• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte to Primitivo

ritopaxi

hello there,

i arrive at Asturias airport next sunday and will be doing the camino Primitivo, but i haven't decided how to get there. i thought about walking a bit on the camino del norte and making the link between the 2 caminos all on foot

can you recommend a route?

walking from avilés to villaviciosa? and then to oviedo and on?

or?

thank you for the help :)

and buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hay una etapa que va desde Oviedo hasta Avilés. La puedes hacer a la inversa y así llegas a Oviedo.

Otra opción, aunque menos atractiva, sería ir caminando desde el aeropuerto hasta Grado o Cornellana, localidades por donde pasa el Camino Primitivo. Desde el aeropuerto apenas hay un kilómetro hasta el Camino del Norte. Una vez en él, caminarías hasta Soto del Barco, y una vez allí, cogerías la carretera que va a Pravia, y desde allí a una de las dos localidades que puse más arriba. Salen un poco menos de 30 kilómetros. Lo malo es que no empezarías el camino en Oviedo.

There is a stage that goes from Oviedo to Avilés. You can do it in reverse and so you get to Oviedo.

Another option, although less attractive, would be to walk from the airport to Grao or Cornellana, localities through which the Camino Primitivo. From the airport there is hardly a mile to the Camino del Norte. Once there, you would walk up to Soto del Barco, and once there, the road'd fuck Pravia, and from there to one of the two locations that I put above. They come out a little less than 30 kilometers. The downside is that it would start the way in Oviedo.

gracias por tu respuesta!

así q entre Avilés y Oviedo en el norte se camina mucho en autopista ?? ...

también puedo ir en autobús de Avilés a Villaviciosa o Oviedo y empezar ahí

q te parece esa opción?

gracias!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Angulero, just sent you a PM
Saludos :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry we haven't walked that bit. The bus from the airport to Oviedo would be our only thought, but you say that you want to walk it. Is there an ALSA bus to Villaviciosa from either the airport or Avilés?and then start walking. We think that the Norte virtually passes the airport and you could try 'backtracking' it to Oviedo. If you have the CSJ guide you might be able to work it out.
Buen Camino

Just to connect this post with the same post on the Primitivo section, camino-primitivo/topic19695.html

and to follow up on Tia's excellent suggestion that you look at Gronze. You'll see they don't even show a Camino between Oviedo and Aviles, which might be another indication that it's not going to be well-marked. So that's one more data point that weighs in favor of walking Villaviciosa to Oviedo, or just taking the bus from the airport into Oviedo and starting there.

Buen camino, Laurie

thank you so much for your help!!!

i think i'll go to gijon to get a credencial and take a bus to villaviciosa and start walking south the next day ** will be sure to go to valdediós church :) and then on to oviedo and taking the Primitivo until it meets el Francês

:)

i have one question for you all - for you, what is it that makes the Primitivo more appealing than the camino Norte?

thanks for all the support!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, ritopaxi, Buen camino to you, can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

I have walked the entire Norte as well as the Primitivo, and though the Norte is beautiful, for me there is a much stronger "camino feeling" on the Primitivo. This is perhaps because the Norte goes through so many tourist beach towns, all beautiful and many have interesting old churches, plazas, etc, but in August it is prime vacation time, so expect the Norte towns to be jammed. The primitivo goes through towns that may be of the same size as many on the norte (Salas, Tineo, Grandas, etc, are all towns with basic services) but have little or no tourist trade, so they feel more "real" if that makes sense.

There are also some wonderful albergues on the Primitivo -- San Juan de Villapanada and Bodenaya are just terrific. True, the Norte has its share of great albergues as well, with a shoutout to Miraz, but I just felt more in my element on the Primitivo. Lugo is a very nice city, walk the roman walls for sure. And if you think the chance to see 3rd century Roman wall paintings in a crypt is worth a few extra kms, take the detour (not on a Monday, though) to Santa Eulalia de Boveda about 11 kms after Lugo. After visiting the paintings, the caretaker can put you on a path that will take you to the hamlet of Bacurin, where you will rejoin the Primitivo on a path near the beautiful little romanesque church.

I have walked the Primitivo twice now and I am sure I will be back again. Buen camino, enjoy every minute! Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back