A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

NOT a serious thread 2018

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Since it is picture time I'll add two views from my backyard toward the next lot. Taken four months apart. Can you see any differences? :eek::mad::mad::mad:

View attachment 49572 View attachment 49573
Oh dear, the term “Life in the big city,” comes to mind, but I’m not sure how much that can be applied to your situation. Still it is winter now, and things will be better in the spring. 😊

Our neighbour took down my lovely aged old fence without even a word of notice, and now my tiny little garden is no longer enclosed. 😡 He said he’ll put a new fence in “when the weather turns.”
Life in the big city. 😠

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
I bet you thought that Santa Claus was bringing you all the presents for Christmas …… Well, meet the Santa Fant!

Santaphant.jpg
On Christmas night, he will be flying all over the world bringing red socks to all sincerely un-serious pilgrims. So have you been seriously un-serious all year; or did you end up on the serious-list (he will be checking twice)?

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
No point wondering where everyone is, if I am part of everyone!
Brilliant solution. 😊

@stgcph did you make that???
It's brilliant.
If not it's a little spooky. Is there a parallel NOT serious thread in another place or another universe?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I bet you thought that Santa Claus was bringing you all the presents for Christmas …… Well, meet the Santa Fant!

View attachment 49617
On Christmas night, he will be flying all over the world bringing red socks to all sincerely un-serious pilgrims. So have you been seriously un-serious all year; or did you end up on the serious-list (he will be checking twice)?
@stgcph, so nice to have you back here! The conversation has dwindled down a bit recently and you are just what is needed to breathe some new life to this thread again!
...So glad you survived your ordeal of getting lost on your last pilgrim adventure!

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
Just saw a old episode off the famous Father. View attachment 49566
Second only to the BBC's Miss Marple series - Joan Hickson, of course, playing the role that was practically written for her (Christie once said to her "I do look forward to seeing you play my dear Jane one day".

The various series of Father Brown appear to be a nursery for up and coming British actors and Mark Williams slipped easily into the leading role.

For good measure see if you can find Derek Jacobi as Brother Cadfael the detective monk.

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Second only to the BBC's Miss Marple series - Joan Hickson, of course, playing the role that was practically written for her (Christie once said to her "I do look forward to seeing you play my dear Jane one day".

The various series of Father Brown appear to be a nursery for up and coming British actors and Mark Williams slipped easily into the leading role.

For good measure see if you can find Derek Jacobi as Brother Cadfael the detective monk.
Cadfael is a nice serie aswell , love it to . cadfael-brother-cadfael.29258.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.

View attachment 49617
Just what I need.

Welcome back Cotter, welcome back!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
You might as well know I am lost. Lost. And it will be a while till I am found. Other things to do. And one of them is to cook the dinner. Another, if I renege on my plan to go out to a talk on Mediaeval Pilgrim, which will be a shame, but sometimes, priorities get shifted around...so then I would have time to do my homework for Bristle boy's quiz. I have found the first answer! Yes! See you later folks...

Camino(s) past & future
if this works, I am proving myself wrong. Did I lie? Moi? Lie?
Can I reply to my own post? Let's see. I have just watched this, amazed that I had found it in the first place. You know, people, we really did some amazing things on this thread. Why? I think because this thread offers a place to be the child that lives within each one of us. Don't let that get out! We might be inundated, and bristle boy will have far too big of a logistical task for the second anniversary! Thanks everyone, from domigee on, for the simple fun, and the total lack of serious stuff - life is too short fo all of that! just, thanks. And let the wells of creativity explode once more.
this is fairly serious, by the way. Be warned!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
Looking back at socks, one can never overstate the importance of color coordinating pack, poles, shirt, shoes (or at least laces), socks, and towel, toiletry bag.... as well as making sure your walking partner is likewise coordinated with you! If their jacket is the wrong color they will have to find someone else to walk with. Silly me, I really did this, all unintentionally of course.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
I have been trying to post a selection of posts from the first 400. Not much luck. I made a slide show, but can't see how to post them. Then I picked out ten and they are up in a very messy format. I might see if I can send a link and I will put them in my dropbox... don't hold your breath!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015

