• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte - Walking in the early Fall?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, '12; Frances, '14; Port, '15; Frances, Norte, Fisterre, '16; Ingles, Fisterre/Muxia '17
I am trying to get a sense of how many people will be walking on the Norte in early Sept/Oct this year. I have walked the Frances 2 times with friends and once on my own in Oct/Nov when it was not crowded. I was familiar with the trail so I didn't have a problem with some solitude, but being a female alone on a new trail, I don't want to not see any other pilgrims. Also, how well marked is the trail - finding the arrows is a bit harder with only one set of eyes! Thanks for any input.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am trying to get a sense of how many people will be walking on the Norte in early Sept/Oct this year. I have walked the Frances 2 times with friends and once on my own in Oct/Nov when it was not crowded. I was familiar with the trail so I didn't have a problem with some solitude, but being a female alone on a new trail, I don't want to not see any other pilgrims. Also, how well marked is the trail - finding the arrows is a bit harder with only one set of eyes! Thanks for any input.

There are official camino statistics - scroll down to the bottom and you'll find some 2,200 for the Norte in September 2015 and some 1,200 in October
http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrims-office/statistics/?anio=2015&mes=10

Though the markings are pretty comprehensive I'd still buy a guide (such as Northern Caminos) as there are quite a few alternative paths along the way

Signage for the portion Irún-Bilbao is great. I walked this girst part in October of last year and assume that will not be alone. I walked witj Camino friends nut we always saw others. Personally I would have no problem doing this route alone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Norte via Primitivo in June. Not too many people, enough to keep company in the evening. I would guess October would be similar. I hear traffic has increased on the Norte this year.
The trails are well marked. Along the coast, it is difficult to miss the direction. All you have to do is keep the ocean to your right. Got lost twice on the primitivo because i mis-read some signs.

There are official camino statistics - scroll down to the bottom and you'll find some 2,200 for the Norte in September 2015 and some 1,200 in October

Though the markings are pretty comprehensive I'd still buy a guide (such as Northern Caminos) as there are quite a few alternative paths along the way
Thanks, Spurs fan (as in San Antonio???) I do have the Northern Caminos guide - it does not seem quite as simple to follow as the Brierly guides for Frances & Portuguese.

I walked from Bilbao to Gijon or Xixon, in September last year. It was busy. The first albergue was full and had tents in the backyard and when they were full were sending people to sleep in the church. So the north way is getting busy, and the albergue supply has not caught up to demand. many pilgrims are walking with small tents in case. I love the Camino Norte by the way, and will do some more next year. Aussie Susana of Casa Susana, Vilacha on Camino Frances, near Portomarin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, I'm a London Spur (I've been watching Spurs since before the San Antonio ones were even founded in 1967) - and what I really meant was that there are lots and lots of yellow arrows along the way (so much so that if you haven't seen one for a few minutes take stock)

The most important thing to remember about the Camino Norte is the relatively new A8 that accompanies the Norte pretty much all the way to Baamonde - this can be a pain to cross at times but it's main benefit is that the N634 and their ilk that run close by are relatively quiet and can be walked along with care (always face traffic and always be prepared to jump in the gutter if needed) - so there are times when the road option can shave a few kms off the camino path - but the guide details the times when there are alternatives

Other things to be careful about are having enough liquid (in early September it can be above 30C) especially in some of the more remote stages, the related problem that very few shops are open on Sundays (OpenCor supermarkets in Bilbao and Gijon are lifesavers - but also petrol stations have small shops) and finally that the early stages from Irun have popular coastal resorts and so accomodation can be scarce at times - but don't be put off - the relative solitude and scenery of the Norte are really wonderful

... how well marked is the trail - finding the arrows is a bit harder with only one set of eyes!

Best way to not get lost is to team up, or otherwise, consult with a German who carries an excellent German guide book. The alternate paths that can be walked will be worth it.
I walked last September / October, and with a few others, always found a places to stay. I'll be walking it again same time this year, but this time with a guide book.

Thanks - I have the Northern Caminos guide book but will be on the lookout for someone with a different one! I will probably be leaving Bilbao about Sept 9 - when are you walking?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
.... I will probably be leaving Bilbao about Sept 9 - when are you walking?

You'll probably be ahead of me by several days. I'm hoping to arrive in Irun on the evening of the 6th, and will start walking the next day. Without checking with my guide book, I seem to remember that Bilbao is more than a weeks walk from Irun. You'll miss all the fun challenges of the first few days of the del Norte :-/

Signage for the portion Irún-Bilbao is great...... .

Signage is great when it's there, but not so, when it's not. I got lost last year on the second day out from Irun because a junction of paths wasn't clearly marked, and because I opted to keep to the right, closer to the sea, I ended up walking the European path, which was far more rugged and physically challenging, than any other part of the del Norte. Even a couple of Spaniards I bumped into on one pathway were lost too, and they had GPS devices. I didn't meet up again with the Camino until just before Zarautz. This year, I have a guide book with maps, so it'll be much easier.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.