• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norwegian pilgrim routes this summer?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
I'm thinking of walking one of the Olavsleden routes in June and July this year. From what I've read online in the past few months Norway has been pretty thorough in its Covid precautions and a lot of pilgrim accommodation was closed completely last year. I'd be grateful for advice on the current situation for walkers in Norway. At the moment my first choice would be to walk the Gudbrandsdalen route from Oslo to Trondheim. Though a part of me also wants to return for a second and hopefully warmer walk along the route from Sundsvall :) Advice from anyone on the spot would be very welcome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm thinking of walking one of the Olavsleden routes in June and July this year. From what I've read online in the past few months Norway has been pretty thorough in its Covid precautions and a lot of pilgrim accommodation was closed completely last year. I'd be grateful for advice on the current situation for walkers in Norway. At the moment my first choice would be to walk the Gudbrandsdalen route from Oslo to Trondheim. Though a part of me also wants to return for a second and hopefully warmer walk along the route from Sundsvall :) Advice from anyone on the spot would be very welcome.
We are very happy to hear that you have plans to hike the St.Olavsways in Norway this summer.

As you mention, Norway has handled the coronasituation in a resolute and progressive way, which by time has paid of and today almost everything is back on normal with open infrastructure both in the society in general and also along the St.Olavways. The border between Norway and Sweden is now open which makes it a lot easier to hike the St.Olavspath from Sundsvall to Trondheim.

For the pilgrimseason of 2022 both hostels, hotels and restaurants should be open as normal.

According the Gudbrandsdalen path, one of the sections crossing the Dovrefjell mountainplain normally “opens” in the end of june, due to snowcover. Please contact the Dovrefjell pilgrimscenter for updated information later in the spring.

Hope you will have a memorable pilgrimage in Norway this summer.
Best regards Mattias Jansson. www.stolavways.com

Thank you Mattias for your reply. It's good to know that things are mostly back to normal. I will bear in mind your comments about the Dovrefjell section and snow cover and plan my starting date with that in mind.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Oslo to Trondheim in 2017, started June 1st. We wished we had waited another 3 weeks, we endured many marshy areas due to spring rain and snow melt off. I highly recommend the East Gudbrandsdalen route out of Oslo, many more stubbes on that route. We saw several Muskoxen near the Doverfiel. I still have the Sweden to Trondheim on my list. Maybe after this year Portugal Way!

https://pilegrimsleden.no/uploads/d..._GL/Accommodation_list__Gudbransdalsleden.pdf This may be old now, but it was very helpful to us. We walked many days with a college student from Amsterdam. He had an app on his phone that kept us going in the correct direction. Talk about solitude...in the 400 miles we walked we came across maybe 50 other trekkers. Mostly Germans. As for the price of lodging they averaged $25/night. But well worth every penny. Super clean with pure white ironed linens and fluffy down bedspreads!!!

The pilgrim center in Oslo was extremely helpful. There are at least 3 other centers along the way. Each center is up to date on the trail for the next 100+ miles. They warned us of detours, new or closed lodging and supplied maps and must see sites! I would advise you to visit all of them!

Last edited:
Thank you @Patty Blank for your comments. I will probably wait until late June to start walking.
Talk about solitude...in the 400 miles we walked we came across maybe 50 other trekkers.
I walked the Sundsvall route in May 2016. A lot of accommodation was still closed and on a few nights the temperature dropped well below zero. A couple of the lakes along the way were still frozen over. In the whole 500+km journey I met three other pilgrims: two of them being a couple walking together. A very different experience from the Camino Frances these days.

I'll be taking the train from Stockholm to Sundsvall on 5/25 and 5/26 will be my first day towards Trondheim. I know it is early in the season and might still be pretty cold but hey - I can always walk faster - LOL. I walked the Camino DelNorte/ Primitivo in May/June 2019. I am looking forward to a much quieter experience

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll be taking the train from Stockholm to Sundsvall on 5/25 and 5/26 will be my first day towards Trondheim. I know it is early in the season and might still be pretty cold but hey - I can always walk faster - LOL. I walked the Camino DelNorte/ Primitivo in May/June 2019. I am looking forward to a much quieter experience
I walked St Olav's Way from Oslo to Trondheim setting off on May 30th, 2016.
That year was unseasonably warm so I was a little unprepared clothing-wise for the temperatures I encountered...my lighter clothing got a real workout while the items I expected to wear were mostly ballast in my backpack (with the exception of a few days/areas)!
It was also very dry that spring; I expected 50% rainy days but only had 1 day of light rain & 1 morning of drizzle.
With that in mind, as with the planet as a whole, the climate is not as predictable as it used to be so in reality, you could experience a mixed bag of weather conditions.
God Tur @RainerS & @Bradypus!
👣 🌏

