• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern Camino June/July questions

AFB_CF_2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie. Walking CN June/July 2018. ❤️
Hi everyone,

New to the community, although I have been doing lots of reading and researching this wonderful site. I’m walking the Northern Camino next summer mid June to end of July. I’m not sure how much rain to expect. I will bring a cover for my backpack and a lightweight rain jacket, but should I invest in waterproof hiking boots? Versus regular hiking boots. Maybe most boots are waterproof? I have no idea- going shopping for them soon.

I have looked at the weather trends, etc., but I’m curious to hear from people who have walked the northern Camino about what to expect.

Additionally, and unrelated, I’m bringing 2 to 3 pairs of the smart wool or darn tough socks, should I also be investing in sock liners? I’m not sure how much is overkill and how much is actually protection, although it will be warmer. The temperature and climate in the summer on the coast should be quite nice.

Thank you advance for your thoughts.

A

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can only answer your last question regarding the Darn Tough socks. People spend a lot of time on their footwear and forget that socks are as important as boots/shoes. For me the best socks on the market are Darn Tough and I wear these without any liners and touch wood haven't had a blister while wearing these socks.

N0w everyone is different in the kit they choose so for you liners might be the way to go as @falcon269 has said, make sure you footwear gives the extra room required.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear Wigwam socks and have not had blisters on 3 full Caminos. I don't know about sock liners. Maybe those who use them think they are their answer, but have they walked just in good socks only to know for sure they need the liners? Sounds like more washing and drying of extra socks that might not be needed. Test at home on some long training hikes first without liners to determine the necessity of bringing them. Everyone's feet and toes are different...just like our body shapes! :)

At that time of year the Norte temperatures are milder than the inland routes but the Atlantic does mean that there may be some rain. We walked the Norte in June / July this year and the weather was good with temps in mid to high 20's celcius when the Frances was mid to high 30's but we did have some rain.......it is all part of walking and we were happy with rain instead of heat.

In regards to waterproof boots, at some point all boots are susceptible to water Also, if they keep water out they may well keep sweat in ? Have used a number of different boots including leather and gortex........high cut and low cut and these days prefer low cut gortex hiking shoes like the Salomon because (for me) they are comfortable, lightweight, quick drying and durable. :)

I am walking the Norte for the first time in May and June. Is this the route you are questioning?
This will be my 8th Camino.
I can tell you because I live in the region the weather is so-so in May but gets better as the season changes.
I am a believer in silk liners and wool socks. I coat my feet in Vaseline every morning and change my socks whenever they become sweaty, normally mid morning and I do not walk more than 6 hours per day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't know if this will help you, because the weather on any seaside can be inpredictible.
I've walked the Del Norte in June/July 2016. Had very nice weather the whole time, with nice walking temperatures.

Also had some rain: 3 days of pouring rain all day long and some scattered showers on other days,
but most of the time: sun, sun, sun.

So I wouldn't worry about the weather too much. Just come prepared...

I live in a wet climate, but during the summer I were Altra trail runners while hiking with low-cut Darn Tough socks. My feet getting wet doesn't bother me in the summer. The shoes and socks dry out quickly. I wear one set of clothes and carry one set. I find no need for a 3 of any thing. washing out clothes each night works. Wear what your comfortable with . Try out your shoes first.

We walked the Caminos Norte and Primitivo mostly in June 2015 and 2016 to complete. We had some precipitation in the form of rain, but more often drizzle or fog. Wore trail runners and liner socks (only) for the most part. When we expect heavy rain conditions we bring waterproof socks. Wonderful route! Enjoy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The past 25 years, I walk on sandals, mostly TEVA's. I walked the camino 4 times. Twice the camino del Norte starting from Irun in end of April and starting in July. During the April/May walk, I had rain almost every day for atleast 2 - 3 weeks.
I never had blisters. It was surprising to me that walking all day with wet feet and wet sock did not give me blisters .mostly - in my opinion - because my feet stay cool. I have seen a lot of suffering and I then pity the people who wear those heavy boots.
The only disadvantage walking with sandals that I can see is that the profile of sandals are less suited on muddy hilly trails, especially due to my age (I am 81 now). Nevertheless, I will walk the camino in 2018 again with TEVA's, possibly the del Norte camino via the primitivo.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.