A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Medley: Spring is sprung, the grass is green, where have all the fairies been...
Then, shoes! Ah! Shoes. First, a top mark score to the Great Outdoors, Dublin 2. Will this get me axed? I bought a new pair of Meindl shoes there on 29th December. (How do I know the date? I almost know the time... ) When I began to wear them, once the weather picked up, what did I hear only: step, click, step, click, step click. Finally, yesterday i had a chance to call in to the shop. Nice young man with biblical name (Aaron) did his best to identify the problem. End result: if you can find your receipt.... So, this morning, 30 seconds before official opening time, the security guard let me in. I tripped up to the shoe section. Grainne, the wonderful assistant who sold me the shoes in the first place, knew I would be back... so we looked meaningfully at each other. I said: half good, half bad. No receipt, but I know they were bought after Christmas and before 18th January. I had checked my accounts page on my computer. Sadly, I had dumped my receipt. In rag time, someone at the till had located the purchase and produced the receipt! Yes! So, very few minutes later, mise le meas (Irish for me, myself and I ) walked cheerfully out of the shop with - a replacement pair of shoes, minus a donation to a mountain rescue charity, and the knowledge that my clickety shoes were going to be given to a homeless shelter, cleaned up. I had hardly worn them.
As modern lingo goes, what’s not to like???!!!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Wild? You wouldn't want to make one angry - viscious little things!

Many years ago I worked on a highway project and there was a lot of effort put in to leaving your mark behind at the end of a project- you were not allowed to leave signboards up for too long (safety issues).

One engineer (not me) had the bright idea of planting daffodils in a pattern resembling the company's logo in the sloping grass bank alongside the motorway.

Every spring for many years the letters

View attachment 53996

for Balfour Beatty would magically appear in bright yellow letters 30 feet high.
I think those letters stand for our very own BB and you are just jesting, Jeff!
Daffodils are never 30 feet high, usually only one foot high! 😂

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
By the way Jeff, please tell me where that “sale” is...I’ve got the kids upside down and giving them a good shake!

Edit: I work to a “two second rule”. What hits the ground is mine!
I'm not sure, but isn't it hard to hang adult kids upside down! Maybe I just assumed you are an old guy from your online persona!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Thaaaaaaaank you.

A good while back, sometime last year. When I saw a rainbow, I just knew the Almighty was telling me: the night storms are over, and joy in the morning is on the way.

Peter,
It’s 7:49am, you’ve made my day!
He made my day, too! He's another forum jewel, to be sure!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Medley: Spring is sprung, the grass is green, where have all the fairies been...
Then, shoes! Ah! Shoes. First, a top mark score to the Great Outdoors, Dublin 2. Will this get me axed? I bought a new pair of Meindl shoes there on 29th December. (How do I know the date? I almost know the time... ) When I began to wear them, once the weather picked up, what did I hear only: step, click, step, click, step click. Finally, yesterday i had a chance to call in to the shop. Nice young man with biblical name (Aaron) did his best to identify the problem. End result: if you can find your receipt.... So, this morning, 30 seconds before official opening time, the security guard let me in. I tripped up to the shoe section. Grainne, the wonderful assistant who sold me the shoes in the first place, knew I would be back... so we looked meaningfully at each other. I said: half good, half bad. No receipt, but I know they were bought after Christmas and before 18th January. I had checked my accounts page on my computer. Sadly, I had dumped my receipt. In rag time, someone at the till had located the purchase and produced the receipt! Yes! So, very few minutes later, mise le meas (Irish for me, myself and I ) walked cheerfully out of the shop with - a replacement pair of shoes, minus a donation to a mountain rescue charity, and the knowledge that my clickety shoes were going to be given to a homeless shelter, cleaned up. I had hardly worn them.
Kirkie, I bought a pair of sandals when shopping with a friend last summer. They were very comfortable in the store and I often have a hard time finding comfy shoes, so I paid twice what I normally do because they were also very cute. Also, shopping with a girlfriend always results in spending more...why is that? Anyway, the first time I wore them, one of the shoes made a sound like air escaping with every step. I would have returned them but the store was 50 miles away. Yes, I still have them and wear them. Every step is...step, swoosh, step, swoosh, step, swoosh. I "think" I am going on vacation in the heat of July and those sandals will be coming with me...they are just so cute!

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I am ignorant of Coca Cola and Red Bull. No inclination to become educated on either score. Anyway, what’s the point? I have just jumped in, as some people say, redundantly, irregardless...
Ignorant of Coke, ignorant of Coke.

