A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return

Camino Badges

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
As Ryan O’Neal said to Ali McGraw in “Love Story”.....”Statistics means never having to say you are certain”.
As Bill Murray said in "Stripes"..."Being a jerk means never having to say you are sorry".

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
[Tent joke]
A variant of that with Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson was judged the world's (and the Brits') favorite joke. #2 (and the funniest for Americans) was the following:

A couple of hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing. The other whips out his mobile phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps out to the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?"

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: "Just take it easy. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: "OK, now what?"

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Rick, isn't that what Peg almost had to do on your hike in the White mountains last summer or fall when you barely made it back down before darkness set in...I recall she was frantic with worry and was ready to whip out her mobile phone to call emergency services. 😁

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future
A variant of that with Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson was judged the world's (and the Brits') favorite joke. #2 (and the funniest for Americans) was the following:

A couple of hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing. The other whips out his mobile phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps out to the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?"

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: "Just take it easy. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: "OK, now what?"
Brilliant. 😂🤣

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Rick, isn't that what Peg almost had to do on your hike in the White mountains last summer or fall when you barely made it back down before darkness set in...I recall she was frantic with worry and was ready to whip out her mobile phone to call emergency services. 😁
Almost, but I'm not crazy enough to let her near a gun. And don't worry about her. If I aimed a pistol at the floor I'd hit the ceiling.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Almost, but I'm not crazy enough to let her near a gun. And don't worry about her. If I aimed a pistol at the floor I'd hit the ceiling.
Well, that's good...especially since she apparently is still living in the basement. 😂

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Prince Albert tin no go in USA; at least I think not.
View attachment 61515
I recognize all the tins except the Prince Albert...I fact, I use that exact Sucret's box in my Camino fanny pack to hold all my variety of pills! Works a treat (as the Aussie's would say)!

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Prince Albert tin no go in USA; at least I think not.
View attachment 61515
This one got me thinking about products and their packaging. I don’t consider myself particularly old (and I only remember one tin from that selection).
I remember when there was only one Supermarket and this was only the size of a convenience store (“Gateway” for the Brits and the size of a 24/7 to give you an idea)
I remember when you walked from store to store to buy your goods individually and my mother went to the “Biscuit” shop and bought
Broken biscuits because they were cheaper. When you wanted meat you went to the butcher, fish from the fishmonger and so on. Shopping was a time consuming excercise.
Everything was put in brown paper bags.
If you wanted to spend your pocket money (mine was sixpence...one fortieth of a Great British pound or one fiftieth of a dollar) and buy sweets you had to go to a sweet shop where the two spinster ladies (the Challengers) would take you to where the sweets for four a penny were kept...and your sixpence went a long way.
I remember tins (just not the brands). Wouldn't it be nice to go back to this kind of “wrapping”...so good for the environment and recyclable.
Sorry to “waffle” guys...it just bought back some memories...some nice ones.

Last edited:

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
This one got me thinking about products and their packaging. I don’t consider myself particularly old (and I only remember one tin from that selection).
I remember when there was only one Supermarket and this was only the size of a convenience store (“Gateway” for the Brits and the size of a 24/7 to give you an idea)
I remember when you walked from store to store to buy your goods individually and my mother went to the “Biscuit” shop and bought
Broken biscuits because they were cheaper. When you wanted meat you went to the butcher, fish from the fishmonger and so on. Shopping was a time consuming excercise.
If you wanted to spend your pocket money (mine was sixpence...one fortieth of a Great British pound or one fiftieth of a dollar) and buy sweets you had to go to a sweet shop where the two spinster ladies (the Challengers) would take you to where the sweets for four a penny were kept...and your sixpence went a long way.
I remember tins (just not the brands). Wouldn't it be nice to go back to this kind of “wrapping”...so good for the environment and recyclable.
Memories are sometimes nice.

Remember when a bottle was a bottle made out of glass?

I was a kid then.😘

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;

I was a kid then.😘
Bottles of alcoholic beverages are still bottles made out of glass...and fully recyclable!
I am a kid now. 😂

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Nice little story, BB. I must be younger than you, though.☺ I've only seen your type of grocery shopping experiences in really old movies, depicting scenes of life in the 1930's-40's. Supermarkets were my only experiences. Today however, Costco and the like are the new "convenience" stores...one stop can do everything.

Last edited:

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Memory Lane! I remember when, as a child, on early Sunday mornings, the "boy" from the bakery would come around and hang a big bag with freshly baked (still warm) rolls and Danish pastry on the door knob -oh, happy days.... 🙂

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Memory Lane! I remember when, as a child, on early Sunday mornings, the "boy" from the bakery would come around and hang a big bag with freshly baked (still warm) rolls and Danish pastry on the door knob -oh, happy days.... 🙂
Turga, I see those fabric bags of fresh bread hanging from doorknobs or special hooks along camino villages...it's all I can do to not snatch one as I walk along! The imp wants to, but the angel in me doesn't do it.😇

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Turga, I see those fabric bags of fresh bread hanging from doorknobs or special hooks along camino villages...it's all I can do to not snatch one as I walk along! The imp wants to, but the angel in me doesn't do it.😇
Around here, these days, any baker would laugh his butt off if you asked him to bring bread out on a Sunday morning (or any other morning) -or charge you a bucket of gold for the service.

