• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte to primitivo August 2017 thoughts?

james walter purdum iv

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés sept 1, 2015
I'm good planning to walk from irun to the primitivo to Santiago then to finnester then to Fatima. Any thoughts suggestions timetables and advice would be appreciated: walked the Frances September 2015, but I know this is a more challenging trek to take on but I am excited

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nothing in particular for the Norte/Primitivo, other than checking for albergue availability on the Norte depending on the dates you will be walking. Eroski and Gronze will help you figure out stages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks I read July August were ideal months
I walked in April/May so I couldn't say about that, but one thing to keep in mind is 22-26 July 17 is the 50th anniversary of the Jazz Festival in San Sebastian...so rooms could be tight. At least when I walked some of the only albergue choices were youth hostals, which also might be busy in the summer...
this is my teeth clenched in envy emoticon :D:D:D

I walked in April/May so I couldn't say about that, but one thing to keep in mind is 22-26 July 17 is the 50th anniversary of the Jazz Festival in San Sebastian...so rooms could be tight. At least when I walked some of the only albergue choices were youth hostals, which also might be busy in the summer...
I start on August 1st so hopefully it will be back to normal

How was the up and down? Manageable? Obviously you came out of the other side

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How was the up and down? Manageable? Obviously you came out of the other side
I had just retired from the military and run marathons, including one that is done in a uniform with a military pack, so it didn't seem like a big problem...and I had already walked from SJPdP to Irache before I left to start the Norte so had a 'warm up'...but everyone is different. I also took rest days in several towns and had the perfect shoes and pack for me (probably the most important thing for anyone doing any camino as you know). Since I was walking in the spring, it seemed to me that of the few pilgrims I did see, half were below 30 and half above, at least one I met was in his 70s, and many more in 50's. So if we older folk can manage...but yes, there is a lot of up and down. I can recall thinking 'oh, come on, another one?'...I would take a picture of the mist shrouded foothills and snow capped mountains in the distance each morning, and email it to friends saying 'pretty in the morning light, until you realize you're going to go over them....again.'

there's also a fair amount of road walking, which I know because I can see it in the guide, but I don't recall it as prominent probably because the woods and beaches took my breath away. The only times I recall the road was when it had a narrow shoulder on a winding mountain, like some of the end approach to grandas, and you hope the cars see you. but...make sure your footwear feels good on pavement as well as dirt--the price we pay for outstanding food, and all the natural beauty we walk through when not on pavement.

I'm curious about your month timeline for that entire trip though...on the 17th day of walking I reached oviedo and in ten more reached SdC and in three more Finisterre --that would take up all of August without the trip to Fatima, and does not count the rest days I took in Bilbao, Oviedo, Lugo, and SdC, and the half days in a few others). And I was usually leaving most other walkers behind with my pace (not fast:eek:, just longer periods of walking). I don't know how many more days are needed to reach Fatima but that is looking like pretty long walking days, even if you never take a day off to see the sights (and I would recommend it in those cities, and half days in a couple more---there is soooo much beauty and history on the route you've chosen).

I started with the intention of doing the Norte / Primitivo combination, but after a couple of weeks realised I'd be returning to walk more Caminos, so decided rather than do part of one and part of another, to walk all the Norte and return to do the Primitivo.

So pleased I did and now am looking forward to next year's trip and the Primitivo!

Pete

I started with the intention of doing the Norte / Primitivo combination, but after a couple of weeks realised I'd be returning to walk more Caminos, so decided rather than do part of one and part of another, to walk all the Norte and return to do the Primitivo.

So pleased I did and now am looking forward to next year's trip and the Primitivo!

Pete
that was my only regret turning toward oviedo...I really enjoyed the Norte and was sad to leave it. How would you compare the second half to the first?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
that was my only regret turning toward oviedo...I really enjoyed the Norte and was sad to leave it. How would you compare the second half to the first?

Good question! It was certainly different. A lot of road walking, but after turning South West at Ribadeo, it became markedly quieter. Maybe we were lucky with our choices, but the albergues seemed better too. I enjoyed it very much (other than the ghastly section from Gijon to Aviles) but if I was only doing one camino, I'd have done the Primitivo in preference to the second half of the Norte, as there was too much road for my liking.

I had just retired from the military and run marathons, including one that is done in a uniform with a military pack, so it didn't seem like a big problem...and I had already walked from SJPdP to Irache before I left to start the Norte so had a 'warm up'...but everyone is different. I also took rest days in several towns and had the perfect shoes and pack for me (probably the most important thing for anyone doing any camino as you know). Since I was walking in the spring, it seemed to me that of the few pilgrims I did see, half were below 30 and half above, at least one I met was in his 70s, and many more in 50's. So if we older folk can manage...but yes, there is a lot of up and down. I can recall thinking 'oh, come on, another one?'...I would take a picture of the mist shrouded foothills and snow capped mountains in the distance each morning, and email it to friends saying 'pretty in the morning light, until you realize you're going to go over them....again.'

there's also a fair amount of road walking, which I know because I can see it in the guide, but I don't recall it as prominent probably because the woods and beaches took my breath away. The only times I recall the road was when it had a narrow shoulder on a winding mountain, like some of the end approach to grandas, and you hope the cars see you. but...make sure your footwear feels good on pavement as well as dirt--the price we pay for outstanding food, and all the natural beauty we walk through when not on pavement.

