• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norway to St. Jean Pied de Port.

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino de Santiago April/May/June 2016.
Hi, I'm planning to walk El Camino Frances March/April 2016. What is the easiest/cheapest way to travel from Norway to St. Jean Pied de Port? Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a similar problem leaving Norway after walking St Olav's Way, and finding all the on-line booking engines giving me quite unusual results. I decided it was time to consult a travel agent.

Hi, I'm planning to walk El Camino Frances March/April 2016. What is the easiest/cheapest way to travel from Norway to St. Jean Pied de port? Thanks in advance for any information.
Check www.Rome2Rio.com for transport possibilites. Easiest may be to fly Oslo to Biarritz via Stockholm. At Biarritz take airport bus to Bayonne and local train to SJPdP.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a similar problem leaving Norway after walking St Olav's Way, and finding all the on-line booking engines giving me quite unusual results. I decided it was time to consult a travel agent.

Thanks for your answer Dougfitz. I still have some time before my journey. I will probably fly from Oslo or Kristiansand airport whichever have the cheapest airfare, but my plan on where to arrive in Paris or Biarritz remains uncertain. Thanks again.

Getting out of Oslo shouldn't be too bad. I was trying to get to London from Trondheim, and being routed through Prague and Paris rather than on a more direct route. Good luck with your search.

Hi, I'm planning to walk El Camino Frances March/April 2016. What is the easiest/cheapest way to travel from Norway to St. Jean Pied de port? Thanks in advance for any information.

Fly Oslo to Madrid or Barcelona.

Then Renfe train Madrid or Barcelona to Pamplona.

Then CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

Or fly Oslo to either Paris or London.

Fly from London or Paris to Biarritz.

Chronoplus bus from BIQ to Gare Bayonne.

Alternatively take SNCF train from Paris to Bayonne.

Then SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

There are other permutations. Bordeaux and Bilbao are closer than the other transit points mentioned so far and there are good connections from both to Bayonne and Pamplona.

Note that a critical factor is considering how to get home from your end point ... such as Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi whariwharangi, thanks for your info. Getting home from either Santiago or having a return flight from Biarritz is something I try to wrap my head around for it to make sense in terms of time and money, any suggestions? Thankful for any advice anyone might have.
NorwegianWalker

I am traveling from Stavanger in May and have gone for the following option:
Norwegian Stavanger-Paris (arriving in Paris 13:15)
Train Paris-Bayonne (sleep one night here)
Train Bayonne-SJPdP (sleep one night here)

I will then walk for 8 days. I have left 2 days for me to get to Madrid from where ever I am, for my Norwegian flight home.

I do not know if that is the cheapest way to do it, but that is what I found. If you find an easier way to get to SJPdP from Paris - i will be happy to hear about it.

EDIT: I have given myself a lot of time both getting there and going home. That way I can take it a little bit ad hoc. I do not know the train schedules etc.

Last edited:
Hi milsub, thank you for the information you provide. I will definitely let you know of information that leads you to SJPdP from Paris.
Wish you a safe and happy vacation :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I'm planning to walk El Camino Frances March/April 2016. What is the easiest/cheapest way to travel from Norway to St. Jean Pied de Port? Thanks in advance for any information.
The easiest way is to fly to Biarritz, but not always the cheapest. It is also OK to get to SJPdP from Toulouse, Bordeaux and Bilbao. A return ticket is cheaper than a one wayticket except during summermonths when Norwegian have flights to Bordeaux and Bilbao. Flights to Pamplona is nearly always expensive. Madrid + bus to Pamplona is OK. From there bus to Roncesvalles and taxi to France or bus/ train to Hendaye/ Bayonne/SJPdP.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am traveling from Stavanger in May and have gone for the following option:
Norwegian Stavanger-Paris (arriving in Paris 13:15)
Train Paris-Bayonne (sleep one night here)
Train Bayonne-SJPdP (sleep one night here)

I will then walk for 8 days. I have left 2 days for me to get to Madrid from where ever I am, for my Norwegian flight home.

I do not know if that is the cheapest way to do it, but that is what I found. If you find an easier way to get to SJPdP from Paris - i will be happy to hear about it.

EDIT: I have given myself a lot of time both getting there and going home. That way I can take it a little bit ad hoc. I do not know the train schedules etc.
If you arrive at Orly, Paris you might find an Air France flight from there to Biarritz that is cheaper than a train ticket.

If you arrive at Orly, Paris you might find an Air France flight from there to Biarritz that is cheaper than a train ticket.
Thank you for that! I will check it out. That will also save me from getting the train/bus in to Paris.

Which company do you suggest I check out?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For all you Norwegian walkers out there, here's a little detour to consider.

