• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

NOT a serious thread

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 15.06.14.png
First effort! Next time, the mint will be on top... So now they are in the fridge, as there is no ice. Also, I have a couple of things to do. Then, will sit down, feet up, and discover what all the degenerates who pay money every year to go to Wimbledon get up to. Actually, I do not mean that last sentence. I just would never personally justify the expense of a ticket to Wimbledon, but I was glued to the tv in my teenage years. My mother finally gave up trying to clean around us, and just sat down and we helped her to become a Wimbledon expert! And as I am not volunteering in an albergue this July, why don't I become a couch potato for the two weeks? I doubt that will happen but from time to time, yes I will !

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
Hey Kirkie,
That looks like a great way to eat your greens (and reds too) so I’m going to dust off that unopened bottle of Pimms that’s been languishing in the cupboard for ages and see what the stuff actually tastes like.

Surely it must count as one of your ‘five a day’? . . . veggies, not cocktails.;)

Advertisment

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Interrupting the NOT a serious thread to bring the latest scores from the World Cup.

England 6, Panama 1
Japan 2, Senegal 2
Colombia 3, Poland 0

Congratulations to mis amigos Ingleses y Colombianos for your victories. Mis amigos from Japan and Senegal needed a victory to qualifiy for the Octavos de Finales or the round of 16 but they could not get it done today, but both are still in the running. Wishing mis amigos from Panama and Poland good luck on your next game.

And now we resume normal programming with NOT a serious thread, y no pares de caminar.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Interrupting the NOT a serious thread to bring the latest scores from the World Cup.

England 6, Panama 1
Japan 2, Senegal 2
Colombia 3, Poland 0

Congratulations to mis amigos Ingleses y Colombianos for your victories. Mis amigos from Japan and Senegal needed a victory to qualifiy for the Octavos de Finales or the round of 16 but they could not get it done today, but both are still in the running. Wishing mis amigos from Panama and Poland good luck on your next game.

And now we resume normal programming with NOT a serious thread, y no pares de caminar.
Is there a tie-break in soccer/football?

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Sorry to break into this World Cup discussion but there seems to be a thing here in Belgium about giraffes.
I am sorry to be leaving without more time to investigate this intriguing phenomenon.
(Those red rollerskates are a trip, and would be just the thing on the flat parts of the Frances.:cool:)

[Edit - I somehow missed Sabine's much better version of those giraffes. Fabulous!]

Attachments

Last edited:
Sorry to break into this World Cup discussion but there seems to be a thing here in Belgium about giraffes.
I am sorry to be leaving without more time to investigate this intriguing phenomenon.
(Those red rollerskates are a trip, and would be just the thing on the flat parts of the Frances.:cool:)

Nice thinking! :cool:
Paired with some wings, perhaps?
A paragliding contraption of some sort .... ?

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Is there a tie-break in soccer/football?
Good question! They (FIFA) have a set of rules for their judges to pick the winner of each group in case of a tie .

(1) Here are the rules for tie-breakers (lots of moving parts, not a long article, easy to read).

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/tie-breakers-for-russia-2018-groups

(2) Here is the regulations document (pages 41 to 45 have all the rules I want to know, easy to read):

https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...ions-2843519.pdf?cloudid=ejmfg94ac7hypl9zmsys

Again, good luck to your teams, y no pares de caminar.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
OK, getting serious here...
Since the original Greek is Πήγασος (Pégasos), the plural is Pégasoi.
But there was actually only one Pégasos (it's a proper name), so I may have been wrong to posit a herd of them, on steroids or not. Mea culpa.:oops:

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
@nycwalking I told you I knew nothing about it! . . .
You are on the right track, the tie-breaker rules applies for the selection of the final sixteen teams.

This is what happens during the Round of Sixteen, Semi-Finals, and Finals (from the FIFA regulations document linked above):

"If, after 90 minutes, a match ends in a draw, extra time of two periods of 15 minutes each will be played. If the score is level after extra time, penalty kicks will be taken to determine the winner in accordance with the procedure described in the Laws of the Game."

Done talking World Cup for the day, now we return to our normal programming of NOT a serious thread.

