• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nostalgia and gratitude

Kerstinh47

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 16 May - 29 June, 2014
my 2014 Camino.... Planned for and executed; check-plus. Much of my pre-camino information was gathered here from beautiful pilgrims of all backgrounds and nationalities that had experienced already the fine details and the infinite grey areas forming one's Camino experience. I offer a very humble 'thank you' to each of you whether I revealed myself or just silently soaked up what you shared.

Last night, I tearfully tried to use words to relate to my husband why I was tender & emotional, with occasional snotty tears underlining my emotion; I said, " I miss the simple-ness, the silence, the birds, the trail, the beauty of trusting that I would find a bed each night, the emotional intimacy with fellow pilgrims"..... I trust that a pilgrim reading this will understand how words can be so inadequate!

Tonight I've read many threads here in my desire to recapture a portion of the simple beauty I found on the trail while reading and sometimes responding to future and past pilgrims and my heart sings for what you already know or what you will discover as your feet move; one in front of the other in this most revealing 'walk'.

May you feel the shine of Universal Love on your face and deep inside your soul whether you have been or will be on the path of the pilgrim's way. Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Kerstin I hope the 'missingness' will ease, or at least become diluted, as you integrate your Camino into your normal life but those core experiences won't diminish they'll become a Camino 'touchstone' to reference for the rest of you life I'm sure.……and if those post camino blues won't go well heck then heed the call and go again-to the CF or any of the other pilgrim routes. It works for me (and many others of this particular parish!)
N

my 2014 Camino.... Planned for and executed; check-plus. Much of my pre-camino information was gathered here from beautiful pilgrims of all backgrounds and nationalities that had experienced already the fine details and the infinite grey areas forming one's Camino experience. I offer a very humble 'thank you' to each of you whether I revealed myself or just silently soaked up what you shared.

Last night, I tearfully tried to use words to relate to my husband why I was tender & emotional, with occasional snotty tears underlining my emotion; I said, " I miss the simple-ness, the silence, the birds, the trail, the beauty of trusting that I would find a bed each night, the emotional intimacy with fellow pilgrims"..... I trust that a pilgrim reading this will understand how words can be so inadequate!

Tonight I've read many threads here in my desire to recapture a portion of the simple beauty I found on the trail while reading and sometimes responding to future and past pilgrims and my heart sings for what you already know or what you will discover as your feet move; one in front of the other in this most revealing 'walk'.

May you feel the shine of Universal Love on your face and deep inside your soul whether you have been or will be on the path of the pilgrim's way. Buen Camino.

your post touched me, i am curently on day 22 at Vega de Valcarce of my camino reading posts trying to figure out how to deal with the end of this experiance. For me it is alive and so much a part of me. FYI the birds are still chirping here and feet are still being placed one in front of the other.
Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a quite easy and effective cure, come back and do it all over again. That second time will be different, consider walking the Camino del Norte, the shorter Camino Ingles or Camino Portuguese, feeling adventrous? Back off and start from Le Puy or Vezelay. The Camino will wait patiently until you can return.

I have that same problem trying to explain the affect that the Camino had on me to my friends. So I come to this forum everyday to share. I now accept that reality that I will be on a Camino every day for the rest of my life. Thank you for your blessing.

Buen Camino !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you! Your feelings absolutely echo what I'm feeling and I finished just 5 weeks ago. I'm still struggling with the longing to be back there and the serious work of how to integrate my Camino Lessons into my daily life (and failing) and trying to stay in touch with those who had such an effect on me. Thank God I will be back there next year to walk the last 200 miles from Leon to Santiago! Maybe the answers are still ahead.

What a beautiful post Kerstin. As you have found, it really is quite impossible to properly explain the opening of your heart to another who has not experienced the Camino in the deep way that you did.

Thomas A Kempis called it "removal of blindness of heart" once opened, the blindness removed, we can never be the same again - ever.

Tears are normal - though, you do realise that you have to return, don't you?

Buen Camino Kerstin

" I miss the simple-ness, the silence, the birds, the trail, the beauty of trusting that I would find a bed each night, the emotional intimacy with fellow pilgrims".....

Do I have your permission to use this sentiment? I've never been able to quite explain why I love the camino so much. This says so much is so few words.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I read the posts about whether it is possible to "do the Camino" on a pogo stick, or avoid bedbugs or blisters or snoring, or busing or boots or what constitutes a "proper" Camino - then I will put aside my impatience and think of this thread. Thank you @Kerstinh47

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I read the posts about whether it is possible to "do the Camino" on a pogo stick, or avoid bedbugs or blisters or snoring, or busing or boots or what constitutes a "proper" Camino - then I will put aside my impatience and think of this thread. Thank you @Kerstinh47
Kanga- how nice. My challenges were primarily internal - learning how to let things like fear, accepting help, anger, etc wash through me instead of resisting them. I suspect I'm not the only one . Thank you.

