A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

NOT a serious thread 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Now, all those cups of 'tea' will be very welcome after following the recipe, number 2 of twelve promised to mark the birthday of the thread... I have the book 1080 recipes. I would have broken the spine if I tried to scan it on our little machine. I found a copy online and added in a photo of one of the illustrations, precisely of the dish I had chosen. so, for domigee and everyone else: ¡Que aproveche! Enjoy! (I tried to attach but I couldn't). Copy and paste did the trick.
1544390549478.png Green peppers stuffed with meat
Serves 6

12 green peppers 500ml sunflower oil

300g minced meat (half pork and half beef) 100g Serrano ham, minced

1 slice of bread, crusts removed and soaked in hot milk

1 clove garlic, finely chopped. 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley

1 egg, lightly beaten 1 tbs white wine salt

Sauce

1 large onion, chopped 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and quartered

2 carrots, sliced 1 tbs plain flour

175ml white wine sea salt

Cut out the stalks and remove the seeds from the peppers. Make the filling. If you are mincing the meat yourself, mince the ham at the same time. Otherwise, thoroughly mix the meat and ham together in a bowl. Gently squeeze out the bread, if necessary, and add it to the bowl with the garlic, parsley, egg and wine.

Season with salt and mix well. Fill the peppers with the meat mixture, using a teaspoon, and secure with wooden cocktail sticks. Heat the oil with 2 tablespoons water in a deep frying pan. Add the peppers, three at a time, and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked peppers to a clean saucepan, arranging them in a single layer.

Drain all but about 5 tablespoons of the oil from the frying pan and reheat. Add the onion and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until browned. Add the tomato and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, then stir in the wine and 1 litre water. Simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool a little, then transfer to a food processor, process until smooth and pour into the saucepan of peppers. Season with salt and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water.

Serve in a warm deep dish. This dish can be made in advance and is quite delicious when it is reheated.

Simone and Ines Ortega, 1080 Recipes.

Last edited:
@kirkie

Brilliant 😄 😋

Which page ... or rather, which Recipe Number?

Edit:
Got it!
But .... are all Spanish cookery books arranged in this way?
Recipe numbers for the recipes ..... Page numbers for the photographs .... perhaps they want to make sure those following their instructions have their brains engaged before handling knives and fire ... ???

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
And we have a winner!
91 more posts and we have a jackpot winner (I can imagine @nycwalking's fingers beginning to twitch...)!
Seriously. 8000?!?

My friends who are in the know assure me this is for real:
(There is a happy ending, at least for the seal, if not for the the eel...)

Capture.PNG
So if you hare having a bad day, take heart. It could be worse.

Night y’all ... where’er ye be ...
And good morning!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
91 more posts and we have a jackpot winner!
Seriously. 8000?!?

My friends who are in the know assure me this is for real:
View attachment 49751
So if you hare having a bad day, take heart. It could be worse.
(There is a happy ending, at least for the seal, if not the eel...)

And good morning!
I guess I’d rather be the seal than the eel.

Nearly 6pm here in Lala land.

Good time period to all.

Camino(s) past & future
hahaha

is there any 'uncertain tea'?:p
yaying, this one is a winner! thank you. Speaking of which, one of our fine china mugs was hit on the head by a jam jar yesterday and is now in the bin. I am on the hunt for a replacement. We are rather fussy, and when I find the replacement (the original was a charity shop purchase, and that is where I will be looking!) I will update you. Tea of any description tastes better out of a real fine bone china cup or mug. In my humble opinion. Don't you love that? It is kind of like an insurance policy: you can't argue with me, it is my opinion! I am just being flippant, don't anybody take umbrage. That is also interesting. I just noticed that word has a sort of prefix, then rage. I don't have time now, maybe when I come back someone will have sorted out the query for me...

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Tea of any description tastes better out of a real fine bone china cup or mug. In my humble opinion. Don't you love that? It is kind of like an insurance policy: you can't argue with me, it is my opinion!
Ha! Maybe it does. Unfortunately you can only have so much in one go that way.
So we greed types prefer a bigger mug. (Well of course not considering that there might also be a bone china pot and a nice tea cozy...in which case, well...absolutely the china is better.)
Not to forget the scones. However the jam and cream are layered.;)

And taking umbrage about tea? Never. Some things are too important to take seriously.

Edit...I agree. @yaying wins the internet today with her clever post.:)
No uncertainty there.
But everywhere else?
Uhhhh.....um....

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Yes, Yaying's post was a winner for sure!😀

Kirkie, I too, love charity shops. We call them resale shops, goodwill shops, second hand stores, etc. and they are my favorite way to shop! It's like being in a candy store as I can buy anything I want without guilt....and if I make "mistakes" in my choices, I just donate it back next time I go. 😁

Camino(s) past & future
see u guys all tomorrows... signing off now.
seriously need to find my unserious notes.
I second and third and fourth that motion @yaying wins post-of-the-day. Not to be cornfused with the “remains of the day.”

