A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

NOT a serious thread

Advertisment

Advertisment

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Aug/Sep 2017)
Talking about animals and food, life would be so much easier (and we wouldn't feel so bad) if we still had the Shmoo. Quoting from Wikipedia:
  • Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)
  • They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timber, depending on how thick one slices it.
Shmoo.jpg

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
If we are going into poetry, here is a little verse, which, in my perception, is in accordance with the Camino Spirit:

Sit thee down and have no shame
Cheek by jowl and knee by knee
What care I for any name
What for order or degree

(From Tennyson’s ‘Visions of Sin’ – I think)
As my shame got carried by my tiry feet away
As like chinese sleepy curvy
As my name weight too care
As they are all caminante pedigree
;)

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Just to show you that I've RED your post see the quote above and:

We live on a river and the mallards Mildred, Gertude, Domenic, Eugene and Trent used to stop by our back door asking for handouts. I guess Gertude is our inner duck because she once accepted an offer to come in. Also, she nested by our front door a couple of times and that spot is now indoors.

I sent a picture of some geese to a friend with a description. He replied back that the description was a poem. I made my description look like a stanza and did a tiny bit of editing to get it into this form:

It's been snowing awhile;
the sleeping geese are turning
into drifts of snow.
There are some on the ice;
the ones floating in the river
are slowly drifting downstream
backwards.

View attachment 40093

By the way, the picture above was taken from inside.
my goodness... i like blue sky...
now i think i like RED post!
... haist one click to another...
what ever ill sit on this...

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Talking about animals and food, life would be so much easier (and we wouldn't feel so bad) if we still had the Shmoo. Quoting from Wikipedia:
  • Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)
  • They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timber, depending on how thick one slices it.
View attachment 42788
how I wish I could record my laughter! brilliant, as ever.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
how I wish I could record my laughter! brilliant, as ever.
I have this mental image now : our club badge with a button atached to click and hoppa your recorded laugh...Only to be used outside the albergue in between 6 and 7 pm...
A laugh or maybe also some words of encouragement for the weary pilgrim...;)

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Red socks rock (if you aren’t wearing sandals). But what is causing mirth among the VdlP pilgrims is my red umbrella.
OMG. My eyes!
:cool::p:p

As a favor to all of you beloved porcivores...I will personally declare myself a 'safe space' for piggies.

And well, well...I just learned something about shmoos from Wikipedia:
"At night the light stuns them, then they can be whacked in the head with the stick and put in the bag for frying up later on. "
Oh, I get it now: That's what all the headlamps in albergues are for! We vegetarians are SO clueless.;)

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
OMG. My eyes!
:cool::p:p

As a favor to all of you beloved porcivores...I will personally declare myself a 'safe space' for piggies.

And well, well...I just learned something about shmoos from Wikipedia:
"At night the light stuns them, then they can be whacked in the head with the stick and put in the bag for frying up later on. "
Oh, I get it now: That's what all the headlamps in albergues are for! We vegetarians are SO clueless.;)
oh, I was waiting, cowed in the corner, knowing you would appear! Feeling ever so guilty for being CARNIVOROUS. But you know what? Kindness is the stuff that holds all things together, so I am not worried. I kind of guess you are very kind, vnwalking... and will be able to breathe properly even in the presence of CARNIVORES. and a small confession. Yesterday the menu changed because there was an offer I could not refuse in the supermarket. So, today (shh!!!) cold sliced ham. Sorry, Piggy! Thanks everybody. A wonderful space. In the midst of whatever keeps us going, serious wise, this is a gift.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
True enough, but in Spain there is much carni- and not as much omni- .
And tons of porci-.
;)

Kindness is the stuff that holds all things together, so I am not worried.
Oh good. I would hate to be perceived as a 'religious vegetarian.' That's way too serious.
And I do like all your company, everyone! So it's worth it to eat together, even if I go a little hungry. Besides, I am always happy to lose a little weight.
:);):p

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
No need to apologize, @stgcph. You weren't serious, just right.
It's righteous that is serious. And it is another thing altogether.;)
Self-righteous is even more serious.
And then there's the height of seriousness, which is to be inflexible and to lack any sense of humor at all. You are probably safe, Sabine.:cool:

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
No need to apologize, @stgcph. You weren't serious, just right.
It's righteous that is serious. And it is another thing altogether.;)
Self-righteous is even more serious.
And then there's the height of seriousness, which is to be inflexible and to lack any sense of humor at all. You are probably safe, Sabine.:cool:
Once again, I need to find a way to record my laughter!! as they say here: yiz are great!