OMGOODNESS.😶

On camino number two in 2002 my fellow pilgrims jokingly called me Ms. Coca-Cola. I am decaffeinated.

But, the taste of an ice cold coke burning the back of your throat as it goes down. Used to love it.

Red Bull never tried; no caffeine I.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Ignorant of Coke, ignorant of Coke.

OMGOODNESS.😶

On camino number two in 2002 my fellow pilgrims jokingly called me Ms. Coca-Cola. I am decaffeinated.

But, the taste of an ice cold coke burning the back of your throat as it goes down. Used to love it.

Red Bull never tried; no caffeine I.
I prefer water, but I can enjoy a diet Coke or orange Fanta on the Camino...but they must have lots of ice in a glass or I'd rather not have the drink!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Coke is!

CC, don’t you remember jingle from the 70’s.

It’s the real thing, Coke is....

Song about that wonderful soda in the red can white the white stripe.
Yes, I think I do remember it!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Brilliant Kirkie
Good for you
The luck of the Irish....
Sorry I forgot...
The luck of the Scottish lady living in Ireland ...

Now for the song......"she wears them well" ....Rod Stewart ...he's not one of my favourites. ..Charlie loves his music though

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
So true Rick ...so true ..
Well said
Yes, the luck of the Irish, having that special lady, Kirkie, living in Ireland! I would love to meet you, "S"! It would definately be Camino magic for me!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I prefer water, but I can enjoy a diet Coke or orange Fanta on the Camino...but they must have lots of ice in a glass or I'd rather not have the drink!
There is a song I'm not too familiar with. It says something like this..."It's all about the base", but I say this... "It's all about the ice!"

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
NYC, I have no idea what your above picture is really all about or if it's a riddle, but its title has me thinking about the 4 photos, so here are the songs that came to my mind...
1. "Gonna wash that man right outta my HAIR"
2. "RAINDROPS keep falling on my head"
3. "When you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go..DOWNtown"
4. "We are the World" -USA for AFRICA
(I think I only got one right, but I had fun trying anyway!) 😂

Camino(s) past & future
NYC, I have no idea what your above picture is really all about or if it's a riddle, but its title has me thinking about the 4 photos, so here are the songs that came to my mind...
1. "Gonna wash that man right outta my HAIR"
2. "RAINDROPS keep falling on my head"
3. "When you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go..DOWNtown"
4. "We are the World" -USA for AFRICA
(I think I only got one right, but I had fun trying anyway!) 😂
I envy your creativity - both of you actually! And Chris: no problem. Just ask the Captain of the ship to touch down into Dublin en route...

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I envy your creativity - both of you actually! And Chris: no problem. Just ask the Captain of the ship to touch down into Dublin en route...
Ah,

But you are our sunshine our lovely sunshine.

And, please don’t ever take our sunshine away.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Those skechers and the red carpet are certainly not mine. 😉
I know, Peter! What I meant was that it was soo very appropriate for a good reply that it could have been one you pulled out of your own sleeve!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Uhhh, wouldn't that be the Captain of the plane? Yes, I will ask him...what a great idea!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
It's not only the crowd but the SMOMBIE aswell..
These signs should be posted everywhere!! My sister in law fell down some steps and broke her ankle doing exactly that...walking and texting at the same time. It's dangerous and not limited to car accidents only!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
It's a rebus.
I bless the rains down in Africa

Link to the pictures: pictures
I had to look up rebus as I've never heard the word. I pressed your link but nothing new came up beyond the original photo.
That is really cool. So it wasn't a song at all...only a clever sentence. Did you figure that out yourself, or cheat?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I had to look up rebus as I've never heard the word. I pressed your link but nothing new came up beyond the original photo.
That is really cool. So it wasn't a song at all...only a clever sentence. Did you figure that out yourself, or cheat?
Yeah, everyone has seen a rebus but the name is used often. The link was supposed to you to NYC's post. Got it by my clever little self. The rebus was for a line from the song Africa.

Camino(s) past & future
You guys are all so smart... and from another thread, why did I not know about this beautiful gift in the person of Sissel Kyrkjebø before now? a voice that tears right through to the essence of everything. Some people already knew about her. And there I was, all in the dark...
I am going to post this here: can't post on where did you walk, as I was driving, but I had a beautiful drive in full spring glory down to Glendalough this morning. And now, one of our beloved elders, one hundred years old, has breathed her last. As I type, she is being celebrated before the undertakers come to take her to the College Of Surgeons. I want that to happen for me too. Not yet, though. I have 29 years to go if I am to reach Bridie's great age!
Be not afraid, folks. Breathe and smile while ye may. And yes, have a coke, or a red bull, or a glass of Tinto...

