• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norwegian Trekking cabins

markros73

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006, V dl P 2007,09 Camino d Norte 2004, Camino Mozarabe 2016, Camino de Madrid 2017
Are there very many of the DNT cabins along this way? And is it worth it to join, pay membership fee, and then pay 370nk per night? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so. There are a good few stabbur (small cabin type buildings on farms) where you can stay, herberges (albergues/youth hostels) etc along the trail so you don't need to bring a tent, but it also depends on your stages, how far you want to walk each day etc. I'd research potential accommodation along the trail first. Have you got a guide book? The Cicerone one is pretty recent and lists a good range of places to stay and sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Copying @alexwalker into this thread as he is our resident expert ;-)

BC SY
Bring a tent & camping gear. And stove. Everything in Norway is expensive. The good thing is that you are always allowed to camp in the exterior. I would never go with "albergues" or the likes in Norway, because they are rare/expensive/do not exist. This is not the CF.. Too expensive. If you go, camp in wildlife, prepare your own food. Unless you are filthy rich, Norway is a very expensive country.

Last edited:
I have walked both the Gudbrandsdalen and S:t Olavsleden using a combination of herberge, B&Bs, farm stays and cabins. I don't recall any of the DMT huts being close enough to the Gudbrandsdalen route to be useful alternatives.

As @alexwalker notes, meals and accommodation are relatively expensive, but I chose to accept that impost rather than carry the extra weight of camping and cooking gear as a solo walker. I disagree with his assessment that one has to be 'filthy rich' - that is clearly not the case for the pilgrims that I met who were not carrying camping and cooking gear.

You might want to consider a mixed approach. I met one woman this year who was camping every other night, although that was as much because she was only able to walk about 10 km a day on her prosthetic knees as it might have been to save money.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bring a tent & camping gear. And stove. Everything in Norway is expensive. The good thing is that you are always allowed to camp in the exterior. I would never go with "albergues" or the likes in Norway, because they are rare/expensive/do not exist. This is not the CF.. Too expensive. If you go, camp in wildlife, prepare your own food. Unless you are filthy rich, Norway is a very expensive country.
Hi
I have a MSR stove which I run on what we in Australia call shellite. I think it's called white gas or Coleman Fuel in the US. I think it's basically naptha. Is there an equivalent available in Norway?. I could runthe MSR on kerosene but it's a filthy fuel or petrol which I am reluctant to do.

Not many DNT cabins along the gudbrandsalen at all. We did a combination of hammock camping, stabburs, camping huts and hotels, once in a while. While Norway is certainly more expensive than Spain, its not THAT bad...We would try to vary it-- camp sometimes and splurge others. We stayed at a church community center in Hoff for "albergue" type prices, we were the only ones there. It was pretty much the recreation room for a church community center. At 7:00pm as we were drinking our tea and getting ready to call it a night, a group of about 20 teenage church youth came in and had their weekly gathering...yep, in the same room. Ping-pong tables going, billiards, playing guitars and singing... :\ It's what we paid for I suppose, couldn't complain... We didn't get to bed till 11pm. We still laugh about it till this day. They were lovely people there though. Although from that experience on, we opted for the free huts in the forest-- we had the right gear, why not? There are some shared hunting huts spread throughout the walk, they were always a welcome sight for getting out of the rain for a while. Oh, there are also a few campsites along the trail which rent out mini cabins- those were fun. The traditional stabburs were great experience. Sleeping like a medieval pilgrim on short stalls and hay pillows. Like my wife called them: our adult size cradles :)

We got an MSR pocket rocket for this trip specifically, since all they seem to have in the shops are Primus gas canisters. I had read that the threads were compatible before the trip and they were- worked perfectly.
Enjoy this walk! it was an amazing trip.
IMG_9455.jpg
IMG_8963.jpgIMG_9191.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
I have a MSR stove which I run on what we in Australia call shellite. I think it's called white gas or Coleman Fuel in the US. I think it's basically naptha. Is there an equivalent available in Norway?. I could runthe MSR on kerosene but it's a filthy fuel or petrol which I am reluctant to do.

Plenty of outdoor and/or sport stores in Norway and Sweden who will have Primus fuel. It's the same stuff as Coleman fuel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are these cycling routes as well, like the Camino in Spain (albeit controversial).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning on doing part of the Gudbrandsalen in May with my adult daughter. We've both done the CF. (I've been to Norway, so no grousing about prices, please!) We do NOT want to carry camping gear and want to do about 200 miles as we'd like to enjoy the pace. Does anyone who has done this trip have advice about which "leg" would offer the most accommodations and be amenable to 20 km or less each day? I have a guidebook, but it's from 2015 (by Raju) and I am also using the website. So far I am thinking Lillehammer to Hjerkinn. At least the book lists accommodations that are reasonably close together. It's May, so I expect cold and melt (mud) (I'm from Maine...we're used to it). I'd love to end in Trondheim. But that would mean starting in Hjerkinn. That could work. Thoughts?? Are we crazy to go in May? It's (unfortunately) our only option. And I can't stand hiking in hot weather.