(So sometimes the angel wins..... :p )

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Around here, these days, any baker would laugh his butt off if you asked him to bring bread out on a Sunday morning (or any other morning) -or charge you a bucket of gold for the service.

(So sometimes the angel wins..... :p )
Well, even a devil would be an angel in that case. I think you are making fun of my "good side". 😂

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future

I was a kid then.😘
The milk is still delivered in glass bottles if delivered by the milkman and in similar electric milk floats (like a large golf buggy) as they were 40 plus years ago. The milkman collects the empties.....how’s that for recycling?

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
The milk is still delivered in glass bottles if delivered by the milkman and in similar electric milk floats (like a large golf buggy) as they were 40 plus years ago. The milkman collects the empties.....how’s that for recycling?
What?

Wow!

Where?

This side of pond, at least Los Angeles and NYC, that ended decades ago.

However, the ice cream truck still rolls along.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I haven't seen milk delivered to a home since I was in grade school. The UK must still be living in the dark ages...do you even know what Costco is? 😂

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
I remember my grandmother (in Folkestone) sending me to the bakers round the corner to buy a freshly baked loaf. The smell...the heat..
I’m regressing 😂

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I remember my grandmother (in Folkestone) sending me to the bakers round the corner to buy a freshly baked loaf. The smell...the heat..
I’m regressing 😂
You are making me salivate and drool...aint nothing like fresh, hot bread! 😂

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
You are making me salivate and drool...aint nothing like fresh, hot bread! 😂
Hellman’s bakery was on a main boulevard when I was a kid. Whenever we drove past we’d get a waft of baking bread. That smell and factory are things of the past. 😢

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I went down memory lane a few years ago on a visit to Minneapolis. I parked in the street at my old house and walked to my grade school. It was gone and in its place was a retirement facility. 😐
After living hither, thither, and yon I currently reside in the same duplex in which I lived from 4 or 5 until 11, and then off and on over the years.

My elementary, junior high, high school, and college campuses are all still there.

The Rose garden at museum still blooms, MGM studio is now Sony, but same locale.

Los Angeles has not changed much since I was a little girl.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Another memory lane story just came to me. I had a close childhood friend that was a little imp and we had good times together. I moved away in 8th grade to another state 350 miles away. Out of the blue she somehow figured out how to contact me when I was in my 40's and we had a nice chat on the phone. We then decided to meet at a halfway point for a weekend to catch up. Well, the weekend didn't go so well for me...she was a cocaine addict and swore like a trooper! It was the longest weekend of my life as we had nothing in common.😐 TMI?
And in her defense, I'm sure I bored her to tears!😂

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Um, um good!

The candy only.
View attachment 61547
I ate those, too. They were quite "chalky" and not very good. I think they kept me from being a smoker. I've only had one puff of a ciggy in my whole life and I didn't even cough or choke! 😀

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'm sure some of you remember these. They were not good either, but I devoured them and left the paper a wet mess, like a sloppy kiss!
View attachment 61549
I never tried them.

They have an alien appearance and the paper.

Always freaked me out just looking at them.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'm sorry NYC, I should have asked earlier; was this picture yours? I don't remember you sending many of your own. Here all the pictures are nice though this is rather stark. I may be seeing similar on my upcoming Oct-Nov camino.
Nope I got off FB.

This one is mine.

Taken August 22, 2001.

This is a bit after that slog up that HILL leaving Castrojeriz.

I remember the date because three mini-miracles happened that day!
2BD54E6E-E81A-480F-B5BF-37BCACB731DF.jpeg

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I'll take June thank you. I'm a Yankee and I'm used to green. It looks like Chris took her earlier picture on the other side of the hill looking back to Castrojeriz.
Yep, I think that is what I did. It rained profusely thereafter, but became a wonderful memory anyway! I loved it!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
This is a bit after that slog up that HILL leaving Castrojeriz.
Talked to a woman there who wanted to put in a zipline for the pilgrims. I though that would be in line with a religious pilgrimage; I told her that on the way down they would see God.
I remember the date because three mini-miracles happened that day!
Three? But how many priests were invoved?

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Talked to a woman there who wanted to put in a zipline for the pilgrims. I though that would be in line with a religious pilgrimage; I told her that on the way down they would see God.

Three? But how many priests were invoved?
Yes, NYC is a chick magnet for men of the cloth!

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I hiked up to the castle in Castrojerez and the views were amazing!
Each time I walk to Castrojeriz I bypass Hontanas, where I mean to stop, and push on. Ergo, that gives for a forty km day.

So, I’ve always missed any sights to see...fatigue.

In 2014, I thought Hontanas albergue was closed so I trekked on. Next day, everyone told me about the fun I missed. One day, one day.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%