Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte to Primitivo

ritopaxi

hello there,

i arrive at Asturias airport next sunday and will be doing the camino Primitivo, but i haven't decided how to get there. i thought about walking a bit on the camino del norte and making the link between the 2 caminos all on foot

can you recommend a route?

walking from avilés to villaviciosa? and then to oviedo and on?

or?

thank you for the help :)

and buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi ritopaxi,

Great decision! I think it just depends on how much time you have for the walk. I have walked from Villaviciosa, down to Oviedo, then back up to Aviles, so I can give you a little information.

When I walked the Norte in 2006 (?), my friend and I decided we wanted to stay on the Norte all the way to Santiago. At the same time, though, I LOVE Oviedo, so I convinced her that we should "dip down" to Oviedo and then go back up to continue the Norte in Aviles. This means that I haven't walked between Aviles and Villaviciosa, only the other two legs of the triangle.

Oviedo to Aviles was, at that time, very poorly marked. I would have to go back to my journal to see the exact problem spots, but we had a very hard time and wound up walking many kms on the side of a dangerous national highway. I don't know if things have changed.

Villaviciosa to Oviedo is a very nice walk, especially if you decide to walk to the church of Valdedios, another pre-romanesque Asturian jewel (I realize I've been on a pre-romanesque soapbox lately, sorry, but here is another picture or two to show you what it's like)
[attachment=1]valdediosvalley.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Valdedios.jpg[/attachment]

There is an albergue now in Pola de Siero, I believe and maybe one other place between Valdedios and Oviedo.

I have been told that the part of the norte between Villaviciosa and Aviles right along the coast goes through some pretty bad industrial sections. From Oviedo to Aviles, you avoid that segment.

Based on the conditions when I walked, I'd say the best option is to take public transportation to Villaviciosa and walk from there. Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• valdediosvalley.jpg
    valdediosvalley.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 388
  • Valdedios.jpg
    Valdedios.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 389
Hola

Yes. Thats the way to walk it.
There are plenty of sceneries and will give a a little of both Caminos.
Actually three, as you join the Frances as well.
Have a great time.

Buen Camino
lettinggo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thank you so much for the help!

I got a text from a friend who will be walking slow so that I can catch up... but I still don't feel like missing out on the villaviciosa to Oviedo stretch :) it's a really nice bit isn't it?

oh, I can't wait to be back in the camino !!

The Gijon-Aviles track is very industrial. Both cities are worth a visit though.

I have walked Oviedo to Aviles once, it's about 30km. I walked starting out to the south of Naranco, walking up to Escamplero, and then it's really walking on the road to Aviles. There is not a lot of traffic until you get to Aviles. Unfortunately, the whole track I walked is asphalted. I should have the actual GPS coordinates somewhere still.

Hi, ritopaxi,
I've seen anglulero's comments on what seems to be a duplicate thread of this posting: el-camino-del-norte/topic19692.html

Here's what I can add to what s/he told you:

Though Gronze lists Sebrayo as the starting point of the stage, I'd just start in Villaviciosa. I don't think that those 6 kms from Sebrayo to Villaviciosa have any un-missable points. That would make Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero a very do-able 24, which would allow a short detour (down and up 300-400 m I think) to the church at Valdedios if you were so inclined.

From my 2007 notes, Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero is all asphalt, but nothing busy. There is an albergue in Vega, about 9 kms before Pola de Siero, but there is apparently a new albergue in Pola that is very nice. From POla to Oviedo is only 17 kms, again almost all asphalt but only one highway spot.

Oviedo to Aviles (28 kms, which you would be doing in reverse) is where we lost the camino. My notes tell me that it was in La Posada de Llanera where no one could tell us anything about the camino and we just stayed for 17 kms alongside the national highway north to Aviles. Not a nice walk.

So if your choice is Aviles to Oviedo or Villaviciosa to Oviedo, I think the latter route is much more pleasant, though both are nearly all asphalt. Starting in Villaviciosa will take you two days, whereas you can walk Aviles to Oviedo in one but unless the camino has been well marked it could be a very unpleasant walk on the highway.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. in your note to Angulero you asked about walking on the autopista. Don't worry, you can't walk on the autopista, it's strictly prohibited the worst you will find is walking alongside the national highways.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back