View attachment 49617
You beat me to it @stgcph. I was saving my similar image for weeks. Instead I will offer up a picture of our recently departed dog Beau to extend a season's greetings to the not serious people. Those in the northern sections of the northern hemisphere may however be as appreciative about the season as Beau was.
H-tv-xmas-dog2-for-phone.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Looking back at socks, one can never overstate the importance of color coordinating pack, poles, shirt, shoes (or at least laces), socks, and towel, toiletry bag.... as well as making sure your walking partner is likewise coordinated with you! If their jacket is the wrong color they will have to find someone else to walk with. Silly me, I really did this, all unintentionally of course.
That’s why possessing red socks is so important. One’s trek travel tack can be color coordinated around said socks.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
Camino(s) past & future
Right now all of the Border collies that I know are wearing brown socks. Ok, so I will look for red socks too! They will stand out so nicely against my magenta Altras. Ceit the BC wears purple so it would be nice to coordinate with her.
Look no further than the shop best known for dressing clerical gents... E557B82A-8FFE-4290-8DF0-287010F617EB.png

Yup.... this thread is getting long enough for recycling 😄😄😄😂

I seriously cannot be assed to go back and look for it ... but I remember posting this, possibly in the summer? (though I seem to remember, the 🦒 was feeling more arachnicidal than yours, Peter !!!)

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.

I seriously cannot be assed to go back and look for it ... but I remember posting this, possibly in the summer? (though I seem to remember, the 🦒 was feeling more arachnicidal than yours, Peter !!!)
Much impressed with the colour editing....love it....
Have not been here for a while and please do not hold it against me if I do not read up on all the posts...

Btw purple socks on today...

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Pilgrims on the meseta.
Alas the pilgrim office does not take this mode of transport into account...
Neither ballon nor by bird of prey...
- No Compostela...

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future

Hellp! Hellp! as my friend Screenshot 2018-12-08 at 15.43.38.png would say... a r a c h n I c I d a l ??? hello!

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
How must they document the journey? Would they have to land every 20 km's or so to collect sellos? What if they were flying on the back of an elephant -would that give some special credit?? Oh, so many questions...:eek::eek:
They fly with a elephant hot air balloon hot-air-balloon-stock-image-1103345.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Look no further than the shop best known for dressing clerical gents... View attachment 49680
Yes, and if any of you are still having trouble finding red socks, apparently @Kanga has a closetful she wants to get rid of. Call her at #1-800-RED-SOCK to place your order. 😂

Camino(s) past & future
I, too, refuse to race for a bed....I was walking the Frances with my two sons and daughter in law in 2017 and had planned to stop at the Dutch run albergue in Monjardin for the night as I really liked it two years earlier and wanted my "kids" to hike up to the castle ruins after dinner.
As we got to within 2 kilometers of it one person passed us up and a short time later two more walkers passed. My son then commented "Well, there goes 3 of the 4 beds we need." I thought he was joking, but sure enough upon our arrival we saw those three people checking in who had passed us up and when we stepped up to the check in area we were told there was only one bed left! The whole village was "completo" so we were directed to Luquin instead. ☺

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Yes, and if any of you are still having trouble finding red socks, apparently @Kanga has a closetful she wants to get rid of. Call her at #1-800-RED-SOCK to place your order. 😂
I thought that was Santa’s number.

That means.... Kanga is Mrs. 🎅.

Camino(s) past & future
Thats an old one, and they are still looking for red socks on there way to Roncevalles. 😏
Yes, they need red socks with grips on the bottom to prevent slipping in the snow. On the other hand, they aren't even supposed to be walking the Napoleon route in winter! o_O

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%