• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not a blog from Kanga

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I walked this morning to Santiponce along a muddy and slippery river route. There was a spectacular thunderstorm last night and the local police tell me the Arroyo los Molinos between here and Guillena is full again. So I’ll spend the rest of today exploring Italica and will spend the night here. Then decide how to proceed in the morning. I was lucky to get the last room in the hotel - a bus tour has taken most of the rooms. It looks nice and is very reasonably priced.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry to hear about the weather. But there are far worse places to be stuck for the day and Italica is well worth a visit :) Will be watching out for your news along the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Kangaroo for the heads up. I am having a rest day in Cacares. Walking in it was getting pretty hot on this part of the VDLP. No rain for the last 4-5 days.
Happymarkos

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kanga,
Just before the Rio there is a sign indicating a diversion to the left, I think it goes under the motorway then right. In the event I would walk up to the Rio and check, we were there a week ago and despite posts to the contrary the pallet bridge looked as if it had been in place for some time.
Regards
George

I walked this morning to Santiponce along a muddy and slippery river route. There was a spectacular thunderstorm last night and the local police tell me the Arroyo los Molinos between here and Guillena is full again. So I’ll spend the rest of today exploring Italica and will spend the night here. Then decide how to proceed in the morning. I was lucky to get the last room in the hotel - a bus tour has taken most of the rooms. It looks nice and is very reasonably priced.
Hi @Kanga thanks so much for your help. This Aussie made The Way and walked the Finisterre for good measure. Cried on the bus back to SdC. Flying out tomorrow. Yes, I am planning the next one. :-/

I took 40 days to walk from St Jean to Fisterra. Since it took 2-1/2 days to get from Australia to the top of the track at SJPdP, I am thankful I did not do myself an injury and find myself a scratching at the next day’s starting gate. :-D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wishing you Buen camino Kanga and as always Ultreia!
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kanga,
Just before the Rio there is a sign indicating a diversion to the left, I think it goes under the motorway then right. In the event I would walk up to the Rio and check, we were there a week ago and despite posts to the contrary the pallet bridge looked as if it had been in place for some time.
Regards
George

Unfortunately the pallet bridge has fallen apart, at least someone posted a picture of it a few days ago on a Spanish Vía de la Plata Facebook page.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any doctors or physiotherapists or scientists out there with knowledge about preventing muscle cramps? I’ve just had a doozy. I’m drinking lots of water and now downing a magnesium and potassium supplement. My theory is that as I age I’m just not absorbing nutrients the way I used to. Help!
Unfortunately the pallet bridge has fallen apart, at least someone posted a picture of it a few days ago on a Spanish Vía de la Plata Facebook page.

Thanks for the info LTfit.

Any doctors or physiotherapists or scientists out there with knowledge about preventing muscle cramps? I’ve just had a doozy. I’m drinking lots of water and now downing a magnesium and potassium supplement. My theory is that as I age I’m just not absorbing nutrients the way I used to. Help!

Kanga, I don't qualify professionally, but my walking companion is a gp and she always prepares a glass of water with a lot of sugar when we finish walking, to help prevent cramps.

Kanga, can you please tell me the Hotel you stayed in Santiponce, I'm thinking of staying there to break up the first day, just in case I have to take the extended diversion.

Kanga, can you please tell me the Hotel you stayed in Santiponce, I'm thinking of staying there to break up the first day, just in case I have to take the extended diversion.

It’s the Hotel Anfiteatro Romano - right at the entrance to the Italica site. No rooms available on booking.com so do try telephoning direct, which is how I got mine. I don’t have the number handy, but it’s in various guides. As the receptionist explained they have been booked solid with small tour groups, one of which I am currently watching as they unload. Quite amusing comparing their enormous suitcases to my pack.
A nice room with ensuite for 35 euros. And the bar downstairs has a good menu at lunchtime and reasonable prices.
The main Italica site seems to be closed to the general public until 3 May, but I have explored around and visited the Teatro Romano - not very well preserved.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@peregrina2000 Sugar and mustard! I’ll try both. Although mustard will have to wait for a supermarket - does it have to be Hot English - or could it be Dijon? This is important!