You are on the right track, the tie-breaker rules applies for the selection of the final sixteen teams.

This is what happens during the Round of Sixteen, Semi-Finals, and Finals (from the FIFA regulations document linked above):

"If, after 90 minutes, a match ends in a draw, extra time of two periods of 15 minutes each will be played. If the score is level after extra time, penalty kicks will be taken to determine the winner in accordance with the procedure described in the Laws of the Game."

Done talking World Cup for the day, now we return to our normal programming of NOT a serious thread.
Thank you :)
.... for taking the trouble to explain it :)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
So it’s an ee sound .... ?
I have no idea what sound Pégasoi make.
Or giraffes, either, come to think of it.
"Eeeeeeeeee" is as good a guess as any.
(I know, that may not have been what you were asking, exactly? But this is absolutely not a linear thread.)

Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
no! no! haud the bus! It is much too warm to waste time knitting socks! go make yourself a Pimm's instead!
haud the bus! common in parts of Scotland: simply means wait!
Ok...just started looking for some patterns...
Yep...must admit it is too warm now..No Pimm's though.

Attachments

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Why are ALL the teams from each group playing their final group match at the same time?

Answer: Due to "NOT a serious game" between Germany and Austria during the 1982 World Cup.

Today is June 25th, and today is the 36th anniversary of the "Disgrace of Gijón." "The Disgrace of Gijón was a 1982 FIFA World Cup football match played between West Germany and Austria at the El Molinón stadium in Gijón, Spain, on 25 June 1982. . ."

Read more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

Buena suerte to your team, y no pares de caminar.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito

Group A:
Uruguay 3, Russia 0
Saudi Arabia 2, Egypt 1

Group B:
Portugal 1, Iran 1
Spain 2, Morocco 2

This is what we have as of now for the OCTAVOS DE FINALES or Final 16.
-- Uruguay, Russia, Portugal, and Spain are moving to the final 16.
-- Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iran, and Morocco are going home.
Note on the four team going home, ALL of them had a good final game . . . it is inspirational to see players competing NOT for GLORY but for HONOR . . . each one of them is "The Man in the Arena."

Leaving you now with President Theodore Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena": “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Thank you for your latest updates!
Took my Spanish flag off my window, no wonder I was the only one to put it up, I thought they’d won :-( Doh.
Still, better Russia than Uruguay? (I’m a complete novice at football).

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Ooooh I get goosebumps when I see Uruguay moving into the final round. A tiny little nation of 3 million people, every one of whom is a complete football fanatic! Go Uruguay!

Camino(s) past & future
Ooooh I get goosebumps when I see Uruguay moving into the final round. A tiny little nation of 3 million people, every one of whom is a complete football fanatic! Go Uruguay!
Nooooo, nooooo! Don’t complicate matters! I root for France cos it’s my country (and I actually like the team,), I have to root for England cos it’s my husband’s country and I live there, I LOVE Spain so I support them too (I half live there and my grand-pa was Spanish) and now, I have a Columbian daughter-in-law I love so....I root for Columbia too.
It’s too much for me :D:oops:
Oh and I like the Belgium too, also a small country, b ut not as small as Uruguay :)
I’ll get my coat!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Wow, as a fan Miss D is all over the map and that is good:
-- France is heading to the finals
-- England is heading to the finals
-- Spain is heading to the finals
-- Colombia could qualify in the final game this week
So, plenty of chances to celebrate victory!
Don't forget the Red Devils. :)

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...

Group A:
Uruguay 3, Russia 0
Saudi Arabia 2, Egypt 1

Group B:
Portugal 1, Iran 1
Spain 2, Morocco 2

This is what we have as of now for the OCTAVOS DE FINALES or Final 16.
-- Uruguay, Russia, Portugal, and Spain are moving to the final 16.
-- Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iran, and Morocco are going home.
Note on the four team going home, ALL of them had a good final game . . . it is inspirational to see players competing NOT for GLORY but for HONOR . . . each one of them is "The Man in the Arena."

