• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not a Camino, but Portugal here I come

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
It's been a long hard road post hip replacement (had to call off my VDLP last year) and am still unsure of my distance walking. I am just not in shape for the kind of Camino I will be embarking next year.

Couldn't stay away from Iberia any longer, I need the sun, food, ambience and so I will be a tourist April 28 to May 22 in Portugal with a Tour company (my pilgrim heart is in shock, lol ).

I will spend about a week in the Azores, then spend 6 days on my own in Lisbon with daytours as far as Fatima, Sintra, hope to get to Coimbra, Tomar and revist my favorite places in Lisbon. I will also spend 2 nights in Evora. If you have some ideas of places to see and why, please tell me. Thank You.
While in Lisbon, I hope to meetup with estorildon and Jose Luis Sanches (Via Lusitana). Anyone else in Lisbon between May 5 to 10, let me know, it would be great to meetup.

The last week, I will rejoin my Travel group to explore the Algarve.

The most challenging part of this trip is what to pack. For a Camino, it would be so easy, just open the box where I have everything stored, pack my mochila and off I go. I am not used to do this "touristing thing". Well that's it for me for now. If you are friends with me on facebook, (Ingrid Folkers) keep checking in for updates and pictures.

Carpe Diem! Light and Love, Ingrid

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's been a long hard road post hip replacement (had to call off my VDLP last year) and am still unsure of my distance walking. I am just not in shape for the kind of Camino I will be embarking next year.

Couldn't stay away from Iberia any longer, I need the sun, food, ambience and so I will be a tourist April 28 to May 22 in Portugal with a Tour company (my pilgrim heart is in shock, lol ).

I will spend about a week in the Azores, then spend 6 days on my own in Lisbon with daytours as far as Fatima, Sintra, hope to get to Coimbra, Tomar and revist my favorite places in Lisbon. I will also spend 2 nights in Evora. If you have some ideas of places to see and why, please tell me. Thank You.
While in Lisbon, I hope to meetup with estorildon and Jose Luis Sanches (Via Lusitana). Anyone else in Lisbon between May 5 to 10, let me know, it would be great to meetup.

The most challenging part of this trip is what to pack. For a Camino, it would be so easy, just open the box where I have everything stored, pack my mochila and off I go. I am not used to do this "touristing thing". Well that's it for me for now. If you are friends with me on facebook, (Ingrid Folkers) keep checking in for updates and pictures.

Hi, as I woke up this morning, I had some of the same thoughts. Am beginning the Fisherman's Walk from Porto Covo on May 27th, and realized that I would probably need a bathing suit (never packed that before), and oh, what about a beach towel? And oh - I always just take my Croc ballerina flats as my after walk shoes - do I need to take something else re sand, and oh - guess I will be around holiday travelers even if I am mostly staying in bunk bed situations - do I need nicer clothes? You are right, I have just started putting things together and have my Need to Pack list on my computer from my previous Caminos and suddenly there are all these questions popping into my mind. Oh well, one of my favorite expressions when irritating things come up - these are all FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!
If anybody has done this walk - love to hear about your favorite places to see. Thank you, Linda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ingrid, I have a moment to wish you well as you recover, and enjoy the time in Portugal. Hope springs eternal, you can keep the backpack ready for next time. 👣

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit Ingrid,
However, to set your expectations, I spent a night in Evora last month.
To be fair, we were only driving through en route to Cadiz. Staying at the Ibis just outside the old town walls, we walked into the old town early evening to look for some life - it was VERY quiet.
There was quite a nice relaxed vibe in one of the parks - full of kids smoking dope and generally chilling.
The old museum-like buildings looked interesting, we found a couple of likely bars but ended up retiring to our hotel room.

Evora is good for a single night, but a bit of a challenge to occupy a whole day and a couple of nights - unless you know more than I and have specific things in mind.

Evora was very quiet at night but lively for lunch and day-time. It has a pretty good remnant of a roman temple, an aquaduct and medieval walls but after walking the CF seemed a bit tame. We were in a rental car and found a hint that led us to a cork factory (this was the reason we went to Portugal) plus a really nice castle/fortified house in the surrounding area at Evoramonte. There are supposed to be Stone Age dolmans too but even though we got directions at a bar, etc, and drove off-road in the rental car through large areas of cork trees we did not find one.
We did a day trip to Sintra via train and I loved it! Didn't see it all. There was a fair bit of walking and climbing. It was quite touristy but worth it IMO. Quinta da Regaleira and Castelo dos Mouros were my favourites.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi, dont miss day trip to Sintra while in Lisbon. Get off train and buy €20 hop on and off bus trip to all the sites thru this beautiful park like area. (Google it) re clothing. Lond shirts and thin shirts/tops fir the day and capris or thin trouser/skirts for evenings. Walking shoes etc. Very very hot in Iberia and casual clothes needed. Enjoy....

