• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte vs Frances for an autumn walk

Peakseeker

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino del Norte this autumn
My plan is to start the Norte at the very end of September. This route appeals to me cause I'm a sea lover and I'm wanting to visit a lot of the towns that it passes through....HOWEVER reading over this forum recently I've become slightly worried over the amount of asphalt walking as well as the potential for a lot of rainy days. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Norte as planned but at the same time I do wonder, if for nothing else but the time of year alone, I'd be smarter to go with the Frances. This is also my first walk.
Anyone who has walked the norte during october and november, I would love love love to hear from you.

Peace y'all :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The caminos aren't too far apart distance-wise (e.g. San Sebastian is only around 80km from Pamplona) so in terms of temperature there's not too much difference, although as you know it can rain a lot more along the coast. I walked in October last year and there was a lot of rain, but we still had a great time.

I've done the Norte a few times and "road walking" isn't the first thing that springs to mind. I guess it depends on your expectations: some people expect a hiking trail, when actually it's a pilgrimage (i.e. comfort wasn't necessarily a priority when the local authorities planned the routes) and for a lot of the time you'll be walking along secondary roads. You'll also have to walk through quite a few urban and industrial areas, for example in and out of cities like Bilbao, Santander, and Gijon. However there are also gloriously rural bits in between, and in some sections you can take the GR-E9 path that runs close to the shore.

I think the biggest 'surprise' for those who have walked the Frances, is how few pilgrims there are. In October last year, we hardly saw another pilgrim during the day. The north coast is a popular destination in its own right, so the 'pilgrim experience' is very diluted; you certainly don't feel 'special' as a pilgrim. However if you just enjoy walking, and want to explore the wonderful culture and scenery of the north coast of Spain on foot, then you can't go wrong.

I would also recommend the Norte, I walked the first half of it in June this year and in my opinion there is not that much asphalt. There is alot of off road walking through forest trails and walking on beaches. I find it much easier to walk on asphalt than on the wide stony paths which you will find alot of on the Frances. Also, for scenery and amazing food the Norte gets my vote.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Norte 2 years ago starting in Irun September 23.
The weather was absolutely amazing - to my surprise! I carried a lot of wet weather gear and only got my poncho out once!
You can minimise the road walking by looking out for options along the way. Check Peregrina2000's thread regarding this.

buen camino

Starting the end of September might be a good idea. I started in Irun Sept 3 and found the Norte to be very busy. Every albergue has posted completo within an hours of opening. A bit of a bed race going on which I thought wouldn't happen on the Norte. Looks like everyone else thought the same. None the less it is beautiful, challenging, and rewarding. I spent an extra day in Bilbao hoping maybe I was just in a grouping and perhaps there are fewer people following. I'll soon find out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I have stated many times you never know what the weather will be so don’t worry about it. I walked the CC twice and had extreme differences at the same time of the year in the same places. Walked the CP and the weather did t change the whole month. Sunny all day, cool every morning and hot every afternoon. Starting the Camino Norte Monday in Irún and checked the weather a few times and have had different for asts ecery time. Remember that you will one. Dry important lesson very soon. Pilgrims walk. That is what you live for as a Peregrino. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked the norte in June last time. Only light rain over the mountains before Bilbao. Poncho was sufficient. This time I am starting Sept 29th hoping for a cooler and less crowded walk. Go for the Norte. I might see you on the way... Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.