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing part of the Gudbrandsalen in March with my adult daughter. We've both done the CF. (I've been to Norway, so no grousing about prices, please!) We do NOT want to carry camping gear and want to do about 200 miles as we'd like to enjoy the pace. Does anyone who has done this trip have advice about which "leg" would offer the most accommodations and be amenable to 20 km or less each day? I have a guidebook, but it's from 2015 (by Raju) and I am also using the website. So far I am thinking Lillehammer to Hjerkinn. At least the book lists accommodations that are reasonably close together. It's May, so I expect cold and melt (mud) (I'm from Maine...we're used to it). I'd love to end in Trondheim. But that would mean starting in Hjerkinn. That could work. Thoughts?? Are we crazy to go in May? It's (unfortunately) our only option. And I can't stand hiking in hot weather.

I agree. Lillehammer to Hjerkinn is what I would do in your situation. Are you walking it in March or May? You mention both in your post. I did it in June and it was still a bit cold-- remnants of snow remained in the highlands. I used the website to plan and made my own plan via google maps of that. Here it is in the case its helpful. The only thing different is that we skipped Sjoa-- walked from Sygard Gritting to Vinstra, took a train to Otta and walked remainder to Medieval Center Jorunsgard that afternoon. You'll be ending after one of the most beautiful stages but missing some beautiful hiking after Fokstugu (which I recommend staying at), but I imagine in March it might be difficult.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree. Lillehammer to Hjerkinn is what I would do in your situation. Are you walking it in March or May? You mention both in your post. I did it in June and it was still a bit cold-- remnants of snow remained in the highlands. I used the website to plan and made my own plan via google maps of that. Here it is in the case its helpful. The only thing different is that we skipped Sjoa-- walked from Sygard Gritting to Vinstra, took a train to Otta and walked remainder to Medieval Center Jorunsgard that afternoon. You'll be ending after one of the most beautiful stages but missing some beautiful hiking after Fokstugu (which I recommend staying at), but I imagine in March it might be difficult.

Sorry.....I meant May! March would be too snowy, I'm assuming. Thank you for the insight. It's just the kind of advice we are looking for. And thank you for your hiking plan. That's very helpful! Two questions: 1. Why did you skip forward by train? and 2. Did you book ahead all your accommodations? If so, how far in advance? I'm guessing May won't be too busy.

Last edited:
Sorry.....I meant May! March would be too snowy, I'm assuming. Thank you for the insight. It's just the kind of advice we are looking for. And thank you for your hiking plan. That's very helpful! Two questions: 1. Why did you skip forward by train? and 2. Did you book ahead all your accommodations? If so, how far in advance? I'm guessing May won't be too busy.

Skipping some sections here and there via the Dovrebanen might just be the thing to do so that you make it to Trondheim. I made all the accommodation plan several months before the trip. June was not busy, so I suspect you won’t have much trouble in May— but I recommend booking in advance because most accommodations won’t be expecting many pilgrims at that time and you want to make sure they will be open.

We skipped some stages after realizing that a Norwegian KM felt like 3 Spanish KMs. I’m experienced on many of the Caminos— but the up and downs here were something else. Our plan had us at 25km per stage to finish on time and we realized we needed to adjust the plan as this was too much and we had a return flight set.

I think it will be doable in May. If not passable for weather reasons, there’s plenty of bailout stages. However, I’m also one to brave off season hiking. Headed to the West Highland Way in March myself and worried about the same thing.

Hello @Campo,
Thank you so much for your report. It gives me security to try it in May. How is the telephone reception on the way?
Hello @Mito,
if you're on your way in May, it'd be nice if we could exchange mobile numbers. That would give me some security as a solo traveller.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello @Campo,
Thank you so much for your report. It gives me security to try it in May. How is the telephone reception on the way?
Hello @Mito,
if you're on your way in May, it'd be nice if we could exchange mobile numbers. That would give me some security as a solo traveller.

Yes, we can do that! I don't know yet what our phone situation will be --- whether we'll have an existing US phone or a SIM card we get just for Norway. Let's stay in touch as the time approaches.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back