A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
Camino PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C Franconia 2019
Camino desde Algeciras Sevillia (2019)
Good grief no! English vocabulary is 50% Germanic, 50% French the rest is made up of Latin and whatever words we managed to steal over the past 900 or so years. ;)
The rules are entirely home grown and hence the reason why chairs are not feminine, beds are not masculine and we never have to remember whether to use der das die die den das die die des des der der dem dem der or den* when we want to say the word "the" (unless we are learning German or re-learning in my case and it isn't any easier the second time around!) :eek:

Esperanto is much easier!

* Native German speakers should feel free to correct me if I've left any out
Wow you have a great vocabulary in English. It seems more than 100 % . chapeaux.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Or before your hubby returns home!
Kirkie, I was reading some posts I'd missed and this one reminded me of a lovely Christian song from the 1970's. It was made famous by the gospel band, " Petra", but the song was written by a personal friend of ours, Dave Eden. He wrote it for his first born, a boy born with a physical handicap. If you read the words or listen to the utube (I'm not good at attaching) you will see how truly special it is. For those who may take the time to look, you will be blessed, churched and unchurched alike! (Hope it is not too religious, although it does swing that way a little.)
View attachment 52401View attachment 52403

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I know perfectly well that a tortoise is a slow moving land creature and they can live to be 100+ years old (are ya getting close yet, Turga?) A turtle on the other hand is different and mostly a water creature. I decided to use my google translate on the two words to see if they each had a different identifying word in Spanish. Nope, the word tortuga is used for both. How can that be? I was hoping to be enlightened, but hit a dead end.
Sabes, podrías enseñarme a surfear, y te enseñaría la diferencia entre una tortuga y un galápago.

You know, you can teach me how to surf, and I'll teach you the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.

Islas de los galapagos.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Sabes, podrías enseñarme a surfear, y te enseñaría la diferencia entre una tortuga y un galápago.

You know, you can teach me how to surf, and I'll teach you the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.

Islas de los galapagos.
I already know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise, but apparently Spanish people think they are one and the same!😛

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I already know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise, but apparently Spanish people think they are one and the same!😛
Sure, I know you know the taxonomy but I'm giving you the vocabulary. Our tortoises are Spain's galapagos. And freshwater turtles are tortugas de aqua dulce.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Sure, I know you know the taxonomy but I'm giving you the vocabulary. Our tortoises are Spain's galapagos. And freshwater turtles are tortugas de aqua dulce.
Ohh, thanks, Rick! I'm not trusting my Google translate any more! And now we need to rename Turga...Gala!😛
P.S. So the Galapagos islands are really Tortoise Islands...interesting!

Last edited:

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
oh my.... i was with a friends house yesterday, which smell detol unfortunately which makes me feel still at a workplace.... and now 'pax' is around 100.... times to be heard at my workplace.🙃
I have no idea what you just said, Yaying! I'm confused.

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
harrrrrrrrr..... reading & liking later.....

Bless us all, not in material thing or getting what we wanted but realizing there is something in what we need.

love u all guyssss nyti nyti @Camino Chris & @nycwalking

morning @Peter Fransiscus

p.s.
@Bristle boy peace
9:30pm in Los Angeles.

Yesterday, it snowed in parts of SoCal other than the mtns. Nice.

Night, morning, afternoon to others.

❤❤❤

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
red from orange.
reminds me of the conversation i have with 11yrs old yesterday... his telling me about rgb color which i thought something about robot and got corrected that maroon was something more that brownish than redo_O to end his lecture to me i said honey, pardon me, remember that i know only one blue:rolleyes:🥺😥😓😭

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
oh what does it mean?
Hi there!

Kumbaya is a slightly hackneyed (hackneyed = overused, trite) song popular among some Christian groups and, accompanied by guitar, around camp fires (it's an easy song to play and often one of the first guitar players get to learn).

If you're going to listen to it you should hear it from somebody with a decent voice so: here's Joan Baez singing it for you - enjoy!

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Hi there!

Kumbaya is a slightly hackneyed (hackneyed = overused, trite) song popular among some Christian groups and, accompanied by guitar, around camp fires (it's an easy song to play and often one of the first guitar players get to learn).

If you're going to listen to it you should hear it from somebody with a decent voice so: here's Joan Baez singing it for you - enjoy!
oh my! her voice makes my skin hair bumps thanks mr. @Jeff Crawley

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I took tap dancing lessons as a girl and that song was one we had to dance in rythym to...memories.
I loved my tap classes.

Well, it’s 3:41 in the small hours of the morning.

In the wee hours of the morning.

Back to sleep I go.

Night.😴😴😴

Camino(s) past & future
How about a wonderful glass of Port from Sandeman Cellars in Porto. A large majority of pilgrims begin the Portuguese camino in this beautiful city! I start from there in early May!
View attachment 52458
We were fairly abstemious while walking, so missed out on temptations such as this lovely looking liquid. Did I say that I lost my hat walking around just before reaching the Port area...the string just gave. Ah well, nothing lasts forever. Back to Ozymandias in the desert. Lost? See if Google Earth shows him....!