Leaving you now with President Theodore Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena": “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
@Sailor the heck sir...really no idea at all but i read & click like! o_O:p

Camino(s) past & future
Nooooo, nooooo! Don’t complicate matters! I root for France cos it’s my country (and I actually like the team,), I have to root for England cos it’s my husband’s country and I live there, I LOVE Spain so I support them too (I half live there and my grand-pa was Spanish) and now, I have a Columbian daughter-in-law I love so....I root for Columbia too.
It’s too much for me :D:oops:
Oh and I like the Belgium too, also a small country, b ut not as small as Uruguay :)
I’ll get my coat!
Good morning, domigee! So glad to see your contribution yesterday. And woke this morning wondering who might come up with a creation to match the horns of a dilemma that you are sitting on... four countries at least! Go to it, people, and stgcph, you do have time before you repack for the umpteenth time and head off on your camino!

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Good morning, domigee! So glad to see your contribution yesterday. And woke this morning wondering who might come up with a creation to match the horns of a dilemma that you are sitting on... four countries at least! Go to it, people, and stgcph, you do have time before you repack for the umpteenth time and head off on your camino!
Here we go again. Good morning? It is 12:31am where I rest.

@domigee has to say: "my mother told me to pick you". At present her loyalties are spread to thin. Making her a Nutella on toast fan.

Camino(s) past & future
And a good morning to you too, @kirkie :)
And to you all!

Camino(s) past & future

@domigee has to say: "my mother told me to pick you". At present her loyalties are spread to thin. Making her a Nutella on toast fan.
So it’s good night to you then @nycwalking :) Sweet dreams

Camino(s) past & future

Hah! You rose to the bait! There is a photo on a blog by Ewald, title is Day three on our Camino Portuguese, of a very present Portuguese mama holding up a fish... I know, I did not mean to exclude you, very big sorry... :oops::oops:

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
@yaying, Qatar will be the host of the next World Cup (in 2022). The games will be in your neighborhood and you will be the expert in your group, just check the simple rules for the final 16 and for the rest of the games (all discussed in my post #1813, linked below). Wow, I can see you in Doha, cooking lapu lapu fish while discussing the games with your friends.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/not-a-serious-thread.51692/page-19#post-633835

Buena suerte, y no pares de caminar.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito

Group C:
Peru 2, Australia 0
Denmark 0, France 0

Group D:
Croatia 2, Iceland 1
Argentina 2, Nigeria 1

The following teams have qualified for the OCTAVOS DE FINALES or Final Sixteens.
Group A - Uruguay and Russia
Group B - Spain and Portugal
Group C - Denmark and France
Group D - Croatia and Argentina

(Qualifiers for Groups E, F, G, and H pending)

Peru, Australia, Nigeria, and Iceland are going home after finishing strong.

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
@yaying, Qatar will be the host of the next World Cup (in 2022). The games will be in your neighborhood and you will be the expert in your group, just check the simple rules for the final 16 and for the rest of the games (all discussed in my post #1813, linked below). Wow, I can see you in Doha, cooking lapu lapu fish while discussing the games with your friends.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/not-a-serious-thread.51692/page-19#post-633835

Buena suerte, y no pares de caminar.
only except 'lapu lapu' i understood o_O:p
sweat & sour will do for the dish? Apparently quit different taste from my beloved country though its less expensive here compare there! can we discuss billiards then?:rolleyes:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
sweat & sour will do for the dish? Apparently quit different taste from my beloved country
1) No.
2) Yes.

Sorry @yaying, a small spelling error made a big change in the recipe. I hope you meant SWEET & sour.

Now this is a good time to mention a time that I messed up with Spanish. I was pretty much by myself at the end of a corridor in a big store here in the States when I was approached by a woman (though at a distance) who asked me a question several times because I kept replying "I don't understand." Finally I heard "Donde estan los banos?" (Where are the bathrooms?) Oh, she was speaking Spanish! Now I had to switch to a language that I hadn't really used in about 20 years. The bathrooms were at the far end of the corridor at the main entrance to the store so I pointed the way and told her "Casa afuera." She turned around and how she kept from laughing I don't know. I immediately realized my mistake and shouted out "Casi afuera, CASI afuera" to let her know that the banos we're at the end of the corridor, almost outside, not at an outhouse in the parking lot.

