A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

I am on a trip with my dad and his lady friend.

For decades they’ve driven up north: Los. Angeles to San Francisco for Easter.

Four yeas ago both were too old for train or plane or drive an automobile.

We just checked in.

I could not unpack before checking our thread.

I will say a few prayers for this treat.

Next time others can have some fun.

Night from San Fran.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
What an awesome and fun picture Davey! Made me smile big! Did you take the photo?
Nice to see you here. I enjoy reading your posts and remember following your route from Geneva down through Le Puy and beyond. It was a good read!

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
What an awesome and fun picture Davey! Made me smile big! Did you take the photo?
Nice to see you here. I enjoy reading your posts and remember following your route from Geneva down through Le Puy and beyond. It was a good read!
No, not my pic (really wish I was there though)! Apparently it is the 'Servants Of The Lord Virgin Of Matara nearing Santiago'. If I remember rightly a few years ago. Yeah its a great picture!

Glad you liked the blog!

Davey

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS

A basket of flowers from sunny England
Have a lovely days walking image.jpeg

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS

A basket of flowers from sunny England
Have a lovely days walking View attachment 55426
Thank you, Annette! So nice of you to remember...you still have a sharp mind and a funny wit!
The flowers are lovely! I know you enjoy gardening...are they from your own?

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
No, not my pic (really wish I was there though)! Apparently it is the 'Servants Of The Lord Virgin Of Matara nearing Santiago'. If I remember rightly a few years ago. Yeah its a great picture!

Glad you liked the blog!

Davey
P.S. Oh, and by the way, now that you are "here" we may not let you leave! 😉 😂

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
imagine the sea, Chris. Well, a different stretch of it from your trip at the moment. I will send you a photo later. I am just about awake, the laziest morning I have had in many years! so nice to know that these days are sure to bring some thought provoking and beautiful greetings from some of you. Be careful today, just that: full of care.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Good Friday.
@kirkie is at the beach, and the rest of us are wherever we are...and it is Chris's birthday!
And you are on the Camino, Chris - living into your name. Happy birthday! May you have a special day.
And @nycwalking, now you are for the moment sfcwalking. Enjoy them hills.
It is so sweet of you to take your Pop and his friend up there.
I feel like this about all that:
Happy Nuns!
Big grin.
We are all very lucky...and it is all a gift that won't last forever. Treasure the moment, everyone.

Camino(s) past & future
Good Friday for the jellyfish... a pillowy sky... times for riding horses on the strand... view...speed for vehicles on the strand...back of the house we are staying in these few days. As I only walked very little, I will not claim the right to post this on the where did you walk thread! And by the way, my keen sandals, which I hate from an aesthetic point of view! - did the job very well, even when covered by a wave as I was cleaning my little shell for my summer camino..here it is, beside my keyring to show you it is quite small.
Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 11.23.48.png

IMG_3654.JPGIMG_3655.JPGIMG_3657.JPGIMG_3658.JPGIMG_3660.JPGfullsizeoutput_7c0.jpeg

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Happy birthday CC to sunny Portugal from even sunnier Ingerland.
Hope you have a lovely birthday.

🎂
Awww, thank you BB! The birthdays now are the ones I don't like any more at all, but I appreciate the well wishes!
No sun today, just a blanket of white(ish) couds! On the bus towards Porto Covo. We start the "real" walking tomorrow!
P.S. Why would England be called Ingerland...or is it something else??

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
For those of you who are not going to walk a Camino in the near future, there may be some consolation in following this recipe (adopted from a thread by @+@^^ from 2011):

How to achieve the Camino feeling from your very own home and neighborhood:

Sit outside your front door for 3 hours every afternoon, pretending to wait for somebody to unlock the door.

Shower for no more than 2 minutes in luke warm water with one hand holding the shower door shut and the other on the tap to constantly adjust temperature while washing your hair. Dry yourself inside the shower cubicle, avoiding the drip and not slipping over in your crocs. Use only 1/3 of a towel.

Wash your clothes by hand in the basin using the same sliver of soap you just showered and washed your hair with. Hang all items on the outside line using 3 pegs only. Remember to collect your washing and rehang around your bunk bed just before it gets dark; adjust so you do not get dripped on.

Purchase a second hand metal double bunk bed with a firm spring base and a soft spring base; rotate sleeping up and down. Use a pillow made from your fleece stuffed with old clothes; alternatively use the worst pillow you have ever had.

Or sleep in a sleeping bag in a different room of the house each night, on a thin plastic mattress, and covered by the blanket the dog normally sleeps on (if you do not have a dog, a blanket that has been left outside for a year will come in handy).

Apply a fan pointed at your head and ask your family to shine a torch in your eyes while you're sleeping and to flush the toilet (door open) every 26 minutes during the night. Place several whoopie cushions under the mattress for discomfort and emulating “night noises”.

Set the alarm for two hours before sunrise and be sure to be tucked in no later than 10 pm.

