• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norwegian is the worst!

Elary Jack

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2018)
One month out, and my flight to Europe is cancelled, just like that! It's the middle of three legs, so now my flight to LAX and from Milan to Porto are useless. Why oh why did I try to save money by going with stupid Norwegian? Sorry--I'm sure I'll find something (much more expensive at the last minute), but I'm so frustrated, I just had to vent!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh I'm so sorry that's happening. I actually love Norwegian and have travelled with them frequently. Why was the flight cancelled?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One month out, and my flight to Europe is cancelled, just like that! It's the middle of three legs, so now my flight to LAX and from Milan to Porto are useless. Why oh why did I try to save money by going with stupid Norwegian? Sorry--I'm sure I'll find something (much more expensive at the last minute), but I'm so frustrated, I just had to vent!
That is the risk that you take when you buy separate tickets vs one through ticket. Of course the reward can be a much lower price, but it's because you take the risk, rather than the airline. The (sometimes) higher price of a single through ticket is basically insurance against this happening.

Sorry to hear. NA has started cheap flights out of LAX to MAD. Your post causes a rethink when next camino opportunity arises.

Hope all is sorted out for you: asap.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I flew recently on Delta from Seattle to Frankfurt via Amsterdam with a 52 minute connection between flights. I bought my tickets directly from Delta. Our plane did not leave Seattle for over 90 minutes due to mechanical issues. This caused great angst onboard to those who had tight connections like me but had bought their on tickets on websites like Travelocity. But I sat back and relaxed knowing that Delta would take care of me. When we landed in Amsterdam, the first thing that popped up on my phone was my new boarding pass. While I leisurely walked to my new gate there was this mad scramble of passengers running to the help desks to stand in line hoping to get a new connecting flight. I was onboard and headed to Frankfurt before most of them got to speak with anyone about missing their connection.

Sometimes it pays to "waste" money. Especially if you are on vacation.

This reminds me of an old Italian adage my late Sicilian grandmother once told me many decades ago. It has stuck with me all these years. It also remains very true.

"Buy cheap....pay twice..."

Just sayin... I only fly on well established international airlines, with regular flight schedules. Also, I buy flight insurance for all my Spanish trips. The insurance provides refunds if the airlines cancels my flight and basic medical coverage.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But I sat back and relaxed knowing that Delta would take care of me. When we landed in Amsterdam, the first thing that popped up on my phone was my new boarding pass. While I leisurely walked to my new gate there was this mad scramble of passengers running to the help desks to stand in line hoping to get a new connecting flight.

Sounds like a great recovery but I’m a bit confused. You were all on a Delta flight, right? Delayed out of Seattle. Why were the other Delta passengers scrambling? Why didn’t Delta take care of them? Why didn’t a new boarding pass pop up on their cell phones?

[QUOTE="Constantine, post: 618731, member: 55951"Why didn’t Delta take care of them? Why didn’t a new boarding pass pop up on their cell phones?[/QUOTE]

Delta took care of them at the Delta help desk in Amsterdam. The reason that a new boarding pass did not pop up on their phones is that they bought their tickets through Travelocity and not through the Delta app. Again, there are benefits to "wasting" money.

I see.

I’ve been there, in that mad scramble at the Delta Help Desk (I live in Atlanta where half of the airport is Delta)....its a mad house!

You came out well on this one!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm so sorry to hear that. But it wouldn't hurt to call your other airlines and ask for some flexibility, given what happened. Also, did you buy trip insurance? Because if you did it may cover any increase in fares under these circumstances if you have to rearrange things

Norwegian has a history of either cancelling flights or changing dates/time without so much as how do you do. You could recoup any lost cost if you had travel insurance or if it's a perk your credit card company offers. It's also fun to call them and give them a piece of your mind...or go online and leave reviews/vent... Alot of people talking about it/complaining might have some affect on their policy I would hope

I flew recently on Delta from Seattle to Frankfurt via Amsterdam with a 52 minute connection between flights. I bought my tickets directly from Delta. Our plane did not leave Seattle for over 90 minutes due to mechanical issues. This caused great angst onboard to those who had tight connections like me ...

I am reminded of a similar story when I flew SEA-CDG in 2013 ...

