Advertisement

NOT a serious thread

2018 edition Camino Guides

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2018: 'Via Lemovicensis or maybe Via Francigena, again....
But hey! So many threads...
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
And should you do it on your own or with a tour?
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
D'you think I may be in the wrong forum?
I shouldn't be here!!! :D:D:D;)

Advertisment

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
Now Domigee take a deep breath...inhale and exhale...
The wise Camino doctors and nurses are here. Free consultancy is available.:D
And yes btw how many Caminos did YOU combine...come on : confess, you know you want to...;)
Btw why not organising our own tour? And people who want to join have to enter a silly Q&A to get allowed in...

Cheers for starting this thread....:)

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
What really has me worried is that after you decided whether to fleece or not to fleece, and you finally got the right shoes and you MADE it, well then you return to the abyss of everyday life. And need even more counseling.

Somehow that just doesn't seem fair.
I am not sure I understand it all,,,
But err.. i think I'm there with you, wherever it is lol!

Advertisment

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Which one is best?
Indeed. Take a hike in Spain. ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Northern Way (2017)
The best socks are rainbow socks. Composition and construction are irrelevant. Bright sunny happy colours make everyone smile, forget the blisters.

I am happy for the fleece, vans, and all other minutiae Camino. After all I am now a veteran with wisdom to share. Woot woot. I need my Virtual Camino Family much more than ever befor.

linkster

Nunca dejes de creer!
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 05/17 brazo roto Portomarín
Francés 09/17 SJPdP - Santiago
(Portuguese: 09/18)
I like your light heartedness. I met all kinds of people walking for all kinds of reasons. Spiritual, religious, transitional, adventure, grief, whatever ... they do not have to be mutually exclusive of one another. For me the laughter and camaraderie was cathartic. I like the idea of having to pass the silly test to be a member of the crew. Now on to the sock discussion. I really liked my ...

Sailor

Lifetime Membership Cardholder
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2017) Frances (2018)
Actually, this is a very serious thread. And oh, by the way, somewhere after Carrion de los Condes I lost one pair of black ankle socks [no, they were not red]. Good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Stivandrer

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
arhh.. what the heck,
recommend Injinji toe socks for after socks to spend the evening airing those steaming feet and to compres out the blisters btw the toes.
Used cheap thongs/ flipflops.
And into the bargain you can land on your front balls of your feet and stretch your muscles..
I never liked flip flops before, but now use them constantly indor & out...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bNZ4gqRDUluI05kr2

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2018 (flight and accommodation already booked!)
Which one is best?
You forgot about boots vs shoes/trail runners conundrum.
Easy to solve: wear one boot and one shoe for the best of both worlds. The added bonus being no other pilgrim is likely to take yours by mistake.
Similarly take 3 sleeping bags, that way if it DOES turn cold you can be the saviour of two other pilgrims or even three if you want to make a sacrifice . . .
I understand (from the London Guardian) that the latest must have for a trip is your own film maker - I wonder if a certain E. Estevez is free to do the Ingles next May?

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Easy to solve: wear one boot and one shoe for the best of both worlds. The added bonus being no other pilgrim is likely to take yours by mistake.
Similarly take 3 sleeping bags, that way if it DOES turn cold you can be the saviour of two other pilgrims or even three if you want to make a sacrifice . . .
I understand (from the London Guardian) that the latest must have for a trip is your own film maker - I wonder if a certain E. Estevez is free to do the Ingles next May?
Ok you deffo fit in for the ...crazy Q&A tour thing @SabineP mentioned.
You and all the others who have said something in this stoopid thread :D socks an' all ;)

Thank you all , you helped me through this day :)

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014 Camino Frances
2015 Camino Frances
2016 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
Is it just me, or do some of you whistle or hum the theme song from the movie, 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly when you arrive at a tiny village at siesta time? We always referred to siesta time as 'tumble weed time' as often that was the only thing moving.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
(2017)
Is it just me, or do some of you whistle or hum the theme song from the movie, 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly when you arrive at a tiny village at siesta time? We always referred to siesta time as 'tumble weed time' as often that was the only thing moving.