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
Well, I was reading something that might have offended some people. But it was very funny and very modern-sounding satire.:)
I wasn’t hinting at anything personal, I read Erasmus too and I agree.

I am just bored right now. Totally off current topic (if such exists?) I went and bought new trail running shoes today for my next Camino in August, and you know what…. They have thick RED soles!! No kiddin’

I would like to go out to try them on a long walk, but the return policy around here is, that you can try them indoors for some time –if walking outdoors, no possibility of return. So I am walking around here like a lion in a cage trying to determine if they have the right fit.

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

I am just bored right now. Totally off current topic (if such exists?) I went and bought new trail running shoes today for my next Camino in August, and you know what…. They have thick RED soles!! No kiddin’

I would like to go out to try them on a long walk, but the return policy around here is, that you can try them indoors for some time –if walking outdoors, no possibility of return. So I am walking around here like a lion in a cage trying to determine if they have the right fit.
What a picture! Aren't the North Americans lucky with their REI stores???

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

Ah that is a nuisance...our European customer service could really improve in this aspect.

Although your quote about the lion in his cage reminds me immediately of this Flemish " earworm "...enjoy ;)

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
I would like to go out to try them on a long walk, but the return policy around here is, that you can try them indoors for some time –if walking outdoors, no possibility of return.
Just a thought for the morning @stgcph .
Go to your local gym, put on your red socks, your red-soled shoes - and red shorts or a tee-shirt if you have them - and hit the treadmill.
You'd be a sight.:p:cool:
The only thing missing would be @Kanga 's red brolly.
You could take that too, but it might be excessive.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Sin Fin
Okay Miss Y, it is 0015 local time, and here I sit, smiling thanks to your post. Gracias y no pares de caminar.

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Just a thought for the morning @stgcph .
Go to your local gym, put on your red socks, your red-soled shoes - and red shorts or a tee-shirt if you have them - and hit the treadmill.
You'd be a sight.:p:cool:
The only thing missing would be @Kanga 's red brolly.
You could take that too, but it might be excessive.
and the fascinator??

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
Actually not a bad idea (including the outfit), but wrong season. It has been such a wonderful weather here for a very long period, that the thought of walking indoors on a treadmill isn’t very appealing (last night the TV weatherman excitedly reported, that in this May until now, we have had as many hours of sunshine as in the whole summer last year (mid-May through mid-September). But then last summer was also one of the lousiest ever recorded)

So I took my new red-soled shoes out on a 15 Km walk today and it was very promising. Much softer and flexible than the boots and still good protection from stones and gravel on the ground (I did feel a little ‘naked’ though).

And from an energy-saving point of view: My boots weigh 730 grams each and the trail shoes 307 grams each, which means that for each step I take I need to pull 423 grams less off the ground. Assuming a walking day of 40,000 steps, I will be spared the effort of dragging 16,920,000 grams or 16,92 metric tons against gravity!

Unseriously..!!

DSCN2222.JPG

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
and the fascinator??
I would have worn a red fascinator if I'd been invited to wedding at Windsor. I only live three minutes from M&M. Alas she does not know me. But, is that an excuse.

No.

Seriously. What a wedding it would have been with my fascinator, our thread menagerie, and not a serious thread badge.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x3), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham.
2018? CF, again :-)

Oooohhhhh! SNAP! :D Currently walking at home in my brand new red-soled shoes. Woohoo!
Dying to go outside but daren't (and it's raining, sigh) :D

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x3), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham.
2018? CF, again :-)
I have a wedding to go to, do you think they will be suitable? :cool:

Just back and read your meat-eating posts :eek: Seriously.... :D

Ever heard that joke about : one thing you will never hear the French say "and here is one part of the animal we throw away....." Sorry, I actually am not a meat eater.... Well, unless it's chicken.... Oh and any 'charcuterie type' thing :p

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Well serious for a minute now...yes I can do "serious" : I consider myself as a flexitarian. Two or three times a week meat or fish.
Bur from a local source and /or traceable origin.
Long live the local butcher or farm!
Some Serious words from Zwijndrecht , Marianne eats no meat and some time fish and I eat only meat when we are going out for diner and some fish.
Sorry that I'am so serious .

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
brrrm..... 7 pages more to go.
click. click. click
though its late!
but definitely my fingers all the way like to click!
Where have you been, Yaying? I missed you, but you've been back on the forum for a few days now. Hope everything has been ok at home..seriously!

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Time to clear some things up. Red socks rock (if you aren’t wearing sandals). But what is causing mirth among the VdlP pilgrims is my red umbrella.

