A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
(tiger picture)
I had a dog that understood the command "Go to ..." and words like door, car and kitchen. One day on TV his attention was grabbed by a tiger. I mentioned "tiger" in a statement to him. He perked up and looked toward a window. For some reason I said it again. He ran to the window, didn't see anything and then to the door. Son-of-a-gun. He knew the name of the neighbor's cat, a pal. I say this because he never did catch on to the command "Go to Peg."

Edit: The dog really loved the cat. The cat, being a cat, could only tolerate the dog.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Rick, So nice to see your avatar and witt on the "Not a serious thread". I know you are a busy man waiting on Peg hand and foot, but try not to stay away so long.☺
Dear NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return,
I'm sorry but the geek in me has had a fling with that floozy Can we please talk kilometres, litres, Celsius, right-side driving, etc.? thread. Will you take me back? It was not serious.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Rick, I enjoyed that metric thread too. Some of the comments posted reminded me of THIS thread. However, you have been absent for so long that I think the board members will have to take a vote to let you back in. I really, really want you back though...your super dry humor is top notch!😀

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
Dear NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return,
I'm sorry but the geek in me has had a fling with that floozy Can we please talk kilometres, litres, Celsius, right-side driving, etc.? thread. Will you take me back? It was not serious.
I know Rick, she’s been playing one against the other...me too! Such a brazen huzzy..
It’s the wanderer in me and I feel so unfaithful! Madam metric simply didn’t understand me...(nor me her...she’s so deep sometimes) it was only a passing fancy. A fling. I feel such a fool, l’m grovelling!

BDE15D8C-7D05-472B-B805-896BF14CA2E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
BB, I'm sure it's a big relief to admit your foolishness and indescretion with Madam Metric and have learned your lesson once and for all. Stay focused as you trot along on the straight and narrow path, blowing wind along the way.

Last edited:

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
I've got to come back. The metric thread give me an ultimatum; to love her or liter.
Rick, I know the problem when you hear the siren call from someone seeking your attention and affections...think what Peg would say! Me, l wasn’t ready for so serious a relationship and longed for the carefree existence. It could never last..we were going in different directions and she (or l )didn’t measure up after all. Infidelity to the “not serious” is such a weight to carry but a bit of geekiness or mischief is never a bad thing!
Absolution and forgiveness from the other members will undoubtedly come your way..perhaps I am beyond redemption 🤑😂🤣🤣

Last edited:

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Hmmm, I use google now to learn more about what you peeps occasionally talk about. There apparently is a "ribbon of hiway" dance, song...and this, which is the literal version!:p
View attachment 51104
Looks a little like hiking from Villa Franca Montes de Oca to St Juan de Ortega on CF!

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
It could be real if I find the time but I'm retired and can't find any.
I hear ya, buddy, it's a hard life indeed. That's why I can only find time to check in on this thread once every two days...I mean minutes!:p

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Hi folks. I was in a supermarket yesterday and without wifi for translation couldn’t check to find the herb i was looking for. Got the wrong one. A lively conversation ensued when i came home. Point of this: as has been noted before, and you will all, like good 26666302-1F3D-4DFE-8CF9-9CF16B061979.png26666302-1F3D-4DFE-8CF9-9CF16B061979.png remember - there is always room to learn about something new. My new knowledge concerns parsley root. I had never heard of it before. I must look for it when i go home next week. Not a bit unserious, this contribution. But there are two red elephants. In the room.
C497D188-1B9E-4459-9B4E-5EBA4381ED6E.jpegAnd thanks to -nyc? ( I am no elephant in the remembering gang)8E3A5305-00F1-4A46-869D-A0F7AFEF54AA.jpegOzy was jealous so had to post this.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Just posted this because sometimes the “devil” comes out in me! When perusing the vegetable and fruit section of the supermarket and there is a parent with young children within earshot I say, as if talking to myself, “ I think I’ll have an ah..vah ..kah..dooo” and watch their faces discretely.

C575C97F-1023-4BE5-AA75-EAAFD0F55D6D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Fascinating documentary on BBC4 last night - the changing role of the guitar over the last 60 years fronted by Patti Smith's lead guitar player Lenny Kaye.

Duane Eddy is still alive! So is Roger McGuinn who explained how adding a Bach intro and clipping Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man down from 6+ minutes to less than 3 essentially launched the Byrds' career.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I loved the song "Turn, turn, turn" when I was a teen. It now always reminds me of the movie "The Graduate", which for me will always be a favorite as I loved Dustin Hoffman's role. My dad thought the theme was was too "racey" for a teenager and I wasn't allowed to see it at the theater...my how times have changed!:oops:

Edit- This post is not a not serious, nor is it serious...not sure what I'd call it! ☺

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
How did the spanish classes work out? I daren’t ask in Spanish or I will get my dedos cortados by someone else on this thread...
The Spanish class was good, not that I learned so much new stuff but I had a lot of conversation practice, which was great. It was quite a jolly bunch of people and every night we went out for dinner or tapas-crawl with vino tinto and night cap(s). The weather was fine with mostly sunshine and around 20 C in the daytime, so in between had some nice walks in the mountains just behind the city. I returned home with a tanned face to snow and freezing temperatures –shock!

(Ten cuidado con los dedos! :p)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
It now always reminds me of the movie "The Graduate", which for me will always be a favorite as I loved Dustin Hoffman's role. My dad thought the theme was was too "racey" for a teenager and I wasn't allowed to see it at the theater...my how times have changed!
Hey, your dad was taking care of you. They guy was a star in an X rated film. ...my how times have changed!

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I thought Peg was a lucky gal with you deadheading all the flowers in your garden...now I'm not so sure.:rolleyes:
I think @Robo still takes 1st place as far as hubbies go since he carries around that rice cooker on the Camino...and you are a distant 2nd. Especially since I recall that time you were hiking in the White mountains after dusk, leaving poor Peg at the bottom of the mountain to think you were in serious trouble...seriously!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
but 2019?
In answer to a @kirkie post elsewhere: Peg's own creative writing certificate was given to her by me. A sweatshirt with this on it:

Hooked on Phonetics was a reading program that didn't work for everyone. I don't know how the programme could possibly work for British English readers.
British English? What is this British English of which you speak? ;)

In the land where the word ghoti is a phonetically way of spelling fish 'tis simply known as English (ie, we "invented" it, we get to set the rules) ;)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
but 2019?
Sorry, I thought it was the Germans and French speaking Vikings.
Good grief no! English vocabulary is 50% Germanic, 50% French the rest is made up of Latin and whatever words we managed to steal over the past 900 or so years. ;)
The rules are entirely home grown and hence the reason why chairs are not feminine, beds are not masculine and we never have to remember whether to use der das die die den das die die des des der der dem dem der or den* when we want to say the word "the" (unless we are learning German or re-learning in my case and it isn't any easier the second time around!) :eek:

Esperanto is much easier!

* Native German speakers should feel free to correct me if I've left any out

Last edited:

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Good grief no! English vocabulary is 50% Germanic, 50% French the rest is made up of Latin and whatever words we managed to steal over the past 900 or so years. ;)
The rules are entirely home grown and hence the reason why chairs are not feminine, beds are not masculine and we never have to remember whether to use der das die die den das die die des des der der dem dem der or den* when we want to say the word "the" (unless we are learning German or re-learning in my case and it isn't any easier the second time around!) :eek:

Esperanto is much easier!

* Native German speakers should feel free to correct me if I've left any out
LOL.🤪

This one takes the biscuit, in any language!
Biscuit: as in sweet treats, or differently flavored crisp finger foods?

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%