Get dressed in the dark in some damp clothing and wait for 2 hours before having breakfast.

Walk to the store and buy one bun, one slice of chorizo, one slice of cheese, one banana and one small yoghurt. Order the food by pointing and using only sign language. Let the shopkeeper count out the money from your hand.

Say “Hola” and strike up conversations with strangers and pretend you've known them your whole life, ask them if they're comfortable in their shoes, or if they'd have preferred boots, and enquire about the health of their hips, knees and feet. Follow them around for the next 15 minutes making small talk.

Carry one water bottle with you in a pouch on your back at all times and ask strangers to retrieve it for you, as you cannot quite reach it.

Add a generous amount of well-fermented cow dung to your garden and sit down-wind for an hour while having your lunch.

Wear three layers of clothing and then ask a friend or the neighbor to spray you soaking wet with the garden hose. Drink 3 liters of water and then "go" in the street side, ignoring your audience.

Strike every second toe with a hammer and then wear tight boots for the next eight hours. Be sure at regular intervals to make loud tapping sounds with a spoon on a plate for half an hour to emulate the sound of uncapped hiking poles.

Go and find a big pool of thick mud and walk around in it for seven hours. For best result pick a day when it is raining heavily.

Follow the sound of random car horns in search of fresh supplies.

Take huge number of photos of arrow-like objects and shells and send them to friends and relatives.

Go to the post office and post some clothing back to yourself.

In the evening, go to a small, cheap restaurant where you have never been before. Find an occupied table and ask if it is ok that you “squeeze in”. Order your meal while holding the menu upside down and reading in the reflection of a mirror, in poor lighting. Order both water and wine, and complain about the extra cost for wanting both. Pocket 2 slices of bread for tomorrow's breakfast. Add 3 painkillers to your 5th glass of wine.

To get the right Camino-feeling keep doing this for minimum four weeks and don’t forget to ask yourself regularly why the heck you are doing it….

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
For those of you who are not going to walk a Camino in the near future, there may be some consolation in following this recipe (adopted from a thread by @+@^^ from 2011):

Sit outside your front door for 3 hours every afternoon, pretending to wait for somebody to unlock the door.

Shower for no more than 2 minutes in luke warm water with one hand holding the shower door shut and the other on the tap to constantly adjust temperature while washing your hair. Dry yourself inside the shower cubicle, avoiding the drip and not slipping over in your crocs. Use only 1/3 of a towel.

Wash your clothes by hand in the basin using the same sliver of soap you just showered and washed your hair with. Hang all items on the outside line using 3 pegs only. Remember to collect your washing and rehang around your bunk bed just before it gets dark; adjust so you do not get dripped on.

Purchase a second hand metal double bunk bed with a firm spring base and a soft spring base; rotate sleeping up and down. Use a pillow made from your fleece stuffed with old clothes; alternatively use the worst pillow you have ever had.

Or sleep in a sleeping bag in a different room of the house each night, on a thin plastic mattress, and covered by the blanket the dog normally sleeps on (if you do not have a dog, a blanket that has been left outside for a year will come in handy).

Apply a fan pointed at your head and ask your family to shine a torch in your eyes while you're sleeping and to flush the toilet (door open) every 26 minutes during the night. Place several whoopie cushions under the mattress for discomfort and emulating “night noises”.

Set the alarm for two hours before sunrise and be sure to be tucked in no later than 10 pm.

Get dressed in the dark in some damp clothing and wait for 2 hours before having breakfast.

Walk to the store and buy one bun, one slice of chorizo, one slice of cheese, one banana and one small yoghurt. Order the food by pointing and using only sign language. Let the shopkeeper count out the money from your hand.

Say “Hola” and strike up conversations with strangers and pretend you've known them your whole life, ask them if they're comfortable in their shoes, or if they'd have preferred boots, and enquire about the health of their hips, knees and feet. Follow them around for the next 15 minutes making small talk.

Carry one water bottle with you in a pouch on your back at all times and ask strangers to retrieve it for you, as you cannot quite reach it.

Add a generous amount of well-fermented cow dung to your garden and sit down-wind for an hour while having your lunch.

Wear three layers of clothing and then ask a friend or the neighbor to spray you soaking wet with the garden hose. Drink 3 liters of water and then "go" in the street side, ignoring your audience.

Strike every second toe with a hammer and then wear tight boots for the next eight hours. Be sure at regular intervals to make loud tapping sounds with a spoon on a plate for half an hour to emulate the sound of uncapped hiking poles.

Go and find a big pool of thick mud and walk around in it for seven hours. For best result pick a day when it is raining heavily.

Take huge number of photos of arrow-like objects and shells and send them to friends and relatives.

In the evening, go to a small, cheap restaurant where you have never been before. Find an occupied table and ask if it is ok that you “squeeze in”. Order your meal while holding the menu upside down and reading in the reflection of a mirror, in poor lighting. Order both water and wine, and complain about the extra cost for wanting both. Pocket 2 slices of bread for tomorrow's breakfast. Add 3 painkillers to your 5th glass of wine.