Your tomorrow is my today.... Or???

Anyway, it’s 5:56am for me.

And, a goodnight to you.

yaying, this one is a winner! thank you. Speaking of which, one of our fine china mugs was hit on the head by a jam jar yesterday and is now in the bin. I am on the hunt for a replacement. We are rather fussy, and when I find the replacement (the original was a charity shop purchase, and that is where I will be looking!) I will update you. Tea of any description tastes better out of a real fine bone china cup or mug. In my humble opinion. Don't you love that? It is kind of like an insurance policy: you can't argue with me, it is my opinion! I am just being flippant, don't anybody take umbrage. That is also interesting. I just noticed that word has a sort of prefix, then rage. I don't have time now, maybe when I come back someone will have sorted out the query for me...
Yours is a serious contender imho .. 😉

@yaying .... Punning in this awkward language ... Respect! ... seriously 😎

Camino(s) past & future
Morning to you @nycwalking in Lala Land!
You are right on time to push this thread over the 8000 edge. We are counting on you.
I will miss the excitement as I'm out of here soon for the night...have fun everyone!
:)
✨🎉🎊🤸‍♀️👏
Um!

I’ve hit two times.

I’m aiming for 10,001!

Camino(s) past & future
Invitation to @Peter Fransiscus to explain how the term “to clog up the works” comes from!
Something else the Dutch gave the English!
Go on Peter...over to you!
I am clearly not Peter, but I quickly found this: https://www.dbnl.org/tekst/vrie035holl01_01/vrie035holl01_01_0013.php

I got as far as a name for a drink but as it is too early in the day, will leave the drink and the rest of my research till I get home from my last literacy class of the term.
Edit: thanks for the lead, Bristle boy.

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Good one, Yaying!! You are a clever gal!
oh that was just luck of my wild guesso_O

p.s.
as i was thinking
why i keep laughing
now i need to say good evening:p
see u guys all tomorrow.

Xmas is everyday
but there is one particular day
like your birthday
or the 12 days
in anyway, highway, by the way

really gtg now:(

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Invitation to @Peter Fransiscus to explain how the term “to clog up the works” comes from!
Something else the Dutch gave the English!
Go on Peter...over to you!
What I know is that Dutch workers trowing their clogs in to machinery to wreck it. ☹☹

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
What I know is that Dutch workers trowing their clogs in to machinery to wreck it. ☹☹
Yes! Sabot, I understand , is the Dutch word for clog. When the Dutch lady workers needed a break they threw a clog into the machinery. This took time to repair and gave us the English word saboteur.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Yes! Sabot, I understand , is the Dutch word for clog. When the Dutch lady workers needed a break they threw a clog into the machinery. This took time to repair and gave us the English word saboteur.
Oh, now I get it! Very interesting. If it could be determined whose clog was thrown in the machinery, said employee would certainly be fired! ...don't carve your initials into those wooden monstrosities! :p

Camino(s) past & future
Another thread count milestone soon and where’s our captain?

Domigee: the fontieress. These are the voyages of the Not Serious Thread. Its long years mission: to seek out red socks and elephants hiding in cherry trees, to seek out new life and adventure around a menagerie of wild life. To boldly go where no camino thread has before gone! Cue sound....

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
Is that similar to marmalade? 😂
Um...yes..cough..splutter..it is! Malarkey needs to be spread on toast really thickly in the morning..it’s great for sharing and....it’s 10 percent off at the 24/7 so get there quick!
P.s don’t forget this is the not serious thread!
Malarkey is another word for nonsense! 😂

Camino(s) past & future
Um...yes..cough..splutter..it is! Malarkey needs to be spread on toast really thickly in the morning..it’s great for sharing and....it’s 10 percent off at the 24/7 so get there quick!
P.s don’t forget this is the not serious thread!
Malarkey is another word for nonsense! 😂
Walmart down the street around the corner then around more streets is 24/7.

I’ll make haste without waste and get there asap for some Malarkey marmalade.

Question: orange or apricot flavored?

Camino(s) past & future
BB, I hope you didn't take me for a dummy on my reply. It was just a pun, you know...nonsense! (On the other hand, I can be a dummy at times.) 😦
There are no dummies on this tread.

We all talk to much via our fingers to qualify.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Marmite malarkey is the best...you either love it or hate it! 😂😂🤪
Speaking of marmite, now that was something I had no clue about when Kanga on another thread a year ago mentioned it and a discussion ensued between those "in the know" and very opinionated about it. I was 'lost' reading the posts, so asked what marmite was. Their description sounded like a very awful version of peanut butter, which I love...I prefer mine crunchy! 😀

Edit: I've never had marmite, but truth be known, I hate orange marmalade since I was a kid...give me any other jam, but NOT that!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 126 15.4%
  • May

Votes: 198 24.2%