View attachment 42792
Red umbrella, red hair, red socks, red bow...what else ya got in red, Kanga? :)

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Actually, humans are (naturally) not carnivores but OMNIVORES (all-eaters) :eek:
I'm only now noticing that you, as a turtle, are wearing red socks! You may move slow, but those socks will keep you persevering til the end......eventually.

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
What a picture! Aren't the North Americans lucky with their REI stores???
Yes, but I unfortunately live nearly 100 miles (excuse me, I mean 160 kilometers) from the nearest REI....And aren't the Europeans lucky with their quickie Ryan Air flights to get to the Camino?! ;) :)

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ok, you people are losing me now in this as I don't know what a fascinator is...nor have I read Erasmus!...the shame I feel is making my face turn RED.
Haha until last year I did not know what a fascinator was either. I had to attend a rather posh English wedding with a certain dresscode and someone advised me to wear a fascinator.
I gently said no! I am in awe with women who can wear it in a stylish way...
Me?...I would look like a straycat with a funny cap...:p

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Haha until last year I did not know what a fascinator was either. I had to attend a rather posh English wedding with a certain dresscode and someone advised me to wear a fascinator.
I gently said no! I am in awe with women who can wear it in a stylish way...
Me?...I would look like a straycat with a funny cap...:p
So, is it some sort of fancy hat? Like Kanga's new avatar wearing the hat she made to attend the horse races...or was it the kangaroo races? ;)

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
So, is it some sort of fancy hat? Like Kanga's new avatar wearing the hat she made to attend the horse races...or was it the kangaroo races? ;)
Et voila
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascinator

Lots of them at the British royal wedding last weekend.

Ah...me wishing for some elegance and grace...then I would certainly wear a red one.
It looks stunning on Kanga!

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
To all the above: thanks for the laughs. I am off to a VERY SERIOUS MEETING for the whole day, so I can escape in my mind, visualising all the fascinators, hokas, melifumps, turtles, socks, etc especially when it is a fair certainty that at some point in the meeting I will see RED!

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
I cannot 'like' your post, @kirkie, but am sending heartfelt wishes for being able to sit there with a [;)distant] smile on your face as a result of the silliness here. And may hard hearts melt as a result of seeing that smile.
And maybe red socks can jinx the nasty energy of the SERIOUS meeting? One of your secret weapons.

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
To all the above: thanks for the laughs. I am off to a VERY SERIOUS MEETING for the whole day, so I can escape in my mind, visualising all the fascinators, hokas, melifumps, turtles, socks, etc especially when it is a fair certainty that at some point in the meeting I will see RED!
Oh yes, those serious meetings where everybody needs to be heard although their opinion is mostly like everybody else’s. I got into the habit of keeping a straight face while my mind wandered off to more interesting things. When called back to reality by a question like “So what do you think?” you just need to look serious and reply something like “I'm considering the question, but I'm basically positive” and everybody will nod and think you are the wise guy.

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Oh yes, those serious meetings where everybody needs to be heard although their opinion is mostly like everybody else’s. I got into the habit of keeping a straight face while my mind wandered off to more interesting things. When called back to reality by a question like “So what do you think?” you just need to look serious and reply something like “I'm considering the question, but I'm basically positive” and everybody will nod and think you are the wise guy.
I love it! I must remember that line! It wasn't so bad, and we had a lovely lunch, plus the weather was perfect for getting out at the lunch break. I must have a look for a pair of red socks tomorrow, just to keep me focussed...

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I love it! I must remember that line! It wasn't so bad, and we had a lovely lunch, plus the weather was perfect for getting out at the lunch break. I must have a look for a pair of red socks tomorrow, just to keep me focussed...
An outfit for your next serious meeting?

Attachments

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Where have you been, Yaying? I missed you, but you've been back on the forum for a few days now. Hope everything has been ok at home..seriously!
one of the reason not to be drawn in quicksand was thinking of people who will missed me(hehehe)! Gods grace oddly as i may say its been hard to be ok but gratefully... aja!

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
oh...i guess im the one stills awake!
my only red was my eyes!
and elephantantis tummy full of air...
and a giraffe neck...looking if somebody is looking at me while sneaking on this site
octupus hands to type my comments...

A blessed & wonderful day i wish to all of you!

i seriously forgot to say THANK YOU!!!

kirkie

Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Time for coffee.
Where we had coffee this morning I saw these guys with red lips . View attachment 42959
gold shoes? Any takers? I didn't go any walks today. Instead, I attacked the dust, read the paper, spent some time at the jigsaw puzzle, and here I am for a few moments before going to read some of El Gran Caminante. Seriously. I have neglected to for to long and I want to read it all. Happy rest of Saturday to everyone, and anyone walking, hope you can find something to smile about by random page picking on this thread!

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June