I'm curious about your month timeline for that entire trip though...on the 17th day of walking I reached oviedo and in ten more reached SdC and in three more Finisterre --that would take up all of August without the trip to Fatima, and does not count the rest days I took in Bilbao, Oviedo, Lugo, and SdC, and the half days in a few others). And I was usually leaving most other walkers behind with my pace (not fast:eek:, just longer periods of walking). I don't know how many more days are needed to reach Fatima but that is looking like pretty long walking days, even if you never take a day off to see the sights (and I would recommend it in those cities, and half days in a couple more---there is soooo much beauty and history on the route you've chosen).
I am starting on August 1 and ending on to finish in Fatima on October 15th. So I hope to have time for everything

I am starting on August 1 and ending on to finish in Fatima on October 15th. So I hope to have time for everything
I bet that will be very pretty that time of year, and perfect for the Norte where many albergues are only open in July and August. Have fun!:D:Dreally...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did you take the boat to Santander or do the 49km hike around?
I did the boat. I didn't meet anyone who walked around although I'm sure some do. Folks do with horses, I can't think of a reason I would. I walked the coastal variant to Loredo, from there my guide took me a bit inland a (if I recall correctly) but when I asked directions the gentleman walking his dog said I would reach the departure point for the boat by walking along the beach, which I did...the only tricky part was figuring out where to cross over the dunes so every so often I would walk up, poke my head up like a gopher to look around, then go back to the beach. I liked all the beach time during this stretch.
edit: continuing my tradition of getting lost, the boat makes an intermediate stop...I did not know this and almost disembarked...luckily one of the young men running the boat stopped me:oops:

Last edited:
Sweet ! I thought the decision was easy but us true pilgrims want to do what is necessary to do the real Camino but this is fair to me.. lol

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did the boat. I didn't meet anyone who walked around although I'm sure some do. Folks do with horses, I can't think of a reason I would. I walked the coastal variant to Loredo, from there my guide took me a bit inland a (if I recall correctly) but when I asked directions the gentleman walking his dog said I would reach the departure point for the boat by walking along the beach, which I did...the only tricky part was figuring out where to cross over the dunes so every so often I would walk up, poke my head up like a gopher to look around, then go back to the beach. I liked all the beach time during this stretch.
edit: continuing my tradition of getting lost, the boat makes an intermediate stop...I did not know this and almost disembarked...luckily one of the young men running the boat stopped me:oops:
How was walking on the sand? Is it firm?

How was walking on the sand? Is it firm?
like sand anywhere, firm only when walking on the edge of the water. usually I left my boots on while cutting over to the firm area. If taking a break/playing I'd change into my sandals, but I didn't have good enough support in those to want to walk long distances in them... but that could just be me. some of the beaches are rocky. sometimes you are walking along cliffs along the water.

Since I mentioned walking on sand, and detours from the signed route, I feel compelled to state the obvious--if walking on beaches it is wise to know high tide times, especially if there are cliffs or seawalls. these photos I took at the beach at Zarautz. I had a rest day there (because of needing to pick up a package--I forgot to list this with my rest days because it was an unplanned rest day), and was wandering around. I took some pictures of the beach below, and planned to come back to investigate how far I might be able to walk along it toward Getaria, rather than use the boardwalk. After mailing my package, I came back to find the tide, as they say, had turned...
safety first!

Attachments

• zarautz beach.JPG
    zarautz beach.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • the direction i should head.JPG
    the direction i should head.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • uh, ok.JPG
    uh, ok.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • back to the signed path.JPG
    back to the signed path.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sweet ! I thought the decision was easy but us true pilgrims want to do what is necessary to do the real Camino but this is fair to me.. lol
well, boats existed then, though not with motors:rolleyes:...there are two opportunities to take a boat on the norte if I recall, and I'm not sure there is an alternative for one of them (edit: there is, and it must be used in winter...bummer, cuts out a wonderful section of beach).
of course, it would have been a long walk across the Atlantic, and there were no flashlights, iPhones:eek:, tech clothing, or back packs then, either...but everyone has their own idea of what is right
there is another place on the Norte (there may be a fix to this by now) that led you to a choice--illegally (with a huge fine, and not small danger to self) walk on the train bridge, walk several km out of the way to reach a foot bridge, or take the train through this short distance over the bridge. some chose the train (which didn't exist), some chose to illegally use a train bridge (which didn't exist), some walk a few extra km. Some of the 'traditional' road is now asphalt, while the alternative is forests or beaches. There were also three times I was unofficially re-routed off of the 'way' because roads or bridges were closed, which required me to find my own way (with horribly accented Spanish) and cover lots of extra km...I figured it all evened out.;)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back