A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

2020 Camino Guides

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Which has to be the right side... 😁
Right, wrong, wrong, right, left, right, right, left...I'm getting confused :eek:!
I think I'm just gonna drive down the middle of the road. That ought'a solve the problem for me.
⤴↔⤵ 🚫❌💥🔥.

Peter Fransiscus

Be proud of who you are.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
BB, do you watch that webcam 24/7...how you know so much about it? I heard that "What happens on Abbey road, stays on Abbey road".
Enjoy.....

Beatles' Abbey Road zebra crossing given listed status
22 December 2010

The crossing is described as a Mecca for Beatles fans
The Abbey Road zebra crossing in north London - made famous after appearing on a Beatles album cover - has been given Grade II listed status.

The crossing - the first of its kind to be listed - is being recognised for its "cultural and historical importance" following advice from English Heritage.

The Beatles were photographed on Abbey Road in Ian Macmillan's iconic cover shot for the 1969 album Abbey Road.

Sir Paul McCartney said it was the "icing on the cake" in a great year.

'Huge cultural pull'
The original zebra crossing, where the photograph was taken, was moved several metres for traffic management reasons more than 30 years ago, and no original features remain.

A spokesman for Westminster City Council said: "The detail of exactly when and why the crossing was moved from its original location have been lost in the annals of time.

"But by comparing photographs with the Ordnance Survey maps, we believe that the crossing might have been further north nearer 3 Abbey Road, which was the front house of the EMI Studios, because the steps of Neville Court appear to the right of the crossing in original photographs of the crossing, whereas the present crossing is near the junction of Abbey Road and Grove End Road."

But John Penrose, Minister for Tourism and Heritage, said: "This London zebra crossing is no castle or cathedral but, thanks to the Beatles and a 10-minute photo-shoot one August morning in 1969, it has just as strong a claim as any to be seen as part of our heritage."

Roger Bowdler, head of designation at English Heritage, said: "This is obviously an unusual case and, although a modest structure, the crossing has international renown and continues to possess huge cultural pull - the temptation to recreate that iconic 1969 album cover remains as strong as ever.

"Together with the nearby Abbey Road studios, also listed at Grade II on our advice, they remain a Mecca for Beatles fans the world over."

Sir Paul said: "It's been a great year for me and a great year for the Beatles and hearing that the Abbey Road crossing is to be preserved is the icing on the cake."

The crossing is outside the Abbey Road studios, where the Beatles recorded much of their output.

That building was granted Grade II listed status in February.

A Grade II listing, the most common protected status, means that a building or monument is recognised as nationally important and of special interest.

Media captionMatt Cooke explains why the crossing has become a place of pilgrimage where people re-enact the image on the Abbey Road album

Peter Fransiscus

Be proud of who you are.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Which kind of retirement can you come back from? The Arrow of Time is pointing in one direction only - we'll all meet at the destination - and have FUN! :p
Ok serious now , I can go back to work when I want .The retirement the Godfather gave to people was FINAL as in being dead .😞

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
BB, you just took my spot before I hit send!...Quit that!!! 😕 Oh well, I'm eating that donut anyway! 😛
I'll have a pumpkin latte to go with it. 🎃☕

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances SJPP / 2014 Camino Portugues / 2015 Camino Ingles / 2015 Hospitalero Training
2016 (fall) Camino Sanabre / Hospitalero?
There must be a rule against that. But I bet there is no rule about hanging a hammock between a sink faucet and a shower door.
Best not the first sink and shower or an occupied toilet stall. Could be problematic.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Yep...there are nights when the kitchen table and sharing your sleeping bag with uninvited guests leaves you feeling....I just wish the albergue had been full!

View attachment 65753
Anyone remember a “B” horror movie called Squirms?

In movie houses in the 70’s.

About rogue killer worms creeping into beds, showers, and....

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I walked over a small bridge in France on the Le Puy route. It was a much smaller puzzle Eiffel put together. I heard that one only took him two days to complete.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
That may be how but there is a difference of opinion about the why. He had a private love nest up there (by urban legend anyway). I suppose he was pretty successful.
I think his love nest was on top of that tall stack of bunk beds.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Much more accurate portrayal of Turga. I don't think tortoise's swim, but maybe I should google just to be sure. 😛
Just checked...nope, he can't swim. Turga has missed out on lots of fun over his hundred years he's lived so far...poor land rover that he is.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021"
Nice to be remembered :)

Darn work keeps interfering with my play time (but then, something has to pay for 6 weeks of Camino and all the related logistics so I can't complain too much)

Oh come ON, Chrissy!!!!! Sing the song - it does not get easier than that ;)

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
And if you want some fun....
try singing karaoke in Spanish
Obla-di obla-da
Ok, Buffy, I'll sing it...are you telling me that I already know some Spanish!😅
Still don't get the photo...maybe it's all about the RED!...Bet that's it!

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021"
Spanish had nothing to do with the picture (that was a totally different "thingy" although with another lyric line attached to it)

Obla-di Obla-da Life goes on.... BRA! (some lyrics have it as "brah") but here you go lady! In red....LOL...Lady in Red.... HA HA HA)

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.3%