• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte warning

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
I am walking the Norte from Bilbao beginning 13 May. I am attending the European Rugby Cup for 2 days before I begin my Camino. I had booked an AirBnB for 3 nights during the Championship which was cancelled today by the owner for no other reason than he can rent the room for more. The room rates in Bilbao for that weekend are outrageous. So my warning is to stay clear of Bilbao between 10 to 12, I dare you to find a hostel.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We'll be arriving in Bilbao the 12th of may. Will staying in one of the albergues be a problem? Both as a result of the crowdedness as of the fact that we haven't walked yet and won't have any stamps in our credencials

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I hope you give the AirBnB people a horrible review, they deserve it.

I don't know whether to believe this or not, but the AirBnB customer service people told me they were going to delist the owner and he will not be able to rent thru them. I sent the owner a expletive comment on his site.
I found another reasonably priced hotel in Laredo which is an hour away by bus.

We'll be arriving in Bilbao the 12th of may. Will staying in one of the albergues be a problem? Both as a result of the crowdedness as of the fact that we haven't walked yet and won't have any stamps in our credencials
Regarding staying at an albergue, I would definitely check on availability because I know that albergues in Pamplona have opened their doors to San Fermin attendees at the expense of pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I thought "regular" albergues did not allow making reservations. I'll check out the possibilities

I emailed an albergue (Claret Ends) and they answered that it is not possible to make reservations. They did not expect there would be a problem getting a bed there on may 12

If you are in Bilbao on the 12th and cannot find a bed, go to a church. It may not be a comfortable night but it will be dry. See what the Camino will provide.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am walking the Norte from Bilbao beginning 13 May. I am attending the European Rugby Cup for 2 days before I begin my Camino. I had booked an AirBnB for 3 nights during the Championship which was cancelled today by the owner for no other reason than he can rent the room for more. The room rates in Bilbao for that weekend are outrageous. So my warning is to stay clear of Bilbao between 10 to 12, I dare you to find a hostel.

I'm going to the match as well but staying in Santander then walking from Oveido

I am a sad ManU fan, it has not been a good season for the Red Devils.
I was a Biarritz rugby fan, then we got relegated to D2 after the "fusion" with Bayonne in 2015. I can still say, "AUPO BO" and get respect in Bilbao because we are both BO's. Robert Rabagny, the mascot for BO known as Geronimo is a great friend of mine.
Who do you support between the Scarlets, Munster, Racing 92 and Leinster?

I am a sad ManU fan, it has not been a good season for the Red Devils.
I was a Biarritz rugby fan, then we got relegated to D2 after the "fusion" with Bayonne in 2015. I can still say, "AUPO BO" and get respect in Bilbao because we are both BO's. Robert Rabagny, the mascot for BO known as Geronimo is a great friend of mine.
Who do you support between the Scarlets, Munster, Racing 92 and Leinster?

I go to the European rugby final each year as a neutral (unless Saracens are playing) - but I've also visited Toulouse many times and watched rugby matches there - next year the final will be in Newcastle (more convenient but less glamorous)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, the stadium in Bilbao is lovely and it has helped regenerated the St. Mames neighborhood.

I'm sorry, what championship weekend? I'll arrive in Bilbao on May 8 and have booked a hostel for 2 nights before I start my walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.