Hi, dont miss day trip to Sintra while in Lisbon. Get off train and buy €20 hop on and off bus trip to all the sites thru this beautiful park like area. (Google it) re clothing. Lond shirts and thin shirts/tops fir the day and capris or thin trouser/skirts for evenings. Walking shoes etc. Very very hot in Iberia and casual clothes needed. Enjoy....
Meant long shorts.. ..

Hi, Ingrid, so glad to see you back and getting ready for a trip! We had a nice GTG in Lisbon last year with José Luis, Natércia, and Estorildon. If @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth are there, I bet they would try to make it.

I think the Açores is one of the most beautiful destinations in Europe, which islands will you visit? Plenty of beautiful day hikes for you to test your knee on!

If @jungleboy sees this, he will be able to provide a contrary viewpoint, but I have never found Evora to be a special destination. I know it is a “must visit” place from Lisbon and I have gone back at least three or four times, but I just don’t connect for some reason. Lots of stores selling cork products, the church with bones, the Roman temple. Good food though! Many people love it, so I may just be the weirdo. If you have a car, and if your feelings when you arrive are more like mine than like @jungleboy, you could easily do a day trip to Estremoz and Evoramonte. And the cromeleques/dolmens are so interesting. They are about 20 km from Évora and easy to find with googlemaps offline.

Are you doing the day trips with public transportation? That might influence some of your decisions. Sintra is so close to Lisbon, yet so crowded. Some of the best Sintra sites, imho, are off that main tourist path, like the cork monastery, and some 19th century summer retreats of the rich and famous. But you need a car to get to them. And that would require a lot of navigational skill, because the main downtown old part of Sintra and the roads to the moorish castle and the palace have been closed to cars, I believe.

Not too much time till departure, wishing you a wonderful trip!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If somehow Nick doesn't pick up on Laurie's message I will PM Nick and Wendy next week. Last I heard Wendy was off doing work in Africa but she might be back by now.

We had a nice GTG in Lisbon last year with José Luis, Natércia, and Estorildon. If @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth are there, I bet they would try to make it.
If somehow Nick doesn't pick up on Laurie's message I will PM Nick and Wendy next week. Last I heard Wendy was off doing work in Africa but she might be back by now.
Wendy is back from Ethiopia but we won’t be able to join a meet up this time as we’ll be on camino when Ingrid is in Lisbon.

If @jungleboy sees this, he will be able to provide a contrary viewpoint, but I have never found Evora to be a special destination. I know it is a “must visit” place from Lisbon and I have gone back at least three or four times, but I just don’t connect for some reason. Lots of stores selling cork products, the church with bones, the Roman temple. Good food though! Many people love it, so I may just be the weirdo. If you have a car, and if your feelings when you arrive are more like mine than like @jungleboy, you could easily do a day trip to Estremoz and Evoramonte. And the cromeleques/dolmens are so interesting. They are about 20 km from Évora and easy to find with googlemaps offline.
I’m not some Évora super fan, but I do think it’s a charming little place. I like the uniformity of the yellow and white colours in the architecture of the town centre. The Roman temple is the most impressive one in Portugal off the top of my head and the cathedral has a lot to offer too. That’s about it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I are using Coimbra as a base until late June. If we aren't out of town, it would be great to catch up with any forum members passing through. PM me.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, as I woke up this morning, I had some of the same thoughts. Am beginning the Fisherman's Walk from Porto Covo on May 27th, and realized that I would probably need a bathing suit (never packed that before), and oh, what about a beach towel? And oh - I always just take my Croc ballerina flats as my after walk shoes - do I need to take something else re sand, and oh - guess I will be around holiday travelers even if I am mostly staying in bunk bed situations - do I need nicer clothes? You are right, I have just started putting things together and have my Need to Pack list on my computer from my previous Caminos and suddenly there are all these questions popping into my mind. Oh well, one of my favorite expressions when irritating things come up - these are all FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!
If anybody has done this walk - love to hear about your favorite places to see. Thank you, Linda
Buen Camino and happy packing. Light and Love

Last edited:
I won't, I visited Sintra in 2015, but only 2 places, so want to see the rest. I will just take the train and do the hop on and off. This will help me get around.

Wendy is back from Ethiopia but we won’t be able to join a meet up this time as we’ll be on camino when Ingrid is in Lisbon.

I’m not some Évora super fan, but I do think it’s a charming little place. I like the uniformity of the yellow and white colours in the architecture of the town centre. The Roman temple is the most impressive one in Portugal off the top of my head and the cathedral has a lot to offer too. That’s about it!
Not sure why I feel drawn to Evora. I initially was hoing to do a daytour, but found it to be rather expensive. I opted for the 2 nights. A bit more economical than another night or 2 in Lisbon. The 2nd day is really a travel day to Faro to meet up with the your group again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I are using Coimbra as a base until late June. If we aren't out of town, it would be great to catch up with any forum members passing through. PM me.
I originally was going to for that too, but opted for Lisbon, as I sm flying into Lisbon from the Azores. Coimbra will have to wait until next time. I might take a day and get as far as Tomar by bus I believe. I will decide that once I am in Lisbon.

Ty for the hop on and off suggestion. Will do that!

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.