The “normal” night cramps in the calf muscles don’t worry me too much - they pull out fairly easily. It’s the large ones in my thighs and through the torso. Yuk!

Every morning I would stretch my legs, and it was borderline cramping. I did not get cramps but I am sure I was very close. Looking forward to hot bath.
My legs will be looking for 25 km hikes.
Plane back to Aus will be a shocker.

@peregrina2000 Sugar and mustard! I’ll try both. Although mustard will have to wait for a supermarket - does it have to be Hot English - or could it be Dijon? This is important!

The “normal” night cramps in the calf muscles don’t worry me too much - they pull out fairly easily. It’s the large ones in my thighs and through the torso. Yuk!
Honey dijon, if available in Spain, will take care of both mustard and sugar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jill, I used to have terrible night cramps, but @Anniesantiago recommended that I take a teaspoon of mustard every night and no problem since then.
Hi Laurie - are you still on the Almeria track? Hope you've been able to link up with another mob!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Possibly calcium Jill..I would try that too. Plus some gentle stretches.

@longwayhome I chose the magnesium plus potassium mix rather than the magnesium plus calcium - there was a choice. I guess yoghurt and lots of cafe con leche should be added to the honey mustard! This is some weird diet, particularly as I’d like to drop a few kilos!

Ahh Kanga what an appropriate time to read your post. I'm a lurker on the forum and found your posts, along with other caring people, very helpful when I walked in a very hot Aug/Sep 2016. The Camino was a wonderful experience which I enjoyed immensely, however, at the time I could not have imagined I would want to do it again. Here I am 20 months later not as fit as I could be, a tad unprepared, but with an overwhelming desire to walk again (commencing SJPDP around 23 May). Contemplated trying the VdLP but thought it may be of bit beyond me. Your quote "the road is always waiting, just outside" quite apt. Just a chance for a forum "lurker" to thank you and several others for their caring and helpful posts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Kanga
I also had bad leg cramps on the first few days and then added an electrolyte tablet to a 750 ml water bottle each day and drank that fairly early on in the walk. No cramps since. The tablets were from Cotswolds Outdoors in the UK. I bought some sachets also from a farmacia in Merida in case I ran out. Half a sachet each day is enough. Come in different flavours.
Hope that helps.
The pallet bridge was in pieces when I went through. Found a way round as have Lowa renegades so can handle 3 cm of water/ mud. A few kms on the path is on sticky clay and I was quickly 3-4 cm taller. Made my way to the road and walked from there.
Happymarkos

@Charlie11 Zi am totally unfit and am planning very short days for the first week. The only really difficult stretch to do that is between Castilblanco and Almadén. It may require a taxi to the edge of the park but I hate that idea. So I’ll let you know how I get on.

@happymarkos Im planning to wade through in my sandals. We will see!

Hi Kanga. I read what happymarkos said about electrolytes, and that reminded me we used to put a sachet from the farmacía, cheap as anything, in to a litre water bottle every day and plough our way through it. I was glad when it was finished and I could drink normal water! Take care, and hardly any need to say enjoy, as I imagine that you are very good at that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Kanga when I did the Oxfam walk we were advised - and I saw St John’s ambulance personnel dishing these out for cramp - two quick-eze under the tongue. Not sure if you can get them in Spain.
(For the uninitiated Quick-Eze is a heartburn/indigestion medicine containing the active ingredient(s) calcium carbonate + magnesium carbonate + magnesium trisilicate.)