What a beautiful post Kerstin. As you have found, it really is quite impossible to properly explain the opening of your heart to another who has not experienced the Camino in the deep way that you did.

Thomas A Kempis called it "removal of blindness of heart" once opened, the blindness removed, we can never be the same again - ever.

Tears are normal - though, you do realise that you have to return, don't you?

Buen Camino Kerstin

What a fantastic job you did Kerstin of summing up the feelings that so many of us have had upon returning home. It's nearly impossible to relate the experience to someone who hasn't done it. Words fail to capture the simpleness, the camaraderie, the silence....and the way these things work together to become even more. As you begin to (attempt) to fit back into your "real" life, hang on to those lessons you learned and remember that the Universal Love is STILL shining on you.

Kirsten thank you for expressing so ably in one post what I could never explain without breaking up with emotions unable to express.You have put a camino thread into my thoughts that cheers and blesses me and also many others too. Thank you so much Buen camino our pilgrimages go on:)

Last edited:

Last night, I tearfully tried to use words to relate to my husband why I was tender & emotional, with occasional snotty tears underlining my
Beautiful words Kerstinh and I 'get what you are saying here'......I too miss the Camino dreadfully at times, but, gradually, you will settle back to 'life in the everyday world'.....I started up a facebook group back home here in Aust for fellow pilgrims and find, along with others in the group, that this is a place to go, (as well as this wonderful forum) when one needs to connect with other like minded souls....

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi, well put. I don't think I can control or pigeon hole the experience. I went in May /June and did not immediately share it all out with friends, but let it continue "fermenting" inside. I saw internally quite a lot, over 35 days, which became the focus of prayer. It has not been answered yet largely, but I trust it will at the right point. Don't be in a hurry to draw a line under your camino-it is an investment for life. Well done.

Hi Kersten, it's Vivien from Australia here - I think of you often and how we came and went along the Camino: how I thought I had 'missed' you and was so surprised to see you in Santiago. I feel every one of your emotions regularly and so miss the Camino. I came back very much changed and also seeking nothing but the simple - it now determines much of what I do. But I can't help but feeling nothing is like being on the walk and so I am planning the Camino Portugese. All my love, Viv

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Kersten, it's Vivien from Australia here - I think of you often and how we came and went along the Camino: how I thought I had 'missed' you and was so surprised to see you in Santiago. I feel every one of your emotions regularly and so miss the Camino. I came back very much changed and also seeking nothing but the simple - it now determines much of what I do. But I can't help but feeling nothing is like being on the walk and so I am planning the Camino Portugese. All my love, Viv
Vivien! How nice to hear from you here ; Viana, Castrojeriz - wine on the terrace & then Santiago ❤️ I'm happy to hear you're well & when are you planning for your next camino?

Hey Kirstenh.

I'm Steve. I feel ya! I put together a site for reminiscing at http://steveport.com/caminomap. Totally non commercial. I did it to reminisce. It just uses google maps with streetview and places along the camino. Maybe you'll enjoy it. God bless...

Beautifully written! You've expressed what so many of us feel. Like others who have responded, I often read these threads and post, longing for the next time I/we can be on the Camino. It was a year ago this week, we returned to the US after our Camino. So many fond memories. Thank you for a beautiful post! Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Feeling so much the same. Leaving Finisterre in the morning for madrid to fly home. I found so much on the camino, and I left some things behind. An experience like this is so personal that I have the welcome challenge of understanding and deciphering simply for my self.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kerstin, thank you for saying what I have been trying to articulate since I returned home to Colorado. I have been undergoing a metamorphosis of sorts, and I still cannot put the words to it when people ask about the trip . . . but here, everyone understands and I feel blessed and safe. Dreaming of walking again, meanwhile attempting to reintegrate into my life here and implement some of the lessons etched in my heart.

There is a quite easy and effective cure, come back and do it all over again. That second time will be different, consider walking the Camino del Norte, the shorter Camino Ingles or Camino Portuguese, feeling adventrous? Back off and start from Le Puy or Vezelay. The Camino will wait patiently until you can return.

And take your husband with you for whatever length of time/distance works for the two of you!

It's been 6 months since I finished my Camino and I still think about it every day. I think the people back home here are sick of hearing about it. I guess that's why I still come here. I don't have much advice to add as far as practical information, but I just want to be around people who understand.

And yes, I agree that the only cure is to go back.

Wonderful words spread for those that made their camino , nice to be remembered when we are not walking !
I went last July with my son from Sjpdp to Logroño, and my wife is going alone next 17 of October from Sarria to Music, and I feel very lest say sorry because I can't go this time!
Maybe next June we will go together!
Buen Camino and keep the good memories and feelings. !

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back