is the one leaving Santander. Dave describes it in his forum updates, that was beautiful, into Boo.

I will try to get everything sorted out with links to tracks and better descriptions, but I'm afraid that won't happen till long after you're done. There are some wonderful new albergues coming up for you, Luka, which I posted about on my "live from the norte" thread. Maybe those will not be on everyone's radar screen yet.

€60,-
Our (2 peregrinos) first overnight stage of the camino is in Castro Urdiales at the start of next week... It'd be great to have an update on the accommodation status in the albuerge there.

Aaron, I am in Castro Urdiales now, but haven't seen the albergue. It is a bit out of town and I am staying in a pension. But it is very small (16-20 beds). Impossible to accomodate the number of pilgrims I have seen on the road. The next one is 10km further, in Pontarrón. Same size. I would book a hostal or pension in Castro Urdiales if I were you...

Laurie, thanks again! I will certainly go for the ones after Colombres and Santandér! Too much roadwalking the first 2 days out of Bilbao... Will check out the new albergues too!

Thanks for the heads up Luka - all part of the journey I suppose!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I was in Castro Urdiales in June, I walked out to see the albergue in the afternoon. The hospitalero told me they put a bunch of tents up in the back when the numbers increase. That would put a lot of pressure on the bathroom facilities, but at least more people will have a place to sleep.

The number of beds go up and down. In Guëmes for example, there are 70 to 100 beds. So it doesn't mean you would have to stay in hostales all the time. But since you are with the two of you (which makes booking a room cheaper) and it's your first night, I wouldn't take the risk.

I took a coastal route today! From El Pontarrón to Laredo. The views were stunning and I really enjoyed being off-road again, but it was a very steep climb and descent. The lemonade I got from the nuns was the best I had this year ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took a coastal route today! From El Pontarrón to Laredo. The views were stunning and I really enjoyed being off-road again, but it was a very steep climb and descent. The lemonade I got from the nuns was the best I had this year ;-)

Luka, if by any chance your memory is better than mine, can you add any detail to this? This is the stage where the camino takes you from Liendo up to the Ermita San Julián and then along the coast to Laredo. It seems like you may have gotten to the coast earlier than that point. Do you remember if from El Pontarrón you went right to a beach (my map shows one called Oriñón) because you may have been on the coast for a few kms before San Julián, and that would be a good option to know about! Can't believe you are already in Laredo! Buen camino, Laurie

A quick post from the Camino, i don't know if someone has mentioned it, but i just wanted to say, if you're planning to stay in Villaviciosa..walk a couple of km further to Amandi. Great donativo albergue (La Ferraria), they cook dinner and offer breakfast and do your laundry (if you get there before 17h).
And make a reservation by phone the evening before or the same morning, they only have 12 beds but it's worth it. It's one of the albergues with the camino spirit.

Luka, if by any chance your memory is better than mine, can you add any detail to this? This is the stage where the camino takes you from Liendo up to the Ermita San Julián and then along the coast to Laredo. It seems like you may have gotten to the coast earlier than that point. Do you remember if from El Pontarrón you went right to a beach (my map shows one called Oriñón) because you may have been on the coast for a few kms before San Julián, and that would be a good option to know about! Can't believe you are already in Laredo! Buen camino, Laurie
You need to pass the split to Liendo and stay on the N634 till El Pontarrón (there is a bar). After the bar on a roundabout you take a stoney dirthpath to your right which goes underneath the A8 (high up above you). There is a split a bit further on, take the right path. That path leads you to Oriñón. You follow the carretera after Oriñón (quiet road with a green painted footpath on the right). That will take you to the beach. Before the beach there is a small path going up on the mountain on your left with a sign: Laredo 9km, 3.15h. Just follow that (steep!) path until you have climbed about 200 meters. The views from the top are stunning! Then just keep on following that path and go (steep) down on the other side. There are painted markers on rocks. After that mountain the path meanders on (with permanent seaviews) until la érmita de San Julián where you'll join the Camino again.

Can't believe it is going this fast either. Tomorrow already in Santandér...

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You need to pass the split to Liendo and stay on the N634 till El Pontarrón (there is a bar). After the bar on a roundabout you take a stoney dirthpath to your right which goes underneath the A8 (high up above you). There is a split a bit further on, take the right path. That path leads you to Oriñón. You follow the carretera after Oriñón (quiet road with a green painted footpath on the right). That will take you to the beach. Before the beach there is a small path going up on the mountain on your left with a sign: Laredo 9km, 3.15h. Just follow that (steep!) path until you have climbed about 200 meters. The views from the top are stunning! Then just keep on following that path and go (steep) down on the other side. There are painted markers on rocks. After that mountain the path meanders on (with permanent seaviews) until la érmita de San Julián where you'll join the Camino again.

Can't believe it is going this fast either. Tomorrow already in Santandér...

This is getting complicated. The only people who would be able to take this off-route option are the people who decided to stay on the National highway kafter Castro Urdiales rather than take the camino through Rioseco and La Magdalena into Liendo. Because if you follow the arrows, you will come on the Ermita San Julian from the west, not from the east. So this is a coastal option that emanates from the non-camino highway route from Castro Urdiales. o_O But I will try to figure out a clear way to explain it, thanks Luka!

Just a couple of other nice albergues I have seen on the way so far.
If anyone stops in Navia, the albergue is brand new and takes reservations. Really clean! The hospitalero is called Aurelio, a nice man.

I would strongly recommend you to stay in Maariz at the O Bisonta albergue, which is donativo, has 8 places, takes reservations, offers a dinner and a breakfast, does your laundry. One of my top3 albergues so far, might be even the best.. so, don't stay in Mondonedo, walk another 3km and you will not regret it.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back