• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

North from Tarifa

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
Spent last night in Europe's most southerly place, and set off in the dark at 8am today, with lights from Morocco visible across the straits. And my breakfast included a tangerine, certainly the first and probably the last time I'll eat one in sight of its native land. The first 10km or so were delightful, along the coast following the Camino Estrecho in reverse, with many secluded inlets, in one of which I had a pleasant swim, fortunately with nobody to see the unshaved figure emerging from the dawn sea. Next time I swim in salt water, if all goes to plan, in early December, I will have a full beard and weigh 5-10kg less than now, on past performance.

By noon the slightly hazy cloud had thinned and I was able to see the Rif mountains. Moving inland, there was also a point where Gibraltar was visible - presumably the only place on earth where Africa and part of the UK European parliamentary constituency of South West England and Gibraltar can be seen at the same time.

Not sure I terribly liked Tarifa - quite a lot of beach bums, most of whom seemed to lack the charm Steinbeck gave to Mack and Hazel. But the tuna was delicious.

Having to take a day or two off to sort out a problem, but hoping to start the VĂ­a Serrana and continue northwards on Saturday or Sunday.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The walk along the cliffs and the geological formations of Tarifa cliffs as you see the whole strait are certainly something else.
Besides beach bums, I find Tarifa old narrow lanes and streets are a delightful place, I quite like it, I must say.

Buen and long camino, Alan, keep us posted!

Buen camino Alan, i'm glad you managed to get a flight sorted.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tarifa is a pretty town and historically important as the first place in Europe conquered by the Moors. I just feel I would have enjoyed it more when it was a fishing port before the wind surfers took it over. I'm looking forward to getting up into the hills and away from the mass tourism of the coast, and being routinely handed a menu in English.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen camino Alan! Also following your journey.

Wishing you a peaceful and safe Camino Alan with plenty of nice surprises along the way. I will be doing the very same route in Spring. Looking forward to reading more from you. Bien Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

A km or two after Jimena de La Frontera. We climbed it twice so you wouldn’t have to.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back