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
1) No.
2) Yes.

Sorry @yaying, a small spelling error made a big change in the recipe. I hope you meant SWEET & sour.

Now this is a good time to mention a time that I messed up with Spanish. I was pretty much by myself at the end of a corridor in a big store here in the States when I was approached by a woman (though at a distance) who asked me a question several times because I kept replying "I don't understand." Finally I heard "Donde estan los banos?" (Where are the bathrooms?) Oh, she was speaking Spanish! Now I had to switch to a language that I hadn't really used in about 20 years. The bathrooms were at the far end of the corridor at the main entrance to the store so I pointed the way and told her "Casa afuera." She turned around and how she kept from laughing I don't know. I immediately realized my mistake and shouted out "Casi afuera, CASI afuera" to let her know that the banos we're at the end of the corridor, almost outside, not at an outhouse in the parking lot.
:D LOL before i felt my shamefulness!!! thanks for correcting me!
indeed sir @Rick of Rick and Peg i meant sugary taste blend with sour.
@Sailor please dont be scared it was purely mistake i admit and i really mean to offer the sugary taste blend with sour not the perspiration. :confused: good intention bad effect hehehehe

Camino(s) past & future
In the spirit in which the World Cup venue is decided, I shall give a pair of red socks to anyone on the forum who can influence the outcome of the World Cup in favour of Uruguay. Several pairs. Merino ones.
And what about those who prefer tennis, and count Rod Laver as number one of all time?...

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
I interrupt all this talk about soccer with something completely different. It has nothing to do with elephants, red socks or anything, just a little story that I thought I would share, and which could be titled ‘What may Happen to You when You do Your Training Walks in a Capital Area’.

I have different training routes, one of them a 20/25 km. which is ‘pork chop shaped’ in the sense, that there is a 4 km. ‘shaft’ that I have to walk both going out and going back in order to avoid walking some heavily traficated roads. The rest is a nice walk through some quiet suburban areas and out to the coast.

It so happens, that on the ‘shaft, several foreign embassies are located, one of them considered specifically sensitive, so that, by order of the Danish Government, a number of Danish policemen are constantly on guard there in addition to the embassy’s own security staff. The other side of the street is lined with big trees and almost opposite the embassy, there is a bench in the shadow.

My walking statistics tells me, that last summer I did this route 13 times and I made it a habit on the way home, after having walked 17 or 22 km. to take a short rest on this bench and have a drink of water before the last kilometers through the city.

Yesterday I took this walk again (fourth time this summer) and as always took a small rest on the bench. After a few minutes a security officer appeared from the embassy pretending to check the vertical steel pillows (disguised with plants and bushes) that blocks the side street into the embassy, while all the time looking directly at me from across the street and talking into his neck microphone. He was easily identifiable in his MIB outfit: Black suit, tie and reflecting sunglasses.

Shortly after a Danish police officer made a relaxed stroll across the street towards me. He was middle aged, smiling and looking friendly. “Good afternoon, sir, how are you today” he said and I said “Good afternoon officer, very well thank you, and you?”

And then we had a little conversation about the hot weather, the lack of rain, the consequences for the farmers and other small talk, and all the time I knew his mission. So at last he said “You know, my friend over there (and he nodded towards the MIB) has been here for a long time and he has noted, that you come here and sit here often, and he wonders why”.

So I told him that I was a walker and this was one of my training routes, etc, etc. –everything very relaxed and in a friendly ‘non-interrogation’ atmosphere.

So I shouldered my backpack and the officer said “Good bye sir, and have a nice day” and I said “Good bye officer, give my regards to your friend and tell him not to worry, and that I will be back several times during the next months”.

I walked on feeling quite pleased being assessed as a potential secret agent. I will walk this route again tomorrow and I will give a friendly smile and a wave to the forest of surveillance cameras.

Camino(s) past & future
I interrupt all this talk about soccer with something completely different. It has nothing to do with elephants, red socks or anything, just a little story that I thought I would share, and which could be titled ‘What may Happen to You when You do Your Training Walks in a Capital Area’.