To get the right Camino-feeling keep doing this for minimum four weeks and don’t forget to ask yourself regularly why the heck you are doing it….
Thanks, Turga! I've seen silimar to this before and they always give me a chuckle! I relate well to most of them! 😂

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Happy Birthday Chris!
Well, thanks, Davey!
When do you head out again? I recall you live somewhere in England. There is the "possibility" of a group meet up in London on July 17th if you are home and interested.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Camino Chris,

Have a splendid birthday.

🎂🧁🍰🍦

Buen camino to you both.

👣👣

p.s. as to older birthdays: better old than cold.
So true, so true...I'm not ready to be cold yet! I'm quite certain I've got quite a bit of "heat" left in me!

Camino(s) past & future

thanks for that! I saw it once before, but it merits another airing. Buen Camino, brother Turga.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.

This is so so funny...
Especially hitting the toes with a hammer!!

"Himself" beside me is wondering why I'm laughing so heartily.....and loudly!!........
What's so funny??

Must go and read this again !

I think however that only Camino addicts would "get" this!!

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
This is so so funny...

"Himself" beside me is wondering why I'm laughing so heartily.....and loudly!!........
What's so funny??

I got it.

I’m a camino addict.

And, proud of it.

👣

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Spotted one of your Friends this morning BB View attachment 55482on our walk
Reading Peter’s words: we show on our faces all that we think. More or less. And it is so true. Look in the mirror sometimes, and see if you can see the grim reaper! A reminder that it takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown. Why am i remembering now that my dad used to take us all (six of us) along to a hilly field on Easter Sunday morning for us to roll our boiled eggs.... maybe I can do that on Sunday: the garden here has a slope...

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
This is so so funny...

What's so funny??

I "get it", too! I have read a couple of other versions of this that I've enjoyed. Once I was riding in the car with hubby and I'd read a similar one for the first time. I read it aloud as I was busting up laughing! He didn't laugh at all and found no humor in it.
Yep, we're an odd bunch of addicts maybe...but none of us really care! 😁

Camino(s) past & future
I "get it", too! I have read a couple of other versions of this that I've enjoyed. Once I was riding in the car with hubby and I'd read a similar one for the first time. I read it aloud as I was busting up laughing! He didn't laugh at all and found no humor in it.
Yep, we're an odd bunch of addicts maybe...but none of us really care! 😁
Same here.
Not a chuckle
But then he's not a Camino addict..

Then again, he will happily walk them all with me......bless his little cotton socks!!
Anyway, am off to read it again!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
He didn't laugh at all and found no humor in it.
Yep, we're an odd bunch of addicts maybe
Same here.
Not a chuckle
But then he's not a Camino addict..
Au contraire. Surely it has nothing to do with addiction. :oops: (What, we? Addicted??)
We just have more active funny bones.
This thread is proof - we can laugh at anything.

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Finally spring is here, so I crept out of my hole (shell) today and did a short (9K) warm-up walk. Very nice. Following the extreme dry summer last year, the water level in the central lakes is almost back to normal after the wettest March in decades. The four year long construction work on the new submerged metro station is finally completed and the lake bottom is restored. When walking by there is no sign that there is a big metro station under the water (to the left of the small island).

View attachment 55322View attachment 55323View attachment 55324
when i realized i was drooling.... sluuuuurrrrppp

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Good morning to you all ,View attachment 55503
Love this, Peter! These all resonate with me. The most difficult one at times can be forgiveness. It is to be offered even without being asked for it by the other person who offended you. I've had to remind myself at times that the Master has said to do it
70 x 7.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
xa later crocs

hola sir @Peter Fransiscus & vmom @Camino Chris

not sure @nycwalking if about to bed now....enjoy with dad!
I’m still up.

Takes 6-8 hours to drive L.A.- S. F.

I feel as if I’m in a different time zone. But, nope only different channels on TV.
Traveling with an 89 year-old and an 88, is nice. Work. But, nice.

Off to sleep.

Night, yaying.

Morning CC, and all.

😴😴😴

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I’m still up.

Takes 6-8 hours to drive L.A.- S. F.

I feel as if I’m in a different time zone. But, nope only different channels on TV.
Traveling with an 89 year-old and an 88, is nice. Work. But, nice.

Off to sleep.

Night, yaying.

Morning CC, and all.

😴😴😴
"Dating" at 88 and 89 makes me chuckle. Good thing you are along, NYC, as a chaperone!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Or tell mine!

P.s. my parents are divorced. but, i couldn’t resist.
I couldn't resist punning on the old folks! I think it sounds like movie material. I just saw Clint Eastwood in "The Mule"...it can be done! He is 80+.😁

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Good old Clint still does his own stunts but when it comes to the dangerous bedroom stuff...he’s got a stunt double! 😂
🎼"Double your pleasure, double your fun..."🎼
Well, it does usually take two to tango!

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 154 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 24.9%