Me and my wife planned to walk to the border between Sweden and Norway last year , late August . We walked from Sundsvall to Östersund where we decided to stop , we had a lot of rain and it was cooler than normal . We where mostly camping and the temp dropped to +2 some nights , a bit cold . The route is nice but its not like the ones in Spain and Portugal , less places to stay , not many cafe`s or bars in the smal villages . We are swedes so we are used to it , but it can be a bit annoying if you are used to the ones in Spain . Needs more planning , some food or snacks in youre bag . But you can always knock on peoples doors for water etc , all are very helpful .
Can strongly rekomend it , its something else to the other ones , no stress and far less people not like it is after Sarria . You will mostly walk alone plenty of time to reflect and enjoy . And the route is well marked .
Buen northern camino 🙂

Thanks for your replies. Yesterday I booked a flight to Oslo for mid-June. Hoping to walk the Gudbrandsdalsleden to Trondheim. I plan to be wild camping much of the time - I might have to sell my house to pay for beds otherwise. :cool: It will be good to stretch the legs again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am currently walking from Sundsval to Trondheim. I am in Borgsjö right now at the end of day 5. I heard at the pilgrim center in Selånger that there is still snow in the mountains between Sweden and Norway but hopefully that will melt by the time I get there. I expect to be in Trondheim on 6/24. So far I have met less than 6 other pilgrims and not regularly but just here and there- I walked the Camino delNorte in 2019 and it was much more crowded there. There are very few cafes,bars or restaurants here along the way to stop in for a break.

So far I have met less than 6 other pilgrims and not regularly but just here and there- I walked the Camino delNorte in 2019 and it was much more crowded there. There are very few cafes,bars or restaurants here along the way to stop in for a break.
I walked from Sundsvall to Trondheim in May 2016 and met just 3 pilgrims over the whole walk. Just the sort of way I like!

Border.jpg

Thought I'd let those who replied know that I am on my way. Started this morning in Oslo. The long daylight will take some getting used to though. These days I mostly walk the Spanish Caminos in winter when there is only enough light to walk from about 8am to 6pm or so. This is the view from my hostel window at 11:35pm yesterday :) As I'll be camping most of the way I'll have to drop the habit of rising and packing up at first light. I'll never sleep otherwise!

IMG_20220615_233629.jpg
IMG_20220616_093746.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An update. The end of day 4 which has been the best so far. A long lie in this morning followed by a gentle short day which included a lunchtime swim in a surprisingly warm lake. And ending splendidly at this magnificent new luxurious gapahuk at Granerudsjøen. Toilets, water and wide wooden benches to sleep on. With usb charging points and WiFi as a very useful extra. That's proper pilgrim accommodation! :)

IMG_20220619_173703.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have a nice walk on the camino in Norway!

A last update from the Olavsleden. I have to abandon my walk and plan my return home to the UK. My right knee suddenly gave way yesterday and I fell quite heavily. Fortunately I was able to reach the very welcoming hostel at Nordrum Gård near Fåvang where the kind hospitalera arranged for me to see a local doctor. I have been advised that there is probably some ligament damage and that the knee will not safely bear much weight for some time to come. A frustrating end to what has been a very enjoyable journey so far.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At Trondheim airport waiting for my flight to the UK. This was the train's last stop before the airport. Felt oddly appropriate. Been here before some years ago. Much less hot than you might imagine... :)

View attachment 128728
"After Malcolm Lowry lost the manuscript to Under the Volcano in the fire at his shack at Dollarton, he was left that night with nothing to do but to stare disconsolately across the Fraser River at the Shell Oil refinery on the other side of the water. But the letter S had burnt out from the flashing giant Shell sign. So all that Lowry could see flashing at him in the darkness from across the river were the repeating red letters: ‘hell’ … ‘hell’ … ‘hell’. (quote from Malcolm Lowry @ The 19th Hole)"

Last edited:
At Trondheim airport waiting for my flight to the UK. This was the train's last stop before the airport. Felt oddly appropriate. Been here before some years ago. Much less hot than you might imagine... :)

View attachment 128728
Yes. Passed through it on the S.t Olavsleden, then came back on the train with my wife. I made sure we had return tickets!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back