When you arrive in Burgos, take the bus to Santo Domingo de Silos, where you can enjoy the monastery and the Gregorian chants by the monks who are quite renowned.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/monasterio-de-silos-detour.28772
There are a lot of threads on this, it is quite a popular "detour."

Next day, walk 14 km to Covarrubias on the Ruta de Lana. In Covarrubias, after your visit, begin the Camino San Olav, which goes from Covarrubias back to Burgos. http://www.caminodesanolav.es/es/burgos/

In case you're wondering why there is a Camino San Olav outside of Burgos, I've learned that Christina of Norway became a princess of Castilla. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Norway,_Infanta_of_Castile On her death, she asked that a church to Saint Olaf be built. 750 years later, she got her wish.

There is now a marked 60 km route, the Camino San Olav, from Covarrubias back to Burgos. That route also passes by an ancient visigothic church.

More information on these threads:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/covarrubias.36955

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/visigothic-jewel-south-of-burgos.36974

I think it looks wonderful and hope to arrive in Santo Domingo de Silos, coming in from the south on the Ruta de la Lana. Then a few days over to Covarrubias and into Burgos.

When we were living in Madrid in the late nineties, we went to Covarrubias. Nice place! Will have to find out more about the Camino San Olav - sounds like a good way to spend some time the next time we find ourselves with some extra days in Spain - perhaps this Easter, after we've walked to where the Camino de Madrid joins the Francais?

Hi whariwharangi, thanks for your info. Getting home from either Santiago or having a return flight from Biarritz is something I try to wrap my head around for it to make sense in terms of time and money, any suggestions? Thankful for any advice anyone might have.
NorwegianWalker

Santiago has aena operated airport at Labacolla SCQ. The aena website has a list of destinations and the airlines that serve them. Note that some airlines only fly there in summer ... so the list changes. There are regular flights to Madrid Barcelona and London. There are flights in summer to Paris.

Renfe train goes from Santiago to Madrid, Barcelona, and the border crossing at Irun/Hendaye.

SNCF train goes from Hendaye to Biarritz and Paris. Transports64 bus goes from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz Airport.

SNCF train goes from Barcelona to Paris. Santiago - Barcelona - Paris by train takes the same amount of travel time as the route via Irun.

I went YVR to London Heathrow then bus to Stansted, London Stansted to Biarritz. UK Customs, airport security, and bus trip are time consuming and, except for the bus, a major poorly planned nuisance. London is very well connected by discount airlines to all points Europe. My intention was to wander around before returning home. I flew back via Madrid to Gatwick. I could have gone to London from Santiago

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hei, vi har reist to ganger. Første gang fly til Paris, tog til Bayonne og tog eller buss til SJPDP. Andre gang fly til Barcelona, så tog til Pamplona og Buss eller taxi til SJPDP. Den første er definitivt best. God tur!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for that! I will check it out. That will also save me from getting the train/bus in to Paris.

Which company do you suggest I check out?
I was thinking about Air France, but checked out wideroe.no and finn. no and both places found some flights with Air France and another company (Hop). Prices from 500 and up. airfrance.no only book flights from Oslo.

Hei, vi har reist to ganger. Første gang fly til Paris, tog til Bayonne og tog eller buss til SJPDP. Andre gang fly til Barcelona, så tog til Pamplona og Buss eller taxi til SJPDP. Den første er definitivt best. God tur!

Tusen takk for verdifull informasjon :) Setter utrolig stor pris på det.
Ha en fortsatt fin kveld.

Mvh.
NorwegianWalker

Så kjekt å høre at jeg ikke har bommet helt på ruten min :)

Hei milsub. Tror kanskje jeg tar tog fra Paris til Bayonne. Vet du prisen på tog enveisbillett fra Paris til Bayonne? Event. Tur-Retur?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hei milsub. Tror kanskje jeg tar tog fra Paris til Bayonne. Vet du prisen på tog enveisbillett fra Paris til Bayonne? Event. Tur-Retur?

Niks, siden billettene ikke er lagt ut enda. Men det jeg har klart å grave fram er en pris på rundt 90 euro fra Paris til SJPdP. Har forstått at billettene legges ut et par måneder i forveien.

Not
Niks, siden billettene ikke er lagt ut enda. Men det jeg har klart å grave fram er en pris på rundt 90 euro fra Paris til SJPdP. Har forstått at billettene legges ut et par måneder i forveien.

Supert, lurt å sjekke flybillett pris også. Mener jeg leste i en tråd at enveis flybillett var ca. 40 euro fra Paris - Biarritz. But not a 100% sure though. Billetten kjøpes i Paris om jeg husker rett.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back