Last edited:

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
These signs should be posted everywhere!! My sister in law fell down some steps and broke her ankle doing exactly that...walking and texting at the same time. It's dangerous and not limited to car accidents only!
Over here cyclist do the same in large numbers .
When someone use his phone in a car , the fine is €230,=.
The fine for use the phone on a bike is not know yet .

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Over here cyclist do the same in large numbers .
When someone use his phone in a car , the fine is €230,=.
The fine for use the phone on a bike is not know yet .
A few years back a woman crossing a NYC street was so busy texting she stepped right in front of a truck and died.

I saw the body covered with a sheet.

Take care with these phones.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Beautiful photos, Peter, and I love the daffodils! Your spring in the Netherlands (is that the same as Holland?) comes several weeks earlier than ours. I live a hundred miles from Chicago...nothing green or colorful yet.

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
Beautiful photos, Peter, and I love the daffodils! Your spring in the Netherlands (is that the same as Holland?) comes several weeks earlier than ours. I live a hundred miles from Chicago...nothing green or colorful yet.
The Netherlands is devided in 12 provinces , and two off them are called North and South-Holland .map-netherlands.png

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
The Netherlands is devided in 12 provinces , and two off them are called North and South-Holland .View attachment 54061
No wonder I have always been confused!
If all twelve provinces in the Netherlands are "created equal", why have I never heard of any of them before, except for Holland?😲

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
For those of us stateside.

APOC is currently live on FB.

I believe they’ll go live throughout gathering. I guess that is until 30TH of the month.
Unfortunately I'm not on FB, a decision I'd made a long time ago for me. The Camino forum is about all I can invest my time in online and still have a life with my family and responsibilities at home. This is not to say there is anything wrong with FB...there is nothing wrong with it. I am in the minority I'm sure.

Camino(s) past & future
Unfortunately I'm not on FB, a decision I'd made a long time ago for me. The Camino forum is about all I can invest my time in online and still have a life with my family and responsibilities at home. This is not to say there is anything wrong with FB...there is nothing wrong with it. I am in the minority I'm sure.
I am in the same minority

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Thanks for sharing.
A few years back a woman crossing a NYC street was so busy texting she stepped right in front of a truck and died.

I saw the body covered with a sheet.

Take care with these phones.
A good admonition to be careful when using our phones. They can be turned from something that is a positive in our lives to one big negative in a hurry...yikes!

Last edited:

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Toto was Dorothy’s dog in the “Wizard of Oz”...now she wore red shoes.
She sure did.

Since, I am at already home with mama I don’t need them to get home.

But, I would love to be shod in those shoes, click my heels thrice, and arrive in Sevilla to begin VdlP: as soon as possible!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
She sure did.

Since, I am at already home with mama I don’t need them to get home.

But, I would love to be shod in those shoes, click my heels thrice, and arrive in Sevilla to begin VdlP: as soon as possible!
I hear ya, NYC! I wish for you the VdlP in your not too distant future! Keep dreaming and click your heels together, no matter what Nike's you are wearing and it will one day come to pass!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Tom, what a big surprise to have you invade this thread with a "like"! 😅

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Brilliant. 🤣🤣🤣
Tom and I met up a couple of weeks ago for a nice chat. He met you last year, Peter, in the Pilgrim's office. Small world quite often...especially as it relates to forum pilgrims!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Wikipedia:

In L. Frank Baum's original novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900), on which the film is based, Dorothy wears Silver Shoes. However, the color of the shoes was changed to red to take advantage of the new Technicolor film process used in big-budget Hollywood films of the era. Film screenwriter Noel Langley is credited with the idea.
Rick, you are a wealth of knowledge, right up there with Tom, Jeff and Dave...and there are others, too, but my memory fails me at the moment!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Rick, you are a wealth of knowledge, right up there with Tom, Jeff and Dave...and there are others, too, but my memory fails me at the moment!
Don't forget Katharina.

My usual response to questions like "You remember when ...?" is "No". But facts that I've read seem to stick around for a long time.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Don't forget Katharina.

My usual response to questions like "You remember when ...?" is "No". But facts that I've read seem to stick around for a long time.
Oh, yes, she is amazing...on all things historical...and then some! There are many others, too. I always particularly like Tinky's input!