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
We were fairly abstemious while walking, so missed out on temptations such as this lovely looking liquid. Did I say that I lost my hat walking around just before reaching the Port area...the string just gave. Ah well, nothing lasts forever. Back to Ozymandias in the desert. Lost? See if Google Earth shows him....!
You know, Kirkie, I may have seen your hat bouncing around in the wind while I was there!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
On a more serious note, I have just read the article on Tony Foulds, the man who was instrumental in getting the ball rolling for the military flyover at Sheffield Park in England. He was a young 8 year old boy playing in the park with friends when a WW2 US pilot turned away as they were about to crash diverting the plane into the woods instead of the greenspace in the park, sparing the children.
The NBC evening news here in the US just broadcast a segment on this a few minutes ago.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
isn't look like the imprint on that wine glass chris was using?
Yes, I do believe you found Kirkie's hat!... Yaying, I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are a treasure on this thread. You truly delight me and make me laugh!

Peter Fransiscus

Camino(s) past & future
Camino(s) past & future
Love the creativity above, Peter. Woke as usual, and as usual, because i was aware of being awake, reached for the daily words:Thank You. Then for some reason thought of the name of a spot on a road in Scotland, so here it is: Rest and Be Thankful. Lovely, isn’t it?

Peter Fransiscus

Camino(s) past & future
Love the creativity above, Peter. Woke as usual, and as usual, because i was aware of being awake, reached for the daily words:Thank You. Then for some reason thought of the name of a spot on a road in Scotland, so here it is: Rest and Be Thankful. Lovely, isn’t it?
Lovely indeed , thank you for sharing. 🙏🌞

Camino(s) past & future
Hmmm, I think that person who made those needs to find a new hobby...like spending way too much time on the forum like me!😛
I will actually copy that centrepiece some fine day, next birthday we celebrate, in fact! Our temporary community member, from Poland, has a birthday on March 6th. Lent, well, let’s see! I think Jansen has already received more than enough dues.
Now, stop! Remember, I am a grasshopper and move rapidly from one topic to the next. So, Lent: there is a poem that I love to read when Lent raises its head:
To Keep a True Lent
by Robert Herrick

Is this a fast, to keep
The larder lean ?
And clean
From fat of veals and sheep ?

Is it to quit the dish
Of flesh, yet still
To fill
The platter high with fish ?

Is it to fast an hour,
Or ragg’d to go,
Or show
A downcast look and sour ?

No ; ‘tis a fast to dole
Thy sheaf of wheat,
And meat,
Unto the hungry soul.

It is to fast from strife,
From old debate
And hate ;
To circumcise thy life.

To show a heart grief-rent ;
To starve thy sin,
Not bin ;
And that’s to keep thy Lent.
That is why I can wish you each and all: Happy Lent. Seriously.
I know it is coming soon, so I must be ready! Ready to stop and say: to fast thy sin, not bin ....

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
I will actually copy that centrepiece some fine day, next birthday we celebrate, in fact! Our temporary community member, from Poland, has a birthday on March 6th. Lent, well, let’s see! I think Jansen has already received more than enough dues.
Now, stop! Remember, I am a grasshopper and move rapidly from one topic to the next. So, Lent: there is a poem that I love to read when Lent raises its head:
To Keep a True Lent
by Robert Herrick

Is this a fast, to keep
The larder lean ?
And clean

Is it to quit the dish
Of flesh, yet still
To fill

Is it to fast an hour,
Or ragg’d to go,
Or show

No ; ‘tis a fast to dole
Thy sheaf of wheat,
And meat,
Unto the hungry soul.

From old debate
And hate ;
To circumcise thy life.

To starve thy sin,
Not bin ;
I know it is coming soon, so I must be ready! Ready to stop and say: to fast thy sin, not bin ....

i not contented just clicking the emojo....but really wow...
thanks @kirkie ill share it with the kids

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Nothing wrong with being honest, Peter. We are all different! Do you have a favorite "something"?
Oh, and btw, Peter, you are supposed to just sip it and roll it around in your tongue before swallowing...maybe if you wouldn't have gulped it down, you may have enjoyed it a little more! 😃

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
To Keep a True Lent
by Robert Herrick

Is this a fast, to keep
The larder lean ?
And clean

Is it to quit the dish
Of flesh, yet still
To fill

Is it to fast an hour,
Or ragg’d to go,
Or show

No ; ‘tis a fast to dole
Thy sheaf of wheat,
And meat,
Unto the hungry soul.

From old debate
And hate ;
To circumcise thy life.

To starve thy sin,
Not bin ;
Thank you.
🙏🏽❤😊

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
I am April 19th...shhh!
Heavens above Chris ....
Another Aries!!

I'm April 3rd........just missed fools day though!! ...whew!!
But from what mum told me ....should have been a Taures......was in too much of a hurry to get going.....nothing has changed much there since then I'm afraid!!!

Peter Fransiscus

Camino(s) past & future
Just catching up here
Bristle boy..love the red socks

Do you think they would go well with my red shoelaces!?
No chance of these boots getting lost ...or me for that matter!!View attachment 52489
I have one point on my to do list for the La Plata and that is red shoelaces . Seriously.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.7%