Certainly get it, but never thought of it at the time. I always found a cervesa anyway

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

It's just you! :D;)

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014 Camino Frances
2015 Camino Frances
2016 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
The gentleman in the picture below has graciously agreed to host a lecture on 'The art of Minimalism.' He is also giving out some practical information on the art of packing light. Other areas to be covered are the beauty of 115L back packs. Space is limited, who will be signing up? But as you can see he arrived in Santiago, who am I to judge? IMG-20170418-00462.jpg

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014 Camino Frances
2015 Camino Frances
2016 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
Do we need to fit into the 115 L pack? We need @dougfitz back to tell us the weight/volume ratio of a human body.
So kind of like seeing how many people you can pack into a VW Beetle or a phone booth then? Phone Booths?...I am really dating myself!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
none yet!
arhh.. what the heck,
recommend Injinji toe socks for after socks to spend the evening airing those steaming feet and to compres out the blisters btw the toes.
Used cheap thongs/ flipflops.
And into the bargain you can land on your front balls of your feet and stretch your muscles..
I never liked flip flops before, but now use them constantly indor & out...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bNZ4gqRDUluI05kr2
i haven't done my walk/ride yet but a few years of racing and long runs made me a HUGE fan of those toe socks. i have very picky feet and always get blisters. toe socks took care of a lot of the problem! i also swear by bag balm for toes... and really anywhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino(s) past & future
September2016
This has been my favorite thread! Love it!

Which one is best?
Calm down dear, it's just a camino. (NOT a serious comment :) )

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ok you deffo fit in for the ...crazy Q&A tour thing @SabineP mentioned.
You and all the others who have said something in this stoopid thread :D socks an' all ;)

Thank you all , you helped me through this day :)

haha you just have to ask...

If you throw a red stone into the blue sea what will it become?

And btw we always need @dougfitz! Every forum needs a @dougfitz !!!

Last edited:

Sailor

Lifetime Membership Cardholder
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2017) Frances (2018)
This non-serious thread is smoking the competition today! And now, seriously, time to get back to work on my side of the house. Que la brillante luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Not at all. It’s super easy........ Two in the front and two in the back.
Tss you should have let everyone guess...
(I knew the answer of course :D)
Do you have any more??? :)

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Give it a green tutu with small red spots and everyone will think it's just a few more trees.

I tuned out last week when you guys started talking about socks.
Meh.
But elephants?
That's another story altogether.
(Does anyone know what to do when you realize you've accidentally left your elephant in the last albergue?)

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Give it a green tutu with small red spots and everyone will think it's just a few more trees.

I tuned out last week when you guys started talking about socks.
Meh.
But elephants?
That's another story altogether.
(Does anyone know what to do when you realize you've accidentally left your elephant in the last albergue?)

Well you go back of course. Because you have his sleepingbag and toothbrush and you know he can't do without. Even more you would miss his witty conversation.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Hey, Sabine, do you mean you actually carry your elephant's stuff for him? You are a saint.
I thought that was the point of taking my elephant, so that she can carry all my stuff!:oops:

And yes, the conversations...and the music. They do trumpets like no-one else.:)

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hey, Sabine, do you mean you actually carry your elephant's stuff for him? You are a saint.
I thought that was the point of taking my elephant, so that she can carry all my stuff!:oops:

And yes, the conversations...and the music. They do trumpets like no-one else.:)
Of course I have my three donkeys to carry the packs for us.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Of course I have my three donkeys to carry the packs for us.
Boy, we'll all hear you coming, Sabine... "Hee HAAAW...(what sound does a trumpeting elephant make?)...Heea-hea-hea HAAAAWWW!"
You could ask (nicely) the bag transport people to chuck him in the van when they see him. They'll know which one it is, he's got red socks :D
This outdoes 54 people in a VW Beetle, hands down. Hopefully no-one else will have forgotten their elephant that day. Two would be pushing it.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Hahaha :D:D - I wasn't thinking of that, but it's a funny idea. No, I just meant that two elephants would push the limits of what one of the transport vans could hold.
I know that! However, if the transport people used a VW Beetle there would be no problem; they could transport four elephants...ashtray lids closed!

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Well you go back of course. Because you have his sleepingbag and toothbrush and you know he can't do without. Even more you would miss his witty conversation.
Would be going back to but I will never,ever carry his sleepingbag he / she is big enough to carry his/here sleepingbag.

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Boy, we'll all hear you coming, Sabine... "Hee HAAAW...(what sound does a trumpeting elephant make?)...Heea-hea-hea HAAAAWWW!"
This outdoes 54 people in a VW Beetle, hands down. Hopefully no-one else will have forgotten their elephant that day. Two would be pushing it.
They will need a bigger van.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • April

Votes: 46 18.8%
  • May

Votes: 56 22.9%
  • June