Last edited:

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
As the warmer weather draws close (in Europe at least) it's time to think "summer footwear" and, no surprise, sandals are becoming more and more fashionable. In that light I offer you these (from today's Guardian newspaper)

View attachment 53974

A snip at just £440/€514/US$577 a pair.
couldn't find to express emoji.....me being frugal!

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
Tom and I met up a couple of weeks ago for a nice chat. He met you last year, Peter, in the Pilgrim's office. Small world quite often...especially as it relates to forum pilgrims!
It's indeed a small world, always nice to meet forum members face to face.

Camino(s) past & future
Tom, what a big surprise to have you invade this thread with a "like"! 😅
Dare I ask????
Who is Tom?
My grandson is called Tom, but he's not the forum Tom!

Camino(s) past & future
I'm Tom! (named after my Grandfather) . . . hoping to start off an "I'm Spartacus" theme here
I can't stop chuckling here!!
And here was I thinking your name was Jeff!!

Goes to show you how much I know/don't know

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Coke is!

Back in the 1970s VW decided to relaunch their wartime Kübelwagen - rebranded as the VW Thing and aimed at the Californian market:

So one breaks down along the Pacific Coast Highway and a CHP officer comes along to find the engine compartment open and the driver standing there, scratching his head.
"What seems to be the problem, Sir?"
"Well I ran out of gas and all I had was this case of Coca-Cola so I put that in the tank and it still won't run!"
"You put Coke in your gas tank? Why on earth would you do that?"
The driver pointed to a nearby billboard which stated "Things go better with Coke!"

(Copyright The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson circa 1975)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Coke is!

The next time you pop open a red can ponder on these facts:

Coca-Cola uses 9 liters of drinking water to produce just 2 liters of Coke*.
To produce the ingredients (sugar cane etc.) for that same 2 liters takes 600 liters of water
But this palls into insignificance when you consider that the manufacture of a single pair of LEVI jeans consumes a staggering 2270 liters of water

And we wonder why there are water shortages around the world!

*other sodas are available that are just as bad.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I can't stop chuckling here!!
And here was I thinking your name was Jeff!!

Goes to show you how much I know/don't know
I don't trust this Jeff/Tom character! He's always stirring the pot. If he's not lying, then I'll wager that Tom is his middle name...after his grandfather!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
The next time you pop open a red can ponder on these facts:

Coca-Cola uses 9 liters of drinking water to produce just 2 liters of Coke*.
To produce the ingredients (sugar cane etc.) for that same 2 liters takes 600 liters of water
But this palls into insignificance when you consider that the manufacture of a single pair of LEVI jeans consumes a staggering 2270 liters of water

And we wonder why there are water shortages around the world!

*other sodas are available that are just as bad.
I'm glad I gave up pop/soda for the most part about 15 years ago. Give me a nice glass of cold water with lots of ice and I'm a happy, refreshed woman! I'm easy to please...most of the time!😛

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I am, without a doubt, a Thomas - but not a twin!

Godefridum Thomam according to my Compostelas.
Wow, Jeff! If my compostela had a name like that written on it I don't think I'd ever walk to Santiago again!

Camino(s) past & future
Jeffrey Thomas Crawley

It's caused confusion in Spain because of the patronym/matronym thing. I have been address, in the past, as Senor Tomas!
So now I've got it!
Jeffrey Thomas who comes from Crawley in Sussex......yes yes I know!
If yours causes confusion in Spain, then mine causes confusion EVERYWHERE!

I was christened Bridget Antoinette ....but always called Annette....so official documents were signed BA.and ..initially when working, my name badge would say Bridget.......
"Hi Bridget"
"Call me Annette"
"But your name badge says Annette!"
Ah, don't take any notice of that"

So I had to take it off and get a new one with Annette ......problem solved
Previously, at confirmation...another name but we won't go into that
And some years later, in another situation.....I was given a 4th name ...we won't go into that either

This was the done thing in Ireland at the time so not sure if this tradition still stands
My sister had the same problem
When the girls were born.........did I follow this tradition?
Not on your Nelly!!!

Mind you last week when I phoned the dentist...
"What's your name"?
"Well I could have registered as Annette...or maybe Bridget"
"I can't remember now"!

And so,, it continues.......

Camino(s) past & future
Chris, you can't confuse me like this you know

Jeff just told me that he's the Tom of the forum
And BB mentioned doubting Thomas
And my grandson is another Tom
Now you've brought another Tom into the equation!

That's it folks ...as Tom of Tom and Jerry says in the cartoons ...I'm off to get some sun on this bright and sunny day
See you later alligator...and best wishes to all Toms wherever they may be

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 253 25.0%