• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern Camino or Olvidado and Invierno?

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hi I'm arriving in Bilbao on Sunday (hopefully). I'm keen to get ideas about which Camino to walk. I have 5 weeks.

I would love to do the Olvidado / Invierno as never done those tracks, however unsure about albergues along that route at this time, and also wonder if it might be extremelty hot? Are there any online guide books for them?

Alternatively, the Norte which I love and have done before, but maybe more albergues (or maybe less accommodation with summer??) and lovely beaches. If anyone has any thoughts to help me decide please let me know. I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I'm arriving in Bilbao on Sunday (hopefully). I'm keen to get ideas about which Camino to walk. I have 5 weeks.

I would love to do the Olvidado / Invierno as never done those tracks, however unsure about albergues along that route at this time, and also wonder if it might be extremelty hot? Are there any online guide books for them?

Alternatively, the Norte which I love and have done before, but maybe more albergues (or maybe less accommodation with summer??) and lovely beaches. If anyone has any thoughts to help me decide please let me know. I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.
There's very good guidebook for Invierno posted here in the resources section. You won't need anything else.

If you can get on Facebook, take a look at this post. The author has laid out all his accommodations for an upcoming Olvidado. It is in Spanish, but the link to google brings you to his map with 22 accommodations indicated. This looks like a great resource, but be warned, the albergues are closed, so prices are higher than albergues.

For the Invierno, as Kinky says, take a look at the forum Invierno guide. The Invierno facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/manuelangel.raimundezblanco, doesn’t have as much information, but apparently the albergue in Villavieja, 16 km outside Ponferrada, is open. There are fewer albergues on the Invierno than the Olvidado, though.

As far as the decision between Norte and Olvidado/Invierno, I have read that there have been difficulties finding lodging on the Norte. This problem is only going to be intensified throughout August, which is prime vacation time. If the albergues are closed, pilgrims have to take private accommodations, but the Norte is typically awash with tourists during summer, so that makes prices high and availability low. That makes me think private accommodations will be more plentiful and cheaper on the Olvidado/Invierno, which probably doesn’t see the rush of tourists that the Norte towns do.

I don’t know about temperatures, but since so much of the Olvidado is in higher elevations, I would guess it’s a bit cooler than lower routes. But that’s a totally unscientific guess.

Good luck with this, let us know what happens! Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks both for your very helpful information. That's great. Hmmm lots to decide. I might also rethink the Frances, which I usually avoid in summer, but maybe more quiet this year and more albergues.

If you can get on Facebook, take a look at this post. The author has laid out all his accommodations for an upcoming Olvidado.
Thanks Peregrina, I've just worked out the list this guy is using, that's great, a real help.

Thanks both for your very helpful information. That's great. Hmmm lots to decide. I might also rethink the Frances, which I usually avoid in summer, but maybe more quiet this year and more albergues.

If I had the choice (which I don’t – you are sooooo blessed) I would jump at walking the CF right now, while it is so quiet . . . and albergues open along the way to stay at . . . . then walk the Norte again another year.

P.S. (re your other thread) I loved the walk from Bilbao to Portugalete. It was a Sunday and I really enjoyed seeing the industrial area on a quiet day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Or...if you are concerned about the accommodation on the Olvidado, how about walking the Frances to Ponferrada and then following the Invierno to Santiago? (Like Jill, I wish I had the conundrum you do. 🙃 )
Buen camino, whichever you choose!

Thanks Jill and VN, great advice.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.