A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

Camino Badges

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Exactly, once I finish these Lay’s, look below, I’ll be running to my car to drive to myhair appointment at 11am. I am currently lying in bed not laying in bed, I just look up to verify proper use.
Love it! And such a long winded reply from you, my friend. I can imagine the scenario vividly...double love!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
And four lines from you all stuck together, practically a first.
And me here with no triple dots!
What's happening to us, girl?

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Or, more acurately, back to nothing...everyone seems to have left the premises!😃

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013) San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I need to take another photo of this table cloth tomorrow as I made a hames of this one...
Make a hames of something
Q From Paul Blake, UK: In Ireland the expression to make a hames of something (as in ‘Sure, your one made an awful hames of it’) is used where standard UK English would say ‘to make a mess of’. I’ve often wondered what the etymology of hames was.
A The expression is indeed restricted to Ireland and doesn’t now seem to be so very common even there, at least to judge from the small number of examples I’ve been able to turn up. Here’s one from the Irish Examiner in August 2004, describing a local politician’s chances in a reshuffle: “You know he’d be thrilled with Finance, and it wouldn’t do you any harm to watch him make a hames of it. He could even be the scapegoat for the next election.”
Though the expression isn’t known elsewhere, anyone who has much to do with working horses will know the term, because the hames are the two curved supports attached to the collar of a draft horse to which the traces are fastened. I’m no horseman — I know which end bites and that’s about it — but my carriage-driving consultant tells me it’s all too easy to put the hames on a horse the wrong way up, thus making a complete mess of things and risking adverse comments from bystanders.
Here’s a literary example, from Hugh Leonard’s Out After Dark of 1989: “Instead I made a hames of it, mislaying a verb, marooning a noun on a foreign shore, starting a jerry-built sentence that caved in halfway through”.
Hame, in lots of different spellings, was once common in dialects throughout Britain and Ireland and there are terms in Old Dutch and German that are similar. The best we can say about its origins is that it’s a Germanic word, perhaps imported from Dutch around 1300.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
and now, I wonder if ham, as in a ham actor, has anything to do with hames. I leave the answers to the sleuths..
Nothing definite here but a lot interesting (at least to nerds like me):

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I used to collect antiques and owned a pair of handsome wood hames with brass balls on top. I hung them on a wall in my family room. I see no connection to ham, either the food or an actor who hams it up...but that's just my opinion.😉
Screenshot_2019-05-22-18-47-21.jpg

Last edited:

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I used to collect antiques and owned a pair of handsome wood hames with brass balls on top. I hung them on a wall in my family room. I see no connection to ham, either the food or an actor who hams it up...but that's just my opinion.😉
View attachment 57777
On this topic I’m trying to be a ham, but I’m making a hames of it.🙃

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
An interesting word lesson for a non-native English speaker. In Denmark we would say about a ham-handed person that he/she “has got ten thumbs”

For some reason it made me think of some lines from a Monty Python show:

“But why can’t I have spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam with eggs without eggs?”
“Silly you! Because then it wouldn’t be spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam with eggs!” 🤪

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future
Just as an aside to the “hames” topic.
This may be a local expression but when making a mistake of large proportions we say that someone “has made a complete pigs ear of it”.

4CB9F9F1-0938-4354-BF37-B98221CD9D7B.jpeg

Perhaps another linguistic link between a horses equipment, mistake and ham.

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Just as an aside to the “hames” topic.
This may be a local expression but when making a mistake of large proportions we say that someone “has made a complete pigs ear of it”.

View attachment 57786

Perhaps another linguistic link between a horses equipment, mistake and ham.
And my mom used to say :
"You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear."

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
An interesting word lesson for a non-native English speaker. In Denmark we would say about a ham-handed person that he/she “has got ten thumbs”

For some reason it made me think of some lines from a Monty Python show:

“But why can’t I have spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam with eggs without eggs?”
“Silly you! Because then it wouldn’t be spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam with eggs!” 🤪
What about "Green eggs and ham"...Dr. Suess!😁

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
this is a better photo. I think it is a lovely cloth. and of course it fits right in with the menagerie!
turga, in another existence, could have made a new camino badge out of this...

View attachment 57801
Perfectly spaced...lovely!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Don't cry baby! Just follow the recipe from the "old" badge: Print it, laminate it and cut it out -and there you go, all for free. :)
I only use my phone and I am not tech savvy. Maybe Jeff will see this and make me one!...so there!
Where is he anyway?

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
If you are REALLY serious I'll make some for you. Why not? I know that the first badge made its way all to Doha, Quatar so why not to somewhere in US?
What?...Yaying got one, but not me? Yes, you owe me now! 😂 Yes, please. Let me know what to do, but you need to give me a break on the shipping!

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
What?...Yaying got one, but not me? Yes, you owe me now!
Calm down now! The first batch was produced by Peter and he sent some to Yaying.

Let me know what to do, but you need to give me a break on the shipping!
I'll see if I can make some on a day with bad weather -don't worry, they are frequent around here. I'll tell you when I get around to it :)

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Calm down now! The first batch was produced by Peter and he sent some to Yaying.

I'll see if I can make some on a day with bad weather -don't worry, they are frequent around here. I'll tell you when I get around to it :)
Ok, I'll pray for rain in your vacinity. Some peeps around here are procrastinators. I hope you are not one, too!😛

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Turga, just so ya know...I can be an imp, slightly annoying and a nag! 😲
You may be getting reminder notices every so often from me to just...do it! ☺

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
My motto: NEVER do today what can possibly be postponed until tomorrow (or the day after) :p
My motto is ALWAYS do it as fast as you can before the day is over...it makes other people think you rock! Then they don't talk behind your back!😛

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 158 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%