• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern route in October 2022 - weather?

vantild

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern Route in October 2022
Has anyone traveled the northern route in October? I've seen averages, but am interested in boots on the ground opinion regarding clothing to pack.

Thank you in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pack a poncho!!!
Has anyone traveled the northern route in October? I've seen averages, but am interested in boots on the ground opinion regarding clothing to pack.
I walked it in October to early November. I had perfect weather in 2018 in October when I walked. In November and it was away from the coast heading towards Santiago is when I had some rain but nothing that was intense. Having said that always have a poncho whenever you walk that goes without saying in my book. When it comes to weather I always quote the great John Lennon, "You know, you know, you never know, you know?"

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thank you in advance.
I had walked last year, during the October and November months. The weather was so crispy cool and clear until I entered Galicia. Every day, I had rain, storm, hail, fog, etc. So much so, I switched to Camino Inglés, and it was much more dry there.

In 2013 we walked from Hendaye to Santiago September 7 to about mid October. Some cool rain. Heavy rains in Santiago and Finestere. In 2017 I walked Irun to Llanes in September. Some rain, including some torrential downpours. Mud. In 2019 I walked from Llanes to Santiago October 17 - November 6. A LOT of heavy rain, torrential downpours, flooding and strong winds. Best rain gear affordable, waterproof boots and a sturdy umbrella strongly advised. Of course you still meet the nicest people and few are complaining. Buen Camino

am interested in boots on the ground opinion regarding clothing to pack.
Thank you in advance.
Waterproofs!

You might be lucky. You might get autumn sunshine and zephyr breezes all the way. And you might get a big, deep Atlantic low that'll try and throw half the world of water at you. Been there; soaked it up. Ponchos are great, keep the rain off you and you're pack. In anything over Storm Force 7 just find a nice bar and stay there 'till the wind drops.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Thank you in advance.
I walked Frances in September/October and had the best weather on any of my Caminos. However, my family came out to SDC to meet me for a week's break for the last week in October following my arrival. From the moment they arrived in SDC it rained for a week. That said I have been soaked in April, June and July so pack waterproof gear but it is usually pretty warm.
Buen Camino
Vince

I walked Frances in September/October and had the best weather on any of my Caminos. However, my family came out to SDC to meet me for a week's break for the last week in October following my arrival. From the moment they arrived in SDC it rained for a week. That said I have been soaked in April, June and July so pack waterproof gear but it is usually pretty warm.
Buen Camino
Vince
I walked it in October to early November. I had perfect weather in 2018 in October when I walked. In November and it was away from the coast heading towards Santiago is when I had some rain but nothing that was intense. Having said that always have a poncho whenever you walk that goes without saying in my book. When it comes to weather I always quote the great John Lennon, "You know, you know, you never know, you know?"
Thank you! I'm from Michigan, USA, so I'm used to a bit of cool (60 F is shorts weather), do you think a 50 F sleeping sack is sufficient in hostels?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In addition to the challenges of the rain, fall is surfing season and finding cheaper accommodations gets a bit tricky while near the coast.

Thank you! I'm from Michigan, USA, so I'm used to a bit of cool (60 F is shorts weather), do you think a 50 F sleeping sack is sufficient in hostels?
That is what I used and it was fine. It was really cold some nights because heating costs are going through the roof (especially now) in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back