@longwayhome I chose the magnesium plus potassium mix rather than the magnesium plus calcium - there was a choice. I guess yoghurt and lots of cafe con leche should be added to the honey mustard! This is some weird diet, particularly as I’d like to drop a few kilos!
Any limestone about? You can always chew a bit of that for a "natural" approach!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The feared Arroyo dos Molinos was a piece of cake. There are a couple of broken wooden palates a few yards up from the main crossing, a slippery muddy drop but using my sticks got me down and then I used the broken palates to step across. Did not even get my feet wet. Lots of mud walking into Guillena. There seems to be an alternative path along a gravel road that may have been better than the route I took, following the yellow arrows.
I cannot say the Guillena albergue impresses. If I could find a broom and a garbage bag I could do something about it.

kanga the albergue Almaden de la Plata is closed. Stayed at Albergue El RELOJ - 10 euros. No bunk beds and has a kitchen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I cannot say the Guillena albergue impresses. If I could find a broom and a garbage bag I could do something about it.
Sorry to hear that. The municipal albergue seems to have had lots of problems and closures over the past year or so. I stayed in the private albergue Luz del Camino and found it very pleasant.

Hi Kanga - Buen Camino. It has been almost a year since we met on the Camino where I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. Taking your advice and will be back.

So, having a great night at the albergue with France, Japan, Belgium and Canada. Belgium is cooking. My contribution is the bottle of oruja and it seems to be going down well. We will either snore, or be oblivious to others snoring.

So, having a great night at the albergue with France, Japan, Belgium and Canada. Belgium is cooking. My contribution is the bottle of oruja and it seems to be going down well. We will either snore, or be oblivious to others snoring.
and more than likely, no cramps!!! enjoy.

Hi Kanga.
Both Albergues in Almaden have been burnt out, I was there last week and no repair work had been started on either.
Regards
George

As prescribed to sufferers of multiple sclerosis a cruel and unrelenting disease that causes devastating muscle cramps .
Tonic water with quinine , not only does it act as a preventative a small glass will alieviate symptoms within minutes.

I'm the only one in the family without a Dr in front Kanga , and the oldest of 8 , so you can take this or leave it however i rang my son , a paramedic who gets lost on The Nth Face 100km in Blue Mountains and also let the Puffing Billy beat him yesterday in the "race" and his exact words ;
If Jill takes Mag/Pot she must take Sodium
If she is drinking plenty of water etc then the body is lacking sodium.
A table spoon of Sodium / Bio with water or as Pat said if Jill's eating whilst walking have 2 tablets per day.
No Bulk Billing here , send cheque via Bronwyn .

Last edited:
Hi Kanga, I completed Augusta yesterday arvo and was enquiring at the INFORMATION place near the Cathedral about Italia They Told me it was closed. I had planned on bussing out today so I could concentrate on starting VDLP. Was I told a fib?

The Italica (Roman ruins) site itself is partly closed, I think there are some excavations going on. But that is just the tourist area, it does not affect the Camino path at all.

Thanks for that. Most recent information from " the experts" is that it is due to Game of Thrones. Probably doesn't matter, closed to tourist is still closed. With luck the path will dry A bit. Hope to bump into you on the way, happy trails. ;-)

Hi Kanga, glad to see you’re out on the trail again. I’m half way between Paris and SJPdP walking to Santiago. Still deciding whether to turn right at DAX to walk the Norte. Have a wonderful time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kanga, I completed Augusta yesterday arvo and was enquiring at the INFORMATION place near the Cathedral about Italia They Told me it was closed. I had planned on bussing out today so I could concentrate on starting VDLP. Was I told a fib?
My advice is to arrange to spend more time in Merida, in order to take in both the Roman sites and the excellent museum. You cannot see better examples of Roman artefacts anywhere. In other words, forget Italica.

Thanks Margaret, I am probably 5 days away from there and trying to avoid the instinctive rush to the End. Roman is my interest and I was wondering about the site so now I can shape my plan a little more. Is it a full day site or just half?

Definitely a full day. I didn't manage to see much of the museum as it was closing for lunch. Check the opening times of the sites and the museum beforehand so that you can plan your day. The aqueduct can be seen on your way out of Merida next morning.

We had two full days in Merida and did not run out of things to see. It was really nice to be able to linger.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.