Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern Caminos guidebook in Leon or Oviedo?

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
We're on the Camino Francés now, but we've just made a 'rapid fire' decision to switch to the Camino Primitivo. We'll arrive in Oviedo tomorrow and start walking on Tuesday.

Needless to say, my Cicerone guide is at home - does anyone know where we might pick one up in Oviedo or Leon? I've plenty of useful stuff on my phone, but we really like having a paper guide too.

I'm very excited about our change of plans - can't wait to start :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Nuala, Maybe Dave will see this question and be able to answer you, but I'll bet it's unlikely that you'll find the guide in either place.

Do you have ERoski's "Camino" app on your phone? It is in Spanish but has all the info you'll really need. And it's free. And maybe you've got Ebrandt's resource, which is a compilation of sources. Many people walked with only those pages and were fine. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

And of course you have your "phone a friend" option right here on the forum, since wifi is everywhere. :).

Enjoy the beautiful city of Oviedo. You may run into camino07 -- Heather is going to be in Pajares today on the Salvador (I think), so she'll get to Oviedo a few days after you, but you never know. She says the Salvador has a fair number of pilgrims, so my bet is that the Primitivo does too. Buen camino to you! Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are a pair of free spirits! ;)
Have a wonderful time.
Can't help you with a book I'm afraid.
Buen Camino
Tim
Thanks for the good wishes Tim! We'll manage fine without a book if we need to. The CF is a wonderful Camino, but it's a little too busy for us at the moment.

Hi, Nuala, Maybe Dave will see this question and be able to answer you, but I'll bet it's unlikely that you'll find the guide in either place.

Do you have ERoski's "Camino" app on your phone? It is in Spanish but has all the info you'll really need. And it's free. And maybe you've got Ebrandt's resource, which is a compilation of sources. Many people walked with only those pages and were fine. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

And of course you have your "phone a friend" option right here on the forum, since wifi is everywhere. :).

Enjoy the beautiful city of Oviedo. You may run into camino07 -- Heather is going to be in Pajares today on the Salvador (I think), so she'll get to Oviedo a few days after you, but you never know. She says the Salvador has a fair number of pilgrims, so my bet is that the Primitivo does too. Buen camino to you! Laurie

Thank you Laurie! I figured that might be the case re. the book. I will put the Eroski app on my phone - I used that site a lot on the Baztan.

I did quite a bit of research on the Primitivo earlier this year (our ever-changing Camino plans) so I'm feeling really positive and confident about it. I may of course use the 'phone a friend' option as things progress!

Thank you Laurie! I figured that might be the case re. the book. I will put the Eroski app on my phone - I used that site a lot on the Baztan.

I did quite a bit of research on the Primitivo earlier this year (our ever-changing Camino plans) so I'm feeling really positive and confident about it. I may of course use the 'phone a friend' option as things progress!

Hi, Nuala,

I look forward to hearing all about it. My first Primitivo was in late Setember/early October and it was magical. Enjoy Oviedo -- are you staying in the Albergue there? I remember when I was there this summer, I learned that the current site (the third since I've started walking the Primitivo) is also going to close and a new site will be found. I usually bail from the albergue Oviedo anyway since there are so many good budget options with clean sheets, private bath, and no closing time! Wishing you a wonderful camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I look forward to hearing all about it. My first Primitivo was in late Setember/early October and it was magical. Enjoy Oviedo -- are you staying in the Albergue there? I remember when I was there this summer, I learned that the current site (the third since I've started walking the Primitivo) is also going to close and a new site will be found. I usually bail from the albergue Oviedo anyway since there are so many good budget options with clean sheets, private bath, and no closing time! Wishing you a wonderful camino, Laurie

Thank you Laurie, I can't wait to begin the Primitivo. Our original plan was to walk the Del Salvador and Primitivo, but we chickened out as we've had a stressful few months and we felt a bit out of shape. The CF seemed like an easier 'just turn up and walk' option.

We'll definitely stay in a private room in Oviedo! We have about 15 days, so we won't need to follow a schedule, apart from making sure that we stop at Borres or Campiello for the Hospitales route (thanks for your excellent advice on that).

Right now, we're doing laundry in Leon. There's something very relaxing about watching it going round and round. Life is good!

are you staying in the Albergue there? I remember when I was there this summer, I learned that the current site (the third since I've started walking the Primitivo) is also going to close and a new site will be found.
I stayed in Oviedo several times since I crossed back and forth to different caminos from this city. Until the last time, I stayed in hotels; the last time, while walking the Primitivo, in the albergue. No arrows pointed the way, the guide was for the last place, the locals had no idea. Almost two hours circling before a nice older gentleman led me there. That evening a young Basque male and I were comparing notes about how long it took us to find the place. I said maybe my problem with accents prevented them from helping me...he countered that he had been sent the wrong way twice, then led to a homeless shelter, and he spoke Spanish. I said 'well, you do have a beard...did you mention you were Basque?"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All you need is in this guide by Liz. Why not download this onto your smartphone or have it printed at the hotel.

Attachments

• combined-guide-to-the-camino-primitivo-most-recent-8.1.15.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back