I have different training routes, one of them a 20/25 km. which is ‘pork chop shaped’ in the sense, that there is a 4 km. ‘shaft’ that I have to walk both going out and going back in order to avoid walking some heavily traficated roads. The rest is a nice walk through some quiet suburban areas and out to the coast.

It so happens, that on the ‘shaft, several foreign embassies are located, one of them considered specifically sensitive, so that, by order of the Danish Government, a number of Danish policemen are constantly on guard there in addition to the embassy’s own security staff. The other side of the street is lined with big trees and almost opposite the embassy, there is a bench in the shadow.

My walking statistics tells me, that last summer I did this route 13 times and I made it a habit on the way home, after having walked 17 or 22 km. to take a short rest on this bench and have a drink of water before the last kilometers through the city.

Yesterday I took this walk again (fourth time this summer) and as always took a small rest on the bench. After a few minutes a security officer appeared from the embassy pretending to check the vertical steel pillows (disguised with plants and bushes) that blocks the side street into the embassy, while all the time looking directly at me from across the street and talking into his neck microphone. He was easily identifiable in his MIB outfit: Black suit, tie and reflecting sunglasses.

Shortly after a Danish police officer made a relaxed stroll across the street towards me. He was middle aged, smiling and looking friendly. “Good afternoon, sir, how are you today” he said and I said “Good afternoon officer, very well thank you, and you?”

And then we had a little conversation about the hot weather, the lack of rain, the consequences for the farmers and other small talk, and all the time I knew his mission. So at last he said “You know, my friend over there (and he nodded towards the MIB) has been here for a long time and he has noted, that you come here and sit here often, and he wonders why”.

So I told him that I was a walker and this was one of my training routes, etc, etc. –everything very relaxed and in a friendly ‘non-interrogation’ atmosphere.

So I shouldered my backpack and the officer said “Good bye sir, and have a nice day” and I said “Good bye officer, give my regards to your friend and tell him not to worry, and that I will be back several times during the next months”.

I walked on feeling quite pleased being assessed as a potential secret agent. I will walk this route again tomorrow and I will give a friendly smile and a wave to the forest of surveillance cameras.
Oh, thank God! I thought you were going to say something had gone wrong!

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
So glad nothing terrible happened to you.
I honestly thank you for your concern, but what could possibly have happened to me - walking the streets of my own city in my own country sitting on a bench in a public area?

This was just a little funny and peaceful incident, nothing else.

But yes @Sailor, there’s not much doubt that I am on more kilometers of film than many a Hollywood actor :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
I honestly thank you for your concern, but what could possibly have happened to me - walking the streets of my own city in my own country sitting on a bench in a public area?

This was just a little funny and peaceful incident, nothing else.

But yes @Sailor, there’s not much doubt that I am on more kilometers of film than many a Hollywood actor :cool:
The world seems to have gone crazy. At least from from my, (residing in NEW good ole USofA perspective), any number of things could have transpired.

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
Yes, there is certainly room for improvement in this world. I have the good fortune of living in a place, that is still relatively peaceful –but who knows for how long. If this security officer or this police officer had begun appearing intimidating, I would have just told them to go jump in the lake :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
May I tell a security story? Never mind, I will anyway. Peg and I are flying out of Amsterdam about 20 years ago, pre-9/11. We were surprised to see everyone having to talk to a security agent before being allowed into a pre-boarding room. This was before heavier American security. Anyway, a young lady was interviewing us about our destination and where we had been. Shortly she excused herself and told us to wait. It was easy to see that she was going to talk to her supervisor. She came back and let us enter the room. I kept wondering what had happened. Once in the air I figured it out. She was told that older married couples don't have to rehearse made up stories to pass through security; they just naturally have the ability to constantly say the same thing at the same time.

Camino(s) past & future
Ho hum. Drinking a cup of tea while waiting in airport to meet an elderly neighbour. Plane delayed. Reading ‘The Old Ways’ by Robert Macfarlane. I found a new word: bindlestiff. Has the feeling of being German in origin, and I will check that out later. A quick foray in google gave me a definition that is quite descriptive! I think pilgrims are bindlestiffs! Hey! Bindlestiff! Buen Camino!

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%