On Wednesday I flew direct from Seattle to Paris and caught the SNCF train from the airport to Bordeaux. It was actually easy. Of course, there is always something. In this case the plane was completely loaded and ready to go until the pilot ran through the check list and discovered that the "vertical speed indicator" was kaput. No problem. We're in Seattle where Boeing makes planes. Surely they have a spare one somewhere at or near the airport. No such luck. The pilot, who has been flying 26 years and has never heard of this problem, informed us in that reassuring basso profundo voice many pilots seem to have. "So here's plan B. There's a plane just like this coming in from Atlanta. As soon as it arrives our technicians are going to take its speed indicator out and put it in this plane. It'll only take 15 minutes. Unfortunately the plane from Atlanta doesn't land for another 40 minutes." Then the chaos ensued when the flight attendants took over. "Some of you will miss your connections at CDG. Some are going to places where there are not daily flights. You can deplane if you wish and we will rebook flights for you. However, we are not Delta but Air France, which is back in the main terminal. By the way, there are no other available flights out of Seattle to Europe today. Have a nice day." Also BTW, "If you get off you must take everything you brought on and you will not be allowed back on the plane until it is ready to go, if it is ready to go, and if you decide to stay on this flight." This last alert was repeated in different ways at least 5 times in English, and several times in French. The guy sitting next to me had a Lonely Planet "Ukraine" guidebook. He and at least 50 others got off. I sat back and starting watching "Admission" with Tina Fey, which is quite good and very funny. The time passed quickly and about an hour later 50 minus 2 passengers were reboarding. However, because of those minus two the luggage people had to find their luggage to unload before the flight could leave. Who cares, at least we're going, and this movie is really good. The pilot later announced they had decided to add extra fuel "so we can fly faster." After all that chaos the flight got to Paris one hour late and I had no trouble making my train connection. I don't know about the guy going to Kiev.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I sympathize. I am one week out and Norwegian changed my flight time to 6 hours later than the original. This makes me miss my connecting flight in London. So I've spent the last few days working to get a new flight into Porto which will have me arriving much later than planned.

Have Norwegian re-route you to London Gatwick. From there you can catch a flight to OPO via BA, easyJet or TAP

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Try www. justfly.com

I was booked with Norwegian, too. They changed flight times and couldn't make connections. They refunded money. Booked with American, more expensive, but direct flights, meals, checked luggage. So sorry for your dilemma.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Norwegian has a history of either cancelling flights or changing dates/time without so much as how do you do. You could recoup any lost cost if you had travel insurance or if it's a perk your credit card company offers. It's also fun to call them and give them a piece of your mind...or go online and leave reviews/vent... Alot of people talking about it/complaining might have some affect on their policy I would hope
If they change more than a few hours, they refund.

Norwegian run 787's long haul - and the 787 has engine issues- AirNZ and many other airlines have problem too https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...problems-boeing-787-rolls-royce-a8322866.html

I've been looking at them - because they offer flights to Europe ex Singapore for a fraction of normal fares - but being in New Zealand I still have to get to Singapore (they don't fly this far). What I'm noticing on their long haul is that I can pay the same price travelling in a few weeks or 6 months out - so if we do go with them I'm delaying booking until a few weeks prior.

The issue isn't the refund - its getting an alternative last minute we you have bought separate tickets

Norwegian run 787's long haul - and the 787 has engine issues- AirNZ and many other airlines have problem too https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...problems-boeing-787-rolls-royce-a8322866.html

I've been looking at them - because they offer flights to Europe ex Singapore for a fraction of normal fares - but being in New Zealand I still have to get to Singapore (they don't fly this far). What I'm noticing on their long haul is that I can pay the same price travelling in a few weeks or 6 months out - so if we do go with them I'm delaying booking until a few weeks prior.

The issue isn't the refund - its getting an alternative last minute we you have bought separate tickets

Boeing sources engines from GE and Rolls-Royce; the decision on which is the ordering airlines. The Rolls-Royce have some issues that are known. The GE engines are fine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Lissie, I think you'll find Norweigian is stopping its Singapore/London service in January 2019.
I plan to fly from Singapore myself in May, so that's one I won't